Robert BURNS night

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Robert BURNS night

Post by r.m.anderson »

OK it is January 25th - time to celebrate Robert BURNS night !
Go out - enjoy the night - wear your kilt or skirt or whatever you want to call it.
Eat Haggis - well maybe on second thought Pizza and beer (scotch and pizza is not a common denomination)!
But you get the idea - celebrate something - anything - be happy in spite of SHUT DOWN and BREXIT and
dictators in South America (how did that get in here) - no border walls keeping you from wearing your best !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Robert BURNS night

Post by weeladdie18 »

r.m.anderson wrote:OK it is January 25th - time to celebrate Robert BURNS night !
Go out - enjoy the night - wear your kilt or skirt or whatever you want to call it.
Eat Haggis - well maybe on second thought Pizza and beer (scotch and pizza is not a common denomination)!
But you get the idea - celebrate something - anything - be happy in spite of SHUT DOWN and BREXIT and
dictators in South America (how did that get in here) - no border walls keeping you from wearing your best !
Robbie Burns was a Customs Officer , as far as I am aware , he served as a Revenue Man on a Coastguard Cutter, He was a womaniser and a lover.
He is Scotland's Immortal Baird. It was claimed that he came from Alloa in the Scottish Lowlands.....

The traditional Scottish meal connected with Burn Night is Haggis ,with Bashed Neaps and Tatties....Basically a poor mans meal.

At a ceremonial supper on Burns Night , the Ceremonial Haggis is piped in to the top table and presented to the head of table by the Chef .
Usually the Chef and the Piper are presented with a wee Dram of whisky. The ritual of the Ode to the haggis is performed and the plated
meal is presented to the diners. There is much merriment with the presentation of the life and works of Burns presented to the Diners.

This is followed by singing and dancing a mixture of Scottish Country Dancing and traditional ballroom dancing.....by Scottish Ex Pats and their
English Neighbours.............Back in the old days we went a bash with dining for a 100 guests...Probably 50 Kilties at the do.

One of my old workmates was a retired Miliary Officer ...he recieted the Ode to the Haggis in the Officers Mess in Hong Cong.

Our Piper was in the R.A.F.....When he was serving in Malaya the team were flown in whith a spare engine for a plane which was grounded on
a deserted airfield......their task was to get a ton of engine out of the transport and into the downed aircraft.....

His only comment was ... " There is no problem , only a solution." This is the Spirit Of Scotland .....I will drink to that , with another wee dram.