Kilts and Their Cousins

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilts and Their Cousins

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Young man, you are unlikely to have any contact with The Kilt Police [...]
Nice to read you Rod, I'd been a bit worried about the absence and had horrid thoughts about the fainting episode from a few weeks back.

What, then, about the single guy who doesn't have a SWMBO? Some of like skirts, too.
Carl....In my experience , if a man cannot learn how to successfully wear his own style of attire in his community by the time he retires,
then he may have a problem on his hands.....

Please remember that our parents were our original mentors....followed by our family and community.....
There have been many webb sites over the years ....Many of my mentors would now be over eighty years old......

It is reasonable to assume that there always have been regional variations in the in the style of garments worn by the male over 50 years from the
time he started work to the time when he is exploring his lifestyle in his retirement...

It is unfortunate to recount that I was once informed .........................

If some of the male population had any more brains ,they could become plants ......L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl....Back in the last centuary ...when I was a Teenage Apprentice .....we had a Welsh Machine Setter who set up the production machines
for the apprentices to act as cheap labour and make engineering components for the Wessex Helo with the early Dunking Sonar on a winch......

The machines were originally belt driven and were converted to individual electric motors......
They were American Warner and Swassy ......War Loan machines ....
Probably up to twenty years old , and ran for 24 hours a day during wartime production.................

It was suggested that our Welsh Setter should be sent to the Annual Crufts Dog Show .....as he might win a prize.................Rod
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It has been pointed out to me that the acronym RSO is not in as widespread use as I thought. For those in the know I apologise for this explanation but for those not it stands for Round Spherical Objects. In other words - balls.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:I have been ok since last faint.....
It is good news, indeed, that it wasn't cardiac-related. The issue now is to stop from falling over from it because that can easily lead to other traumatic injury.

I hope this passes quickly!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your good wishes Carl.....I was sitting down at a dining table.....I felt a bit giddy and just collapsed on the floor.
Perhaps this a warning to us all................Possibly Vertigo problems....Diagnosed as inexplicable faint ............... Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Please allow me to respond to Fred's Post on this Thread .....22 Febuary......Reference ......American Utilikilt.......

This garment was described in one of my reference books ,...by its designer and manufacturer in Seattle as ......A Man-Skirt.......
.....A derivation of the Scottish Kilt....But not a Kilt .....due to the design of this American male Man-Skirt.

As we claim to be Men in Skirts.....we would do well to know exactly what we are talking about when we are confronted
by S.W.M.B.O. or the Kilt Police.......

If we are not confident when we are approached by Joe Public ,.....it is reasonable to assume that they will laugh at us.......

It is my opinion that The Men in Skirts are fit to wear any style of skirt they wish to wear....
but we are all well advised to know what we are talking about when we are out on the Street................
We put our cause to a disadvantage if we cannot promote Men in Skirts when we are out on the Street

Please note that I am leaving the Traditional Scottish Kilt out of this post..............weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:If we are not confident when we are approached by Joe Public ,.....it is reasonable to assume that they will laugh at us.......
Indeed. If one does not convey the impression of confidence then much is lost, and snickers will likely be the result.

Hence:
It is my opinion that The Men in Skirts are fit to wear any style of skirt they wish to wear....
but we are all well advised to know what we are talking about when we are out on the Street................
We put our cause to a disadvantage if we cannot promote Men in Skirts when we are out on the Street
This is one of the reasons why I promote the notion of each and every one of of finding a style that they like, expand on it, and truly make it their own. This automatically confers a level of confidence -- which shows -- and also promotes a potentially vast array of styles that could have the potential to enrich general culture as we know it.

Break free of the chains of convention. Explore cut, colour, fabric, and all the potential combinations thereof! Be yourself! Don't be a copy.

Personally, I am drawn to Victorian and neo-Victorian styles. I don't know why, and perhaps I never will, but it explains my taste for long skirts, waistcoats, and pocket-watches. I've also made that look mine. However, that being said, and today being one of the first warm weekend days since last autumn, I'm headed out in my yellow mini, a burgundy waistcoat and burgundy opaque legwear simply so I can thumb my nose at winter until we wind up below the freezing mark again next week (because winter isn't over yet). So, yes, getting out of one's comfort zone occasionally is good for the soul.
Please note that I am leaving the Traditional Scottish Kilt out of this post..............weeladdie
Yes you did! :wink:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In S W Cornwall temp has risen to 15 C to 20 C by day sometimes down to 5 C at night.....clocks are changing so it will be dark at 8 P M tomorrow
evening....A bit cooler with a northerly wind .

