A lovely kilt surprise

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A lovely kilt surprise

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:... and packed 6!!!!

Nearly right, Sinned! Actually it was one kilt and 5 other skirts.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:The "edit" button appears in your own posts, but only for a certain length of time. [...]
Thanks for getting that sorted Alastair! That saved me from having to go and look in on the controls to find all the relevant data-points.

The reason for having a finite window for editing posts is that in the past we've had folks who've flounced from the forum in a huff, taken a few parting shots at the folks here, and then gone back and deleted every character save one from their posts. This destroys much of the context in the forum and makes it difficult to follow historical threads. Also, from time to time, I find it necessary to limit edit/delete privilege because some members abuse it and that also causes severe context problems if it's rampant enough. That last case, however, is fortunately very unusual.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, Alastair, semantics as a kilt is a skirt. :D I'll forgive you though and thanks for the acknowledgement. I mentioned 6 because that's what I would have done.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Indeed it is, Dennis. All kilts are skirts, but not all skirts are kilts. Can you imagine the size of suitcase you'd need for 5 kilts? Whereas my 5 non kilt skirts fitted easily into my cabin bag, with a load of other stuff. But then there was no room left for tr**sers. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I have taken my kilt to California, worn it camping near Uluru (Ayers Rock), Australia, walked about Wellington, NZ, and have used it in South Africa to go to restaurants in Cape Town.

It's 9lb in weight, but it's worth the hassle of taking it due to the fabulous reactions!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

skirtyscot wrote:Indeed it is, Dennis. All kilts are skirts, but not all skirts are kilts. Can you imagine the size of suitcase you'd need for 5 kilts? Whereas my 5 non kilt skirts fitted easily into my cabin bag, with a load of other stuff. But then there was no room left for tr**sers. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
So true... I packed a kilt for a vacation and it took up so much space... whereas my skirts are so easy to pack as there's no pleats to take care of :roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I recently did a Ryanair to Germany to meet among others, a friend who would be kilted, so I chose a light viscose leisure kilt in McKenzie modern with a heavy broad belt & buckle designed for holding up much heavier kilts, no sporran, alas, but a pair of heavy knee-high kilt socks. These items allowed me pack all the rest of my gear without going over the limit.
It went down a wow anyway with the group I joined and no-one missed the sporran except me. It was late Summer, no jacket, no pockets, but my friend tucked my wallet into his sporran when we were out & about.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have a Kilt Tube ,supplied by one of the Scottish High Street Kilt Makers. .....The tube is laid out flat.
The Kilt is laid, in its three layers, on top of the opened out tube . The cover and the Kilt are rolled up and Velcro fastened to the tube ends..... The tube has an adjustable shoulder strap.

Called a Kilt Tube or Kilt carrier...

A handy way to carry a Kilt without creasing the Pleats.....I prefer not to wear a Kilt when spending a
day on the cross country train from Penzance to Edinburgh and change for Inverness in the Highlands.

0830 to 2330 in the evening....The train crew and the catering staff and their supplies of buffet snacks
are changed every three hours.

For the train spotters ...I understand there is a new Express on the line .................

Penzance , Plymouth, Exeter , Bristol , Berwick on Tweed ,Edinburgh , Glasgow.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Uncle Al wrote:The "EDIT" button appears on the bottom right of each
and every post. Next to the "QUOTE" button. You may
need to scroll down a bit to find it.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Uncle Al The edit button does not show on your post . ....3 november
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Uncle Al ....Edit Button now showing on Posts dated 7 November.....I see Carl made a comment
re this issue on 3 Nov...Thank you Carl......Thank you Alistair for your clarification ..weeladdie
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Ray ...Your Kilt sounds heavy at 9 pounds.....My 8 yard 16 ounce Kilt weighs 5 pounds...............

The 50 year old Military Kilts were 20 ounce so they would have weighed 6 pounds.
For the mathematicians the yardage weight is for double width material.

Sometimes the material is cut in half length ways so four yards are sewn end to end with the selvage
on the hem of the Kilt.

We are getting into the world of the Flying Scotsman................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

[quote="skirtyscot"]Indeed it is, Dennis. All kilts are skirts, but not all skirts are kilts. Can you imagine the size of suitcase you'd need for 5 kilts? Whereas my 5 non kilt skirts fitted easily into my cabin bag, with a load of other stuff. But then there was no room left for tr**sers. Oh dear, how sad, never mind
Gentlemen this post is irrelevant to the O.P. Thread
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

WL, a kilt is a skirt. I bet you can't come up with a definition of "kilt" which neither uses the word "skirt" nor describes it in a way which would equally describe a skirt. To say it is normally worn by men is only a secondary part of the definition, so not really helpful unless the reader knows something about our culture. And to say only that it is normally worn by men is to fail to define it at all. A tie fits that description nicely, but it's not a kilt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, a kilt is a skirt. Definition: "a garment resembling a knee-length skirt of pleated tartan cloth, traditionally worn by men as part of Scottish Highland dress and now also worn by women and girls." Another garment taken by the females, so not exclusively for males any longer. So, WL, your limiting the kilt to men is patently incorrect. You can look on ebay and see thousands of kilts for women. Mostly shorter than the men's version but kilts nonetheless.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtyscot wrote:WL, a kilt is a skirt. I bet you can't come up with a definition of "kilt" which neither uses the word "skirt" nor describes it in a way which would equally describe a skirt. To say it is normally worn by men is only a secondary part of the definition, so not really helpful unless the reader knows something about our culture. And to say only that it is normally worn by men is to fail to define it at all. A tie fits that description nicely, but it's not a kilt.
You have stated the secondary part of your Quote . You have not stated the primary part of your quote.
You have not stated the Academic Scource of your Quote . Your Quote is not open for debate.
Your post is irrelevant to the O.P. thread ...............
If you wish to discuss your opinions regarding the Male Scottish National Dress I would suggest you air
your views on an international Kilt Forum where there are Scottish Highlanders who have worn the Kilt as part of their Traditional Male Family Attire ....................weeladdie