Running Kilt Review

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Running Kilt Review

Post by Grok »

The product linked to in the Links section.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Running Kilt Review

Post by Freedomforall »

I am not seeing a link.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I ordered by e-mail. The product was promptly delivered in my mailbox. (The garment is fairly small).

The name of the product seems to be a marketing ploy. When I removed the skirt from the package, it was immediately obvious that it is not derived from the traditional Scottish kilt. I would describe to as a short A-line skirt, with slits on the side, and an elastic waist band. The hemline is one inch above the top of my knee. The pocket is just adequate for the key to my apartment, and holds it very securely. Actually, I have difficulty getting the key in and out of the pocket.

During summer weather, it is much more comfortable than shorts. The crotch is very well ventilated, more so than even a kilt (the running kilt is shorter and has those slits). So much cooler than shorts. And, of course, it avoids potential rubbing/chafing with material between the legs.

This is the shortest garment that I have worn In public. If sitting in public you must take care to avoid indecent exposure.

Over all, I can recommend this product.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

FYI I often place one key under the insole of my shoe. It is held in place securely and there is no risk of it boucning out of a pocket.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sparkle Skirt's Purple Plaid Long Length Men's Running Kilt.

https://sparkleskirts.com/products/stew ... -kilt-lads
Last edited by Grok on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

J Walking Designs Men's Red Running Kilt-plaid.

https://jwalkingdesigns.com
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have two running kilts (RunningKilts.com). Somehow naming them "kilts" connotes masculine, therefor more acceptable to male buyers. If someone ever questions what you are wearing, you can always point to the label which is visible on the left leg above the seam. I wear mine a lot and they are very comfortable. No one has noticed and they allow complete freedom, stride, and comfort. They are somewhat awkward when sitting, such as in a restaurant, and you need to be careful not to flash anyone getting in and out of a vehicle. They are really great for driving as they allow the greatest advantage of air conditioning and keeping dry. I am a hiker but not a runner. They are perfect for hiking and I am sure they would be for running. The fabric is very light weight and the length is right above my knees which is where I like my shorts to be. I have worn them in a lot of public places such as stores, gas stations, in line for lottery tickets, movies, trails, ranger stations, etc.

Delivery is fast, fit is good, comfort very good, practical to wear, not too expensive.

Happy-N-Skirts
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I have a hiking skirt, from North Face (I think: CBA checking right now) and I have used it for running as well. It's about 19" long, which is a lot longer than Running Kilts, but I find it just right and really comfortable to wear. Not that I've been running at all for a few months, I've been cycling instead, in (oh no!) shorts or leggings.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I have two running kilts (RunningKilts.com). They are somewhat awkward when sitting, such as in a restaurant, and you need to be careful not to flash anyone getting in and out of a vehicle. They are really great for driving as they allow the greatest advantage of air conditioning and keeping dry. I am a hiker but not a runner. They are perfect for hiking and I am sure they would be for running.

Happy-N-Skirts
I don't try to sit in public when wearing mine. (Which is the shortest length that I am willing to wear in public at all). For my aerobics, I walk out of my apartment wearing the Running Kilt, do a brisk walk around the neighborhood, and then immediately go back inside.

What makes the garment worth wearing is the superior ventilation. During a hot summer day it is more comfortable during exercise than anything else I have tried.

Otherwise, I prefer longer lengths.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

skirtyscot wrote: I've been cycling instead, in (oh no!) shorts or leggings.
I don't know if cycling in a skirt could be practical for a male. I'm not going to try it myself-cycling is one of the things I gave up on when I got arthritis in my knees.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

I get certain benefits of wearing a kilt over trousers, but a kilt instead of shorts when running? Am I missing something here? Your legs would be covered from the knees up as opposed to shorts that cover just the buttocks. Surely a kilt bouncing around is way more annoying when running.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

To: Clothes Freedom. Go to Runningkilts.com to see what a running kilt looks like. Imagine a loin cloth made of very light weight nylon with an elastic waist. The sides are open and hemmed about half way up to allow plenty of freedom of motion and stride. From the waist down the sides are sewn about half way. Order one and try it. I often wear mine hiking and have worn it in public with no problem. Very similar to what Army Rangers wear when training. They are called "Ranger Panties."

You obviously need to wear something under it when in public such as an athletic supporter or bikini underwear. (Am I in violation of the anti underwear code?)

Happy-N-Skirts
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Clothesfreedom, I believe that the use of the word "kilt" in Running Kilt is a marketing ploy. For men "kilt" is probably more acceptable than "Skirt". But if you hear the word "kilt", you probably assume that the garment is derived from the traditional Scottish kilt-basically, a knee length wrap around design with apron in front and pleats in back. So if you assume that this RunningKilt is so derived, you probably assume that the garment will be knee length and flap around your legs.

When I took the garment out of its packaging, I immediately realized that it was not derived from the Scottish kilt. It is basically a short A-line design, with slits up the sides.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Grok wrote:When I took the garment out of its packaging, I immediately realized that it was not derived from the Scottish kilt. It is basically a short A-line design, with slits up the sides.
Thanks for clearing that up. I looked at the kilt on your link shows it to be exactly as your describe, a short A-line design with slits up the side'. Careful of the wind as Happy-N-Skirts details.