Wore My Scottish Kilt In Febuary

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Wore My Scottish Kilt In Febuary

Post by weeladdie18 »

Wore my Scottish Kilt again in February yesterday . No one noticed,...Definitely warmer than a skirt at 10 C to 12 C.....
Pleasant sunny afternoon .....Only saw two or three elderly lassies just wearing skirts and nylon tights.......

I feel I am loosing a bit of my excess weight....This Kilt has nice long waist straps for adjustment.

As usual the biggest problem was getting comfortably seated behind the steering wheel of my car
whilst sitting on seven yards of pleats.....Still worth the effort for the warmth and comfort....

Perhaps the answer is to wrap a towel around my waist to hold the pleats in place ...
whilst getting comfortably seated behind my steering wheel.............

The garment was nice and free and comfortable whilst sitting at a dining table .
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wore My Scottish Kilt In Febuary

Post by r.m.anderson »

You need to practice in using the hand to swoosh and sit on the pleats - yes some of the pleats will not muster correctly
but for the most part the pleats can take a beating because they are a permanent fixture of the kilt.
Reminds me of a short video clip I saw awhile back about a lassie getting into/out of a car without showing her knickers.
A simple matter of running the hand(s) (or both if you can do it) down the back side and promptly sitting down on the
gathered pleats - then pivoting the legs inside the car. Unless it is an extremely hot day and driving a great distance
the pleats will do fine - the Box pleated and Double Box pleats may pose problems but still yet the swoosh and sit works.
Cupping and holding the fabric firmly while sitting will keep things in order.
The usual Practice makes perfect - NO CORRECT that to "Perfect Practice make perfect" !

Remember to leave room to fasten the seat belt !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

kilt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your comments .I am just out of practice at moving backwards and downwards to sit neatly on my pleats
whilst smoothing them out with both hands .

Much easier in a full skirt with no pleats....The easy solution is not to wear a Kilt if intending to drive....
Being a wee laddie with wee legs short legs does not help as I am much closer to the steering wheel....

Perhaps I should get a Vintage Mini Car or even a Vespa Bubble Car with a front opening door.......L O L
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred... Please member that if any Man in the Street mentions bagpipes , remind him that it takes seven years to
play the pipes correctly.....when the piper goes for his annual M.O.T. with his pipes , ..............
he has to sound... " An Audible Warning of Approach ".... and submit and pass emission of exhaust gas requirements.....

Bagpipe M.O.T. .........Most Orrible Tone.... for this Weapon of War................L O L
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Earlier I would have said the same. But after having got a car in which I sit high, I don’t feel it as a problem at all, neither getting seated nor sit in a kilt. And that, despite we continental Europeans have a handicap regarding the position of the steering wheel and the direction of the pleats.

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

You are correct ...most modern large cars do have higher seats....
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

No more hiding behind the steering wheel.
Took a refresher over 55 Driver Safety Course to get a reduction in insurance premium.
The recommendation is that the eyes be at a minimum 3 inches over the top of the steering wheel
and the chest be at least 10 inches away from the center of the steering wheel airbag compartment.
Even better if you can see across the entire hood (UK bonnet).

Photo image by GerdG - *"PERFECT"*
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

About 5 years ago I was caught in a speed camera travelling at traffic speed at 6 A M. The result was that if I paid a fine as payment for
a safety awareness course I would not get any points on my licence

The course was run by a couple of driving instructors.....The whole problem is that if one drives at 40 m.p.h. instead of the restricted 30 m.p.h.
a small child may run out in front of you,...an you may not be able to stop quickly enough to prevent a fatality.....

One of the problems the instructors had at a previous course was that a husband and his wife both attended the same course without
informing their partner that they had been caught in a speed trap....The result was a family disagreement in the lecture room....
and both parties were thrown out of the safety course..............L.O.L.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

In my case, no airbag in my daily drivers... Both of them are too old (one is 35 years old this month, the other one is 37 years old next month).

Besides, I'd rather be gripping the Momo wheel in my car than the airbag wheel that was used on the 1990 and newer 240 series cars, complete with the 1st generation IED (improvised explosive device). Photo above shows the 35 year old car. Seats are a bit worn, but comfortable.

Re: tartan kilt wearing, for me that would've been sometime between November and February, back when I wore them. They are just too warm the rest of the year. I no longer wear them, partly because I've discovered that layering provides me with the same warmth in cold weather, and partly because I do kinda like being a bit more anonymous than I was when I wore a wool kilt everywhere.

With respect to the pleats and driving, having a car with leather interior does help. Makes it easier to slide across the seat, whereas, with a cloth or velour fabric seat, the pleats will wind up hanging somewhere between the door and the seat. Not a few of them, but, frequently all of them. Utilikilts with their pleating are a bit easier to deal with in a cloth interior car, since only 1/2 of the pleats in the back go against the travel direction of someone's rearend. A pleated skirt is a lot easier, since it's usually quite a bit thinner, fabric-wise, so a quick sweep while sitting down is enough.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kilted_John wrote:
Re: tartan kilt wearing, for me that would've been sometime between November and February, back when I wore them. They are just too warm the rest of the year. I no longer wear them, partly because I've discovered that layering provides me with the same warmth in cold weather, and partly because I do kinda like being a bit more anonymous than I was when I wore a wool kilt everywhere.

With respect to the pleats and driving, having a car with leather interior does help. Makes it easier to slide across the seat, whereas, with a cloth or velour fabric seat, the pleats will wind up hanging somewhere between the door and the seat. Not a few of them, but, frequently all of them. Utilikilts with their pleating are a bit easier to deal with in a cloth interior car, since only 1/2 of the pleats in the back go against the travel direction of someone's rearend. A pleated skirt is a lot easier, since it's usually quite a bit thinner, fabric-wise, so a quick sweep while sitting down is enough.
Thank you John ,for your comments on Traditional Tartan Kilt wearing...
It is interesting to note that many folks have a variety of reasons for not continuing or even starting to wear to wear the Kilt.........
It is interesting that the popularity of the Kilt would seem to be on the decline since the passing of our fathers' generation.....

However the interest in the Men in Skirts style of attire does seem to be on the increase with the mature male.......
The variations in Men in Skirts Attire are obvious from the world wide interest in this trend.................weeladdie