Celtic festivals, historical reenactments, fairs

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Celtic festivals, historical reenactments, fairs

Post by mishawakaskirt »

For those in the USA. (Or very die-hard Travelers) there is an 2 day event on October 6th and 7th called the Feast of the Hunter's Moon. If anyone is a Kiltie or a history buff. It's Well worth the trip to West Lafayette IN. Many neat sights , sounds, eats, and men in kilts.
https://festivalnet.com/49433/West-Lafa ... ter-s-Moon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Celtic festivals, historical reenactments, fairs

Post by Bikerkilt »

I'll keep this in mine if I happen to be going that way.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Here in Cornwall the Archeologists have explored and excavated the Old Celtic Villages which were
Inhabited before the Roman Armies invaded what is now the British Isles.
I visited the Fisherman's Mission in Brest when we were on a Yacht Delivery some forty years ago.
There was a map of the Breton version of the old celtic lands. Brittany was La Petite Bretagne.

Scotland , Ireland ,Wales and Cornwall were identified as La Grande Bretagne.
The area known as England was left blank on the map.

It is claimed that the Viking Traders sailed to all the above lands in their summer voyages from
Scotland as settlers in Scotland. The voyage is known as the Celtic Way.
Each of the Celtic Lands now has its own tartans and the Kilt is worn.....An interesting and
complicated story..................weeladdie
noeleena

Post by noeleena »

Hi,

It seems there are a few here who are interested in their history and thats sounds good to myself as we are in new Zealand and have many clans over here so will be interesting in finding out some more info we lack

I,m involved with out Scottisch soc so is quite importaint to us and with our Name of Loch-head.and the Scots will know the meaning. history going back to 1225.or so, so be lovely to find out more.

And yes this is a Lass,

...noeleena...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome noeleena. The is a meeting place for skirt wearers and whilst the majority of us are men who advocate the wearing of dresses and skirts with a side dish of other things to support them we would welcome anyone who has the same outlook, irrespective of sex or gender. So have a latte, pull up a chair around the potted palm and tell us a little about yourself and experiences.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Hi noeleena,

Welcome to the best place to learn about skirting and it's history as concerning men. Please join in where ever and when ever you like.

Fred
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Hello Noeleena . Welcome ...Please tell us some of your story.....there have been constant migrations from Scotland to the Old Colonies
from the Times of the English Civil War, during which the Jacobite Rebellion took place , to modern times.
The genes of the old tribes survive in the facial features of today' s citizens around the World....
Many of the Tartans worn today are registered with the Lord Lyon Tartan Registry in Scotland.

I was wearing one of my heavy weight eight yard long Kilts today. Made to measure in Scotland with the whole garment hand stitched .
20 hours of work on a Kilt Makers table.

" Getty Mashable Photos of the Scottish Highland Games 1900 to 1960 ".....
should produce some fine old Press Photos of the Scottish Highland Games ....weeladdie
noeleena

Post by noeleena »

Hi All,

Thank you All for your Wellcome ,

I,ll get back to normal as we had a busy weekend with our Scottish soc , plus couple of other groups I,m a member of and then I,ll write some more till then I need a little time to calm down work on what I,ll write, and have some time to think clearly . Thank you.

...noeleena...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Went to the historical reenactment. That I shared about in the originating post. Feast of the Hunter's Moon. The weather had been very rainy, so it was a mud pit. Which affected attendance a fair amount. I did see a few (three) other Kilties, plus me and my friends, raising the count to 6. Down from the 8 or 9 I saw last year. MORE on the friends I mentioned above.

BOTH are first time Kilties. BOTH had seen me in a kilt before. About two weeks before the festival. I asked them independently, and not saying what the other had said, did not want to cause a peer pressure decision. Do you want to wear a kilt, if you do I can loan you one. With a very short delay on messenger, both individual said yes. I asked them last year and they said no. So things can change in a year's time. The one friend choose to wear trousers under the kilt. So he didn't quite get the kilt experience.
The other friend, seemed to enjoy the experience, and kept the kilt on the whole day, even for the drive home.

So three men in kilts, you can imagine gets attention. Nothing but compliments, or questions about the tartans. One teen aged boy asked if we bought them at the festival. I informed him "no, sadly they don't"
But directed him to check eBay, and to check into the kilt groups on Facebook.

So all in all a spectacular day in Killts.

offering to loan a friend a kilt may pay off. Did in this case.

Found this meme. Feel free to use it on your social media page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.