Opinions on scottishkiltshop.com

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
andrewsh

Opinions on scottishkiltshop.com

Post by andrewsh »

Hi everyone,

About a month ago I found scottishkiltshop.com and a bunch of shops ran by the same people in different languages (e.g. kilts.fr etc). Most of the kilts (made in Pakistan, by the way) they offer look more or less the same (but prices differ for some reason), so after browsing for a while I decided to buy one (from kilts.fr because strangely it had cheaper shipping cost compared to the main website). I’ve never had a kilt before, let alone a utility kilt, so I didn’t know exactly what to expect, and I couldn’t judge from the photos how exactly the colours look like. The returns policy said they do returns and exchanges on all but custom made items — so I picked grey, told them the size and prepared to wait for up to 8 weeks as they said.

I was quite surprised two weeks ago when they emailed me a screenshot of a courier website saying the package has been here for a week and they couldn’t deliver it for some reason (they didn’t send me the tracking code initially when they shipped it, nor did they notify me when it was held initially). Luckily, when I called the delivery firm they managed to find the package despite the incorrect tracking number and despite the package already being returned to sender — and I’ve got it next day.

Opening the package, I found the colour is blue-ish grey, and the size is a bit too tight, so it’s unlikely I will be wearing it often. I open a support ticket, saying I’d like to return it, and receive a reply saying it’s custom made item (?!) and it cannot be returned, but in case they made a mistake with size they can send a replacement. I cannot understand why this is a custom made item when it’s one of the standard styles they offer and I did not ask for any customisation, and why they cannot sell it to someone who orders this size… but when I asked them a question, they didn't reply. Pinged them again — still no reply. It’s been more than a week now, and I’m unsure what should I do, with a utility kilt of a wrong size and colour.

Have any of you had any experience with them?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Opinions on scottishkiltshop.com

Post by Freedomforall »

I have ordered 12 kilts from them. I have only had one problem and they made a new one for me. They are a little hard at time to communicate with but I have always found the quality to be good. They have a guarantee that if you don't like it and send a video of you burning it they will make you a new one.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

About a year ago I ordered three different kilts from them and eventually they were delivered, but with a hefty Customs & Excise surcharge payable on delivery.

They were all VERY tight, which makes me want to reach for a Pakistani inch ruler, also there was absolutely no provision for adjustment, as is the norm with real kilts from Scotland. Materials quality was good, I must admit.

I ordered 34" waist, which is normally my size, but what arrived, all three of them, were more like 32" waist. Hold your breath!!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

I have bought around 6 kilts off them and never had a problem. The sizes I have have been fairly consistent, you just have to know what size you are at the point you want to wear them. Having a middle age spread of a gut I tend to wear them lower than traditionally worn, which affects the size (and length) I order. Effectively all their kilts are "custom made" as they are all made to order. They have an ebay shop but I find their kilts more expensive on ebay than via their online shop. I don't have any issues with the quality of their utility kilts, have not ordered a traditional tartan one.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Kirbstone wrote:About a year ago I ordered three different kilts from them and eventually they were delivered, but with a hefty Customs & Excise surcharge payable on delivery.
Luckily, that was not the case with my order since they apparently first got it to the UK and shipped from there.
Kirbstone wrote:They were all VERY tight, which makes me want to reach for a Pakistani inch ruler, also there was absolutely no provision for adjustment, as is the norm with real kilts from Scotland. Materials quality was good, I must admit.

I ordered 34" waist, which is normally my size, but what arrived, all three of them, were more like 32" waist. Hold your breath!!
Exactly! The material itself looks fine (bar the colour — I didn’t expect it to be blueish grey but more creamy grey), but there’s only one set of buttons which makes it impossible to adjust the kilt outside of a very tiny range. I ordered the same size as you and I have to — indeed — hold my breath to get it on (even though it’s slightly better once it is on).
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

victor1964 wrote:Effectively all their kilts are "custom made" as they are all made to order.
Well, in my understanding, a custom made item is when you say: oh, please could you put buttons here, and a pocket there, and this bit over there…, and not when I’m picking one of the designs they offer.
Also, if all of the kilts they make are custom made, then how can they claim this:
We're happy to exchange most items if they are the wrong size or color…
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

