I am Wearing My Scottish Tartan Kilt In 2019

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

I am Wearing My Scottish Tartan Kilt In 2019

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am starting this thread as a reference to members of this forum who are still wearing their Scottish Tartan Kilts
anywhere in the World in 2019

I was wearing my Scottish Tartan Kilt in S.W. Cornwall U.K. this week........

The story of the Original Kilt Wearing Tribes is somewhat complex due to the constant migration of members of the
various Tribes between what we know as U.K., ... Scandanavia , Brittany , Europe , The Provinces , The Old Colonies
and The New World.

One of the unfortunate facts is that we loose the trace of the Old Celtic, Gallic and Pictish Names when the Female marries
and takes her Husband's Surname.

Much of the migration was carried out during Traditional Sea Trading and Invasions up to more than 2000 years ago....weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I am Wearing My Scottish Tartan Kilt In 2019

Post by Kirbstone »

I like kilts and this one is a bit shorter than standard, but nice with it.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Good kilt, Tom. Is it the 18“ length, that is generally aimed at women? I have been tempted to invest in one of those myself, especially in a tasteful purple colour like yours. But I have never yielded to that temptation, because I reckon that decades of conditioning about what a man's kilt should look like would shout "too short" inside my head.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Tom,
Great looking Kilt! I like the pattern on it, it makes it look natural on you. :D

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alastair, yes that conditioning takes some overcoming. I don't have issues about wearing a short kilt or any short skirt for that matter but I do have issues elsewhere such as wearing dresses. I suppose that we all have something that holds us back. Don't worry about an 18" kilt - try one and if it looks good and presentable then go with it. Would you wear an 18" ordinary skirt that wasn't kilt-like?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Loads of them, and I wear them plenty, bare legged in summer and with tights in winter. But somehow I think it would be different for a kilt. I'm not saying this is rational!

My tartan kilt is the standard length, just reaching the floor when I kneel. That's about 24". Maybe I should stick with it and maybe even wear it more often.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I hate saying this but the length makes one of the differences between a Kilt and a kilt.
Just semantics, the garment is still the same.
I would concur fully that Kirbstone carries it perfectly well and that we should have no reticence in playing with the bunkum that passes as rules for our national dress,
My thoughts are to have a bespoke Billie kilt made. That will depend on time, funds and inclination. The cross-aisle off the peg ones are just a tad too short for me these days but never say never either.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Right on the button, Alastair. That 'Heritage of Scotland' kilt was a 19 incher aimed at the fair sex.

Too short to wear 'out' in my mind, but fun to wear round the grounds or walking the dogs across the moor.

I do possess however a proper H. of S. kilt which I like a lot because of the colour.

Tom
K38 Burns night toast.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

STEVIE wrote:I hate saying this but the length makes one of the differences between a Kilt and a kilt.
Just semantics, the garment is still the same.
I would concur fully that Kirbstone carries it perfectly well and that we should have no reticence in playing with the bunkum that passes as rules for our national dress,
My thoughts are to have a bespoke Billie kilt made. That will depend on time, funds and inclination. The cross-aisle off the peg ones are just a tad too short for me these days but never say never either.
Steve.
My thoughts are to have a bespoke Billie kilt made

LINK - pictures of Billie kilts (cross-aisle off the peg ones are just a tad too short):

Most of the eBay Billie kilts are made and sold in the UK and a few in Canada and then there are those
made in Pakistan India and recent sources in Arabia made with cheap labor quality not all the great.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... T&_sacat=0

LINK - SportKilt women's kilts:

https://sportkilt.com/product-category/womens-kilts/

The manufacture and sales of kilts in the USA while not overwhelming is gradually making their mark especially
those Utility or hiking kilts.

Wearing a Billie kilt or SportKilt mini or ultra mini kilt is going to need exact fitting placement on the hips - low waist
Suggested hem length should be 14 inches if at 12 inches you will not be covering much territory.
Even at 14 a good supporting clause in the underwear is needed to past muster.
Sitting Reaching Bending Over are all going to be a challenge.
Also note that the Billie and women's SportKilt kilts are wider at the hem think "A" Line designed to be worn off the hips.

These mini-kilts are mostly for summer seasonal wear but can be worn in the winter with leggings jeggings tights.
Anything to keep the chill off the naked legs and the drafty posterior.
Yes I have two of these and wear them with leggings and ankle boots in the winter.

The standard kilt length measurement for a 6 foot bloke is 24 inches - from navel to knee on the floor.
Thus I believe Kirbstones height is 6' 3" and that short H of S fits remarkably well as well as the standard one.

Showing the leg is OK - Formal kilts should break covering the knobby portion of the knee.
Most of my casual kilts are hemmed at 16 inches and are perfect year round.
I like the SportKilt ones best as the waist is fastened like a wrap skirt with a Velcro closing multi-adjustable waist fitting
no belts buckles braces suspenders required.

On eBay the Billie kilts are reasonable priced but it the Shipping & Handling that is sales killing factor.
SportKilt kilts start at $50 and frequently they have discount and free S & H sales.

Now is an especially difficult time to order a Green Tartan skirt kilt - St Pat's day just around the corner.

In closing never forget that a KILT is a MAN'S SKIRT and that women have taken to wearing pants for some time now
and they are starting to wearing our kilts --- Billie kilts mini-kilts or whatever you want to call them.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

RMA, I enjoy flattery, like most people.

As a young hunk in my 20s I topped out at 6'2", but a serious lower back op. in 1996, which ultimately freed me of searing pain for good, robbed me of half an inch, but I am more than happy to live with that, so the shank measurement, waist to the knee remains unaltered at around 24 inches.

Tom