Opinions on scottishkiltshop.com

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Opinions on scottishkiltshop.com

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote:Interesting, Andrew. I didn't know about kilts.fr and must look them up. I certainly won't be buying kilts Stateside ever again, that's for sure.

Tom
I certainly won't be buying kilts Stateside ever again,

Probably just as well with the Moronic Tariff Czar at the USA helm things are going to get worse.
Foreign imported goods are going to go thru the atmosphere of rate hikes - tit for tat and vice versa.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:Foreign imported goods are going to go thru the atmosphere of rate hikes - tit for tat and vice versa.
Trade wars suck -- and especially so between countries that are more or less at economic parity -- and this is one that the USA cannot win for the USA cannot manufacture the basics it needs to run on (e.g. clothing, appliances, cars, &c) of which the vast bulk are now imported. Sure, the US produces "boutique items" (e.g. airliners and a dwindling amount of networking gear), but as far as industrial-level manufacturing for a mass market that could sustain the place in the face of an outright trade war (or boycott), that's all been sold overseas and the domestic infrastructure dismantled. The original machines have long since been sold off or scrapped, and it's likely the skills to rebuild and run such things are lost.

I am a big fan of free trade -- between countries at parity; it's where third-world developing countries use their economic status to undercut the more developed countries that it gets very problematic.

I feel for the folks who drive imported cars; this fiasco is going to hurt, and hurt "big league". If a country doesn't make stuff of its own it's got no business imposing tax on incoming stuff that's a necessity. Of course it doesn't hurt the fat-cat in the slightest, but really hits the lower 95% of the population.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree with Tom... there is a problem with sizing on mass produced Kilts and skirts....Gold Kilts were made in Pakistan and marketed by Lidl
For an 8 yard kilt....Sizing was 2" out and standard length was 24 "...4 " too long for me.....light weight...machine stitched....synthetic material.

On a Burns Night promotion I Purchased some Gold Kilts to my tape measure sizing .... Half Price at £25

As the hem is turned up and stitched ..fairly easy to get 8 yards of hem shortened locally......But the cost time for the alteration would
double the price of a wearable garment.

As I have previously said .. bench mark for a traditional 8 yard 16 oz Kilt made in Scotland ....a weeks wages and a weeks delivery

Part of the service was that one of the staff found a Kilt in my size in their hire section and the Kilt Maker checked my fit against the sizing
on the hire Kilt......My waist was size was then adjusted.... Wore the Hire Kilt round Scotland for a couple of days and wore it at home
until my new Kilt arrived.....Another Kilt Maker in Scotland complimented me on the fine fit of my ( hire ) Kilt. .............. weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The irony of my Kilt purchase experience is that I paid as much in expenses getting to my kilt Makers Shop in the Highland Region as I paid for
the new Kilt
Life has changed a bit now. Skirts are more practical to wear nowadays......New School Wear Skirts are Displayed with incorrect lable sizing...

New Charity Shop stock is redundant retail stock with incorrect labling.......A skirt purchaser needs a good eye and a tape measure....weeladdie
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The other day I bought a brown cotton utility kilt at : https://www.msn.com/nl-nl/nieuws/opmerk ... spartandhp
When it had arrived I tried it on, it was to small. I forwarded a picture with measuring tape and received within a few days another one which did fit. It was forwarded by DHL.
I was looking at another kilt and saw the same with another Pakistani supplier. The price was lower, but even though they were just about neighbours, the rate for forwarding via DHL charged by them was double.... When asked for a reason for the difference is costs, silence.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

weeladdie18 wrote:There is a difference between a Utility Kilt and a traditional Scottish Kilt.
Andrew Bolton , the curator of the Victoria and Albert Museum Published a book called ,as far as I can remember.....Men In Skirts....
There is a section on the " De Rigeur of Mens Skirts " ...the traditional Scottish Kilt...
and an interview with the creator of the American Utility Kilt in Seattle . In his interview with the Creator of the American Utility Kilt
the author of the book is clearly informed that the American Utility Kilt is a man's skirt.