No experience with them. I only buy real kilts, made in Scotland - although I’ve got my eye on a Utilikilt which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I’m guessing that their designs are non-traditional. Is that right?
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Ray wrote:No experience with them. I only buy real kilts, made in Scotland - although I’ve got my eye on a Utilikilt which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

They make both traditional kilts and modern (non-tartan) kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I think not. A feature of traditional kilts made in Scotland is the waist fastening by a single strap through a hole at left emerging to engage with a buckle there, to determine the tightness, then the apron wraps well round to the right side where two parallel straps engage two buckles to secure the kilt.

To my knowledge none of the scottishkiltshop offerings feature this type of fastening. They seem to have a fixation on big press fasteners.

Tom
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Ray wrote:I’ve got my eye on a Utilikilt which is a different kettle of fish altogether.
I believe that Union Kilts has its own version of a utility kilt. You may want to look at their web site.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There is a difference between a Utility Kilt and a traditional Scottish Kilt.
Andrew Bolton , the curator of the Victoria and Albert Museum Published a book called ,as far as I can remember.....Men In Skirts....
There is a section on the " De Rigeur of Mens Skirts " ...the traditional Scottish Kilt...
and an interview with the creator of the American Utility Kilt in Seattle . In his interview with the Creator of the American Utility Kilt
the author of the book is clearly informed that the American Utility Kilt is a man's skirt.

Whilst I am having an old mans rant please do not tell me about the Scottish Kilt unless you have been to your Kilt Maker in Scotland and
have been measured for your Traditional Eight yard Scottish Kilt.

Your Kilt Maker will ask you the specifications to which you wish your Kilt to be made . If you do not have the experience to give the
correct answers I would advise you to take your business somewhere else.

Your Traditional Scottish Kilt will be hand stitched and production time will be approximately 20 Hours.

The cost will be a weeks wages...I wore one of my old Kilts for 35 years

When you have a day to spare ...Google ...Robert MacDonald , Kilt Maker and Tailor ...Read , Learn and Inwardly Digest ....... weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

About the US. ScottishKilt shop I am eating my words.

Today I have just had delivery of a '34" X 23" Black Stewart kilt from them which has hidden slash pockets either side of the front apron, but which has the leather strap and buckle fastening at both sides, allowing for a generous adjustment for the wearer, almost like the traditional Scottish, but miles away from other kilts I have had from them in the past.

An issue however, might be the chosen material. It has the very soft feel of something knitted and is less rigid than traditional tartan weaves. To keep the front apron straight I will have to always use a kilt pin low down at the right. Also, it doesn't have belt loops. Perhaps an omission by me when ordering.

The big turn-off of course on a 40 dollar kilt is the carriage costs and then a whopping Eur 44 excise duty payable today on delivery, making the kilt very expensive indeed, for what it is.

Tom
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Ray wrote:No experience with them. I only buy real kilts, made in Scotland - although I’ve got my eye on a Utilikilt which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I think these are £15 and upwards kind of "kilt" you find on eBay - or the ubiquitous "Utility" design - there's a guy in West London doing a roaring trade on these things - somewhere in London W3. It's just the usual "tat"... I always look for real kilts, having had fingers burnt with "Poly Mix" which is not quite Polyviscose (the flammable stuff) but still priced high, with the seller claiming it's a "Wool Blend"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDMADE-6YA ... xyRHdRz-4z

For a lot less, genuine kilts which are 100% wool, can be found... I found a rare Maple Leaf tartan a few months ago. Fallen back in love with the kilt, and they outnumber the skirts now :oops: :wink:
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Kirbstone wrote:The big turn-off of course on a 40 dollar kilt is the carriage costs and then a whopping Eur 44 excise duty payable today on delivery, making the kilt very expensive indeed, for what it is.
The solution seems to be ordering from their European websites, of which they have many e.g. kilts.fr. You don't pay the duty (since they ship from the UK) and the delivery is cheaper. At least, that what it was in my case.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Interesting, Andrew. I didn't know about kilts.fr and must look them up. I certainly won't be buying kilts Stateside ever again, that's for sure.

Tom