We had our average March rainfall in the first two weeks of the month ,so it was predicted that this March might be the wettest since 1947.....
Luckily we have had very little rain since.....

Going back to summer skirts with elasticated waistbands ....I only wore black leggings or black long johns for about one month in the
depths of our winter...the rest of the time I have been bare legged with ankle sox......Sometimes with male lace up shoes or
flat soled zip up knee high boots .....there were plenty of flat soled female boots on the market this winter.

Another smarter skirt was my below the knee straight black skirt with a vent in the rear of the hem.............favourite jacket was male
traditional tweed sports jacket with pockets for wallet ,Glasses and car keys .....this jacket had normal three pockets... plus 3 Ticket pockets...

Good Value at five pounds in a charity shop....hardly worn...

Anyone who is interested in a new style garment for their wardrobe can try on these garments in the charity shops....
I will not buy a garment in a charity shop unless I am prepared to walk out of the shop wearing the garment.........

At the start of my summer skirt wearing season late last year.....I always wore my 17 C Replica Drovers Sporran on a leather belt.....
The sporran was ideal for carrying my spectacles.....however when it became cold enough to wear my sports jacket , I carried my spectacles
in the breast pocket of the jacket and gave up wearing my sporran....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

A Question for Carl.....for your business attire , do you wear a jacket, collar and tie with your waistcoat ?............

To go with my new Kilt I purchased a day wear Scottish Argyll Kilt Jacket and matching waistcoat ,.....both garments in dark charcoal grey tweed.....
Ideal when worn with a white collar and tie.

Somewhere I have a Nearly Black Clerical Suit with trousers ...I have not worn this suit for over seven years....Latterly this suit was only
worn to funerals.........

Most of my trips are casual and I find my summer skirts are easy to wear...usually a different garment for each consecutive day....weeladdie
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sinned wrote:It has been pointed out to me that the acronym RSO is not in as widespread use as I thought. For those in the know I apologise for this explanation but for those not it stands for Round Spherical Objects. In other words - balls.
In my world, RSO = Radiation Safety Officer. I was a deputy RSO for quite a few years.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:A Question for Carl.....for your business attire , do you wear a jacket, collar and tie with your waistcoat ?
I don't typically wear a jacket, but all of my "normal" (read, "non-ruffled" shirts) have collars, and every so often I've been known to wear a neck-tie or occasionally an ascot/cravat around my neck. I think that a little added kick of colour is always worthwhile.

Some of my skirts are in "subdued" colours (black, navy blue, &c) but most are much brighter including shades of teal, yellow, red, and purple. Legwear is much the same with a wide variation in colour. Usually I try to put something together in the morning that is reasonably harmonious, but once in a great while I'll throw caution to the wind and deliberately mix things up at random.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Sinned wrote:It has been pointed out to me that the acronym RSO is not in as widespread use as I thought. For those in the know I apologise for this explanation but for those not it stands for Round Spherical Objects. In other words - balls.
Or Range Safety Officer.

Or see: https://www.acronymfinder.com/RSO.html

:D :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Acronyms! A friend of mine was at a high level corporate meeting and was very embarrassed having to ask the meaning of an acronym that everyone was mentioning. Not one person knew the answer! He didn't feel so bad after that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:A Question for Carl.....for your business attire , do you wear a jacket, collar and tie with your waistcoat ?
I don't typically wear a jacket, but all of my "normal" (read, "non-ruffled" shirts) have collars, and every so often I've been known to wear a neck-tie or occasionally an ascot/cravat around my neck. I think that a little added kick of colour is always worthwhile.

Some of my skirts are in "subdued" colours (black, navy blue, &c) but most are much brighter including shades of teal, yellow, red, and purple. Legwear is much the same with a wide variation in colour. Usually I try to put something together in the morning that is reasonably harmonious, but once in a great while I'll throw caution to the wind and deliberately mix things up at random.
Thanks for your response....I often wear white Civilian Government Issue shirts with double breast pockets and epaulettes....nice long tails....
I am used to wearing a Tie ......I might try a cravat for a change .....a bit out of fashion these days in my neck of the woods.....

Wore an 8 Yard Traditional Scottish Kilt out for Sunday lunch today ...no comments.

Today is Mothering Sunday in U.K......not traditionally a day to take mother out for lunch....
Mothering Sunday refered the Religious Day when everyone returned to the Church where they were baptised...............Rod.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:I often wear white Civilian Government Issue shirts with double breast pockets and epaulettes....nice long tails....
I'd like to find a supplier of such styles here in the States. Epaulettes lend a sense of gravitas and the extra pocket up front is a big convenience.