How to deal with disappointment!!!

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Clothesfreedom

How to deal with disappointment!!!

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Having had a cool camouflage kilt for a good few months now and never having the courage to wear it locally, I knew a visit to see girlie friends in another city in the middle of a hot, British summer would present an opportunity to get kilted. I dress, or rather undress and redress, at home, I sleep in thin bodycon dresses, and generally express myself in ways that push the boundaries and explore things that many males are scared to. I'm not boasting, just setting the scene for my kilted adventure. This is me!

Fast forward to the week before I'd take a train to the capital before changing at Kings Cross (reportedly one of our busiest stations) for another connection. My friend said her male friend would be joining us for a food festival on the Saturday that we would be attending, so I was gutted inside. I am not at the stage to say, fk it and wear it anyway, so my kilted adventure was off, or was it? The weather all week was scorching hot in the UK, we don't say that often, I was in good spirits and looking forward to a weekend away with friends who I hadn't seen in a while.

Packing on the Thursday I put things together. Socks-check, underwear-check, bodycon dress-check, T-shirts-check, cool camouflage kilt-Check, check,CHECK! :D I just had to bring it. I'd be jumping on a train after work on the Friday, changing trains, then my girlie buddy picking me up at the station. I wanted to surprise her, more so surprise myself. I knew if I brought the kilt, an opportunity might present itself. By the time I finished work, all hot and sweaty in trousers and a shirt, I had ideas in mind. I boarded my first train, located a seat opposite the toilet and immediately changed.

The vast difference in freedom and heat reduction that the kilt brought, plus the giddy feeling I had as I exited the toilet like Superman in different clothes, bought a smile to my face. I changed in public, I was having fun, I felt comfortable and I was wearing a kilt locally. First stage accomplished, now to navigate Kings Cross station and trains at rush hour!!! My head was held high, this was fun! I really enjoyed the feeling, the freedom, the coolness of how I looked, plus the feeling of FU to society and how they might say we should dress. The reality is not many looked and I was having too much fun to worry about that anyway. As I exited St Pancras for KC, the sun hit me and a nice gust of air confirmed my choice of attire was exactly right and I was loving every minute of wearing it. I picked up a coffee, not rushing to pay or sheepishly exit the cafe, and just smiled, took my time, and breathed - I was totally relaxed.

The 2nd train was jam packed and roasting hot, further evidence that my choice of clothes were spot on for the day. I donned an Aussie style hiker hat and pulled my socks up to meet my friend and her smile showed she loved me in a kilt. We stopped off at the supermarket, more public kilting and more fun. The kilt stayed on all night, especially as I'd be answering the door to another friend who said I 'rocked it', and a damn good time was had by all.

I didn't wear it on the Saturday, a future hurdle to cross I guess, but I didn't need to. I had my Friday being kilted in public and among friends. The moral of my long story is to get over any disappointment, re-write your rule book, move the goal posts, and do it anyway!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How to deal with disappointment!!!

Post by Sinned »

Well, CF, you've just had your first experience of outdoor skirting and it's really amazing isn't it? You will notice that the feeling is addictive. You'll also have noticed that everyone else just doesn't give a toss what you're wearing. Your friends didn't so what's to stop you now? In this situation the only thing to fear is the fear in your own mind. There's only one thing that will stop you next time and that's yourself. Well done and we look forward to hearing your next adventure.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Thanks Sinned. I have worn stuff out before, mostly on holiday and a Gay Pride festival here where technically I didn't stand out! This way something else though and I loved every minute of it. More to come!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's good news all the way 'round! Well done.

Sometimes the key is to take perceived adversity as a challenge and go right at it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

crfriend wrote: Sometimes the key is to take perceived adversity as a challenge and go right at it.
I couldn't agree more.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Clothesfreedom wrote:Having had a cool camouflage kilt for a good few months now and never having the courage to wear it locally...
FWIW, I've gotten more compliments about my camouflage utility kilts than about any other.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

FWIW, I've gotten more compliments about my camouflage utility kilts than about any other.
That doesn't surprise me. I love rummaging around army surplus stores and my camo kilt is my favourite 'bit of kit'. The colour is slightly lime, so not as dark as traditional camo, which makes it pretty darn cool!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well done ,CF , the only comment I would make is " Why did you not wear your Kilt on Saturday, as If it was your normal style of attire ? "
When I go away on my travels by train , I like to leave my trousers at home... ............weeladdie
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

weeladdie18 wrote:Well done ,CF , the only comment I would make is " Why did you not wear your Kilt on Saturday, as If it was your normal style of attire ? "
When I go away on my travels by train , I like to leave my trousers at home... ............weeladdie
Good point, but I was meeting a friend's friend and I wanted to just enjoy my day without the stress or fear of being judged. That is silly you may say, but this is all a process and one experience leads to another. I had my Friday and next time I'll do more. I'm on holiday next month so I am currently deciding what to wear. heeheh
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Clothesfreedom wrote:...I'm on holiday next month so I am currently deciding what to wear. ...
My advice is to leave the house with nothing but skirts and kiits and then wear them everywhere.

It's remarkably interesting.

All those people and places you think might object don't.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron