Running Kilt Review

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Running Kilt Review

Post by FranTastic444 »

I like the look of the Jaywalking and the Sparkleskirt stuff. The latter probably wouldn't work for me as the guys stuff they have uses sewn-in compression shorts (I'd sooner use my own). The Jaywalking stuff specifically states that their gents range has no skort-like inner to contend with. So, though I like the look of the McRaven, it probably wouldn't suit my needs.

I like the idea of cycling in a skirt, but I think it would have to be a mini that you do not sit on. This looks plain uncomfortable to me -

I've liked to this photo before. It looks like he has one of the women's items rather than something from the male range. I think I'd have to cut the lining out and use trad cycling shorts underneath.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This is surely one of the last mild days of the year for Seattle. The air is slightly cool, but the sun is shining. Went out in a running kilt for my aerobics.

I find that digging a house key out of the pocket to be a pain, so wear a second key on a lanyard.

For my aerobics I will likely soon switch over to my Macabi knee length. The RunningKilt is optimized for running during hot weather.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote:This is surely one of the last mild days of the year for Seattle. The air is slightly cool, but the sun is shining. Went out in a running kilt for my aerobics.

I find that digging a house key out of the pocket to be a pain, so wear a second key on a lanyard.

For my aerobics I will likely soon switch over to my Macabi knee length. The RunningKilt is optimized for running during hot weather.
XXXXX

Did-ja notice the horns on his bike helmet ?
Something here about wearing Viking purple colors ?

The wide bottom hem should be adequate to prevent any frontal exposure.
Rear view not shown.

The problem with biking in a skirt is the back of the skirt gets scrunched up in the seat - UNLESS
the back panel is lifted over the seat making the ride somewhat more pleasant this only with a mini
short hemmed skirt - in any event best to be wearing the padded crotch panty/panel for comfort and moisture wicking - dem being tender parts !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

r.m.anderson wrote:Did-ja notice the horns on his bike helmet ?
Maybe he has a "Devil May Care" attitude about the race :!:
:rofl:
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It is a fine spring day in Seattle. The air temperature is somewhat cool, but there is plenty of sunshine. :sunny:

Decided to do aerobics in a Running Kilt for the first time this year. :kiltdance:

Right off I noticed some contradictory sensations. The cool air tended to cool my skin below decks, but the fabric and sunshine tended to warm my skin. Interesting contrast.

One advantage over shorts is that after the workout you cool off faster. I've noticed that shorts can very effectively (over)insulate your crotch.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Late July/early August is the hottest time of the year in Seattle. Wearing Running Kilt for my brisk, aerobic walk around the neighborhood.

One item I added-a mask. Stuffed into shirt pocket. I noticed that I don't get enough oxygen during these aerobic walks if I wear the mask. But I have it on hand.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Grok wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:04 am www.runningkilts.com/
I've got one of these. Rarely wear it these days, but I think it helped my wife accept less kilt-like skirts on me.

I run in female marketed athletic skirts, for the most part. I get ones without shorts that don't fit too tight, and wear men's athletic briefs underneath. I'll change every scrap of clothing in a parking lot without modestly issues using it (and the car door), then go running in it. Often without a shirt.

Almost no one ever comments other than my wife when I get home, and that's positive. I did have one guy stop and chat, eventually asking if I was cold (it was kind of chilly out that time, but I was fine while moving). Also, a male neighbor that I know fairly well, has asked about it and seems like he wants to get one for himself, but isn't ready to take the plunge.
DonP

Post by DonP »

I recently bought a hiking kilt from Sportkilt. It is the perfect summertime kilt. It's soft and very airy but heavy enough to stay down. It feels a little like wearing a slip. It's not what I wear when working around the yard, but for hiking or walking with the dogs or just hanging around, it's perfect. I think I need more than one
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Dust wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 pm
Grok wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:04 am www.runningkilts.com/
I've got one of these. Rarely wear it these days, but I think it helped my wife accept less kilt-like skirts on me.
Yes, I think an early opportunity are skirts intended for athletic/outdoors activities and/or sports. Society seems to be a bit more tolerant regarding specialized sports wear as opposed to everyday clothes.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Summer solstice today in Seattle. Summer heat. One advantage of wearing the running kilt today was the breeze. The breeze was just good enough to cool my crotch. I was probably the most comfortable guy around who was doing aerobics.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

During the summer heat, I grabbed the running kilt to wear in my living room, minus a shirt.

Autumn weather has arrived, but I am still using the running kilt. I throw on the garment when I get out of the shower.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I have been using Purple Rain Adventure skirts to run in for a while, including a 50 miler last October. They work great plenty of mobility and the pockets hold my phone for listening to music. The Adventure kilts are made of a little lighter fabric but I like the skirts better for running, both are plenty cool.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Very good, e2k2houck :!:
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote:
> I have been using Purple Rain Adventure skirts to run in for a while,
> including a 50 miler last October. They work great plenty of mobility and
> the pockets hold my phone for listening to music. The Adventure kilts are
> made of a little lighter fabric but I like the skirts better for running,
> both are plenty cool.

I run in both the Purplerain kilt and the Jwalking designs running kilts. Jwalkinng designs has a male version sans inside shorts and a female version with the sewn in shorts. Like all three of these styles and find running to be so much easier I. A skirt than shorts. When I wear shorts, no matter how little material, they bunch up between my legs and are uncomfortable. And I won’t run in only spandex tight shorts/leggings.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I'd recommend Asics or Lululemon skirts - they have running/tennis skirts mainly

I have a couple of the 'Pace' skirts by Lululemon at the moment that are so well designed, they have a 3.5'' inner short/brief and are well shaped and have the functionality of inner pockets for keys etc, and media pockets with eyeholes etc for cables if you aren't running bluetooth. Great for running and having the tunes on!

Also lululemon have heaps of colours/patterns in their styles. They're shorter but not too short - I am 8-10 AUS/UK and they're about 11-12'' length.

They have many different styles from Tennis/Running/Hiking/Golf skirts.

Cheers
NZF