I wore my kilt skirt at sunset

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

I wore my kilt skirt at sunset

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went out for a Cornish cliff walk at the most southerly point in the English Mainland this evening to watch the sun go down.
Another deep red ball sinking below the Horizon. The sea was calm and there was a light to moderate wind off the land.

For a change I wore my below the knee Kilt Skirt. This is a pleated skirt designed as a ladies version of the male Scottish Kilt.
Less yardage of material and less pleats to keep the garment stiff and heavy. A comfortable light weight Tartan garment to wear on a
warm summers evening with a bit of breeze..........As this was designed as a female garment the outer apron is wrapped right over left
and buckled on the left hip. ....Warm enough for bare legs and no socks. A free and comfortable style of dress........

Another find in a charity shop...hardly worn and less than 10 pounds......look for wear on the fastenings on this type of design.
Make sure the apron fastening is right on the outside of the hip so that the apron is not so short in the waist measurement that the garment
falls to bits in the wind.

I would recommend this style of garment for anyone on a budget wishing to explore the world of the Scottish Kilt .
No one else out walking on the edge of the wetland moor on the clifftop.......weeladdie
Wesley

Re: I wore my kilt skirt at sunset

Post by Wesley »

I have several kilted skirts. I prefer them to a standard kilt, mainly due to the length. I do a lot of off-trail hiking, and don't like having my knees exposed to brambles and brush. I have found a couple that wrap left-over-right, a couple others I converted. The common layman recognizes it as a kilt so that is also what I tend to wear in public.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is worth noting that the traditional length the Scottish Military Kilt is ......hem at top of the Knee Cap ,,,,,.....total length of material
in the hem.....8 yards .... weight of material is 16 oz per yard ....this gives total mass of garment as 8oz per yard.....gives
total weight of approximately 4 pounds. This garment has an entirely different feel to below knee lighter weight skirt.

The Kilt is worn to the top of the Knee Cap to prevent the sometimes wet pleats rubbing on the wearers calves. Nice garment to wear
I would agree I prefer my skirts below the
Knee to keep my old knees warm when out in our English weather ' ......weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Did not have a sunset this evening... I was out in the thick fog in my warm tweed pencil skirt......Looks like Calm warm sunny day tomorrow
.............weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I have a lot of kilts, mostly traditional. The real problem with them is the sheer weight of the things. 8 yards of heavy material need serious support at the waist if they are going to stay 'up' during any prolonged walk. (No, I'm not into marching bands or caber-tossing), but there's a lot to be said for the 5-yarder made out of light polyviscose, which is infinitely easier to get on with and gives the right impression to non-discerning Joe Public.

I have a sailing trip on the Baltic coming up in September and must fly to get there, which means that bulky or weighty items must be at a minimum. I have arranged to meet up with a fellow kilt-wearer there and mine will be the lightweight variety without the sporran.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Kirbstone wrote:I have a lot of kilts, mostly traditional. The real problem with them is the sheer weight of the things. 8 yards of heavy material need serious support at the waist if they are going to stay 'up' during any prolonged walk. (No, I'm not into marching bands or caber-tossing), but there's a lot to be said for the 5-yarder made out of light polyviscose, which is infinitely easier to get on with and gives the right impression to non-discerning Joe Public.

I have a sailing trip on the Baltic coming up in September and must fly to get there, which means that bulky or weighty items must be at a minimum. I have arranged to meet up with a fellow kilt-wearer there and mine ill be the lightweight variety without the sporran.

Tom

Tom UT kilts offer a light weight ripstop fabric and one in what they call an athletic fabric. Both are lighter than any skirt or kilt I own. Here is the link. Just look at the ripstop and the athletic kilt. https://www.utkilts.com/utility-kilt/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks for the link, FFA. I've looked at them before and hate the external hanging pockets. I would also require any purchase to be in my chosen tartan, not theirs. Furthermore the combination of postage from the US and a further hefty Customs tariff clapped on them here makes buying from the US an expensive exercise now.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree with Kirbstone's comments . Yesterday afternoon I went out in my traditional Ex Military heavy weight 8 yard Kilt.
Worn to the top of the Kneecap and weighs in at 4 pounds.....I had to breath in deeply to fasten the buckles...... A summer Diet
and I will be O K.
The Kilt was comfortable with ankle socks and a shirt in the summer heat at 25 C.
I would not advise the novice to buy a heavy Military Kilt solely for summer wear as the garment may be too warm with an
Argyle tweed jacket and Knee High Kilt hose .....Delightfully comfortable in the correct temperature.
My major problem is cold knees in my old age in the Cornish Winter.

When worn correctly The Outfit is delightfully comfortable to wear......The Ex Military Kilt is half the price of a made to measure
heavy weight Kilt from Scotland.

The correctly fitting Kilt should fit the indentation of the true waist between the rib cage and the hip bone.
The correctly fitting Kilt should hang so that the weight is supported on the curve of the wearer 's hips.

When one has learnt how to wear the Kilt correctly ,one will avoid the comments from the great unwashed.....weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:When one has learnt how to wear the Kilt correctly ,one will avoid the comments from the great unwashed...
That's the problem I have with The Kilt -- too many rules. With a Kilt, I'm swapping one set of hidebound rules for another, and I didn't see the need to do that. Hence skirts. No rules, save that it look presentable and not overly annoy the onlookers.

That said, an all-up Kilt rig looks fabulous.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl , there is much truth in what you say.....by dressing as a " man in skirts " the male can wear his own style of attire without
transgressing any traditional rules. .......Our Cornish temperature in Southern U. K. is up to 30 C with very light winds which go round with the sun every day. ......Typical of a slow moving high pressure system....not quite the weather required for yesterdays Helford River Sailing Regatta .

My current normal style is a below the knee full summer skirt to keep my legs cool and protected from the blazing sun.................. weeladdie