Whilst I am having an old mans rant please do not tell me about the Scottish Kilt unless you have been to your Kilt Maker in Scotland and
have been measured for your Traditional Eight yard Scottish Kilt.

Your Kilt Maker will ask you the specifications to which you wish your Kilt to be made . If you do not have the experience to give the
correct answers I would advise you to take your business somewhere else.

Your Traditional Scottish Kilt will be hand stitched and production time will be approximately 20 Hours.

The cost will be a weeks wages...I wore one of my old Kilts for 35 years

When you have a day to spare ...Google ...Robert MacDonald , Kilt Maker and Tailor ...Read , Learn and Inwardly Digest ....... weeladdie
WL - two of my three kids were hand made for me. The third - a 22 inch grey 21st Century Kilt - was bought off the peg - at the 1999 Clothes Show in the UK. I promptly put it on and wore it around the show!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Ray wrote: - two of my three kids were hand made for me....
There have been some wonderful advances in medical science recently, but I have never heard of that one.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:
Ray wrote: - two of my three kids were hand made for me....
There have been some wonderful advances in medical science recently, but I have never heard of that one.
How did I miss that one? Sometimes typos are just so good they need a comment. Sinned committed a real howler in another thread but I decided to let it drop (which is just as well as it would have set off a fire-storm of bad puns).
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

How did I miss that one too?

I’m not going to correct it!

The response is very funny. Thanks :-)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, sometimes I do it on purpose! I am generally careful about my grammar and punctuation .... but then again I'm only human.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Carl, sometimes I do it on purpose!
Well you certainly committed that one with feeling! The vowel in question being the farthest possible vowel on the keyboard from the "correct" one. Well played; I'd actually gotten into the next sentence before sensing something "off". You know, that faint yet unmistakable odour that indicates that somebody's let one rip in the not-too-distant past.
I am generally careful about my grammar and punctuation .... but then again I'm only human.
That's all that any of us are.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Way back in the Seventies MOH & I had four kids, but they weren't hand-made !!

This past week I had a Black Stewart kilt from these people delivered. Fact is, although to my surprise it has a belt & buckle fastening at the waist either side, the thing is a cheap woolly rag. I'll wear it just for a photo, but not otherwise.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I always say that as an Englishman all my life, a down to earth Northener from a working class background, educated in what I now realise was a first-class Primary school [0] and Grammar School, if I can't mangle the English language nobody can. I use similar words with different meanings such as destructions instead of instructions, iterate instead of irritate and so on. I also look for ways of being very subtle with language usage as well as being blatant. Sometimes you have to read what I have read a second time as there may be more than one nuance. Mindstew I enjoy the writings of you all as well and learn lots from the ways you express yourselves as well as what you say. But always, please be mindful that I am not malicious and don't intend to hurt but to use my scribbles to inform and entertain.

[0] For a Primary school, preschool nursery to age 11, it was excellent and quite progressive. Nursery tots were taught to read and write right from the start with the result that when I started at Primary school age I could already read and write and as an avid reader was advanced quickly that first term to the next year up. So, being a June baby not only was I one of the youngest in the class I was also a full year younger as well. I wasn't the only one, IIRC there were 6 of us like that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
D McD

Post by D McD »

I wonder if there are any new updates on this vendor.

I'm hoping to buy an inexpensive "trial" kilt. I've no idea if I'll like it or not, and I'd rather spend $50 or so on a test kilt, than $500+ on a "real" one.

Are there other low price vendors as well? The Scottish Kilt Shop keeps cropping up on my web searches, if there are others, that would be good to know too.

Many tks

David.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try www.stillwaterkilts.com
They are based in the U.S. and fantastic customer service :D
Prices are quite reasonable too. The Poly-viscose material is
great as I throw mine in the washing machine, cold, then
hang to dry.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)