Burns Night Haggis and that etc.

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Burns Night Haggis and that etc.

Post by r.m.anderson »

January 25th in the year of Domini etc. etc.

It is BURNS Night for all of our Kilted - kilted skirted - skirted kilted esteemed members.

Cheers and all that rubbish that goes with it !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Burns Night Haggis and that etc.

Post by Charlie »

I walked into town today, wearing a black Union kilt, forgetting it was Burn's night. A woman said "Happy birthday", which I thought odd as I'd never seen her before. I realised afterwards that she'd actually said "Happy Burn's day". Wonder what she thought of my less than positive reaction.
Mrs C, who is half-Scottish (and proud of it) has bought a haggis; lunch tomorrow methinks.
Happy Burn's night!
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Charlie,
Due to Climate Change, so far not a single haggis has been shot South of Aberdeen this year, so I'm surprised that your Spouse could come cross one so easily. :| :eye:
To have transported a Brace of Haggis all the way to Somerset for the 26th must be some achievement indeed, so savour them.

As to kilts, I travel SW to the wilds of Kerry on the Morrow, taking a few of the aforementioned with me, so weather permitting, a photoshoot will follow.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've heard that Haggis have their legs on one side longer than the other so that they can walk along hill sides without rolling off. OK for circular hills, they eventually get back to where they started. I suppose left-handed haggis go the other way :?
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Charlie wrote:I've heard that Haggis have their legs on one side longer than the other so that they can walk along hill sides without rolling off. OK for circular hills, they eventually get back to where they started. I suppose left-handed haggis go the other way :?
Yes. This serves multiple evolutionary purposes including reducing competition for resources, reducing depletion of the resources where hunting and grazing are happening, and reinforcing the notion of "handedness" though selective breeding.

Although left-handed and right-handed haggis are the same species and can produce fertile offspring, the mating process is difficult and complex and has been known in laboratory experiments to produce offspring where the offspring's legs are longer diagonally-opposed meaning that they can only survive in the wild when walking along ridges crab-style.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well I never! You learn a little every day, That's for sure. :o

Btw. I had a belated 'Burns night' dram down in Kerry last Friday, Been off the Net since, but Slainte!

Tom
Rs Burns nght toast.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey, Tom, MOH bought me a kilt just like that tartan. I have only worn it a couple of times and it's very heavy compared to what I normally wear. Whiskey, Irish or Scottish is not something that I can drink.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You have my sympathy, Dennis.

It is said that if you are under 50 and drink whiskey regularly, you are an idiot, but if you are over 50 and don't drink whiskey regularly, you;re still an idiot!

I only touch it when I am in convivial male company late evenings by the fireside.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:It is said that if you are under 50 and drink whiskey regularly, you are an idiot, but if you are over 50 and don't drink whiskey regularly, you;re still an idiot!
If I ever convey that thought to my sailing buddy I'm sure I'd find myself keelhauled in no time flat, or at least tossed over the side by a deliberate jibe.

I'll stick to Guinness.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well by that measure I was an idiot for over 30 years!

H decided to do the Dry January thing. In a rather half-hearted show of support I announced that I would avoid the drinks which she drinks. So gin is out and whisky has been my only spirit this month. :D
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, my body generally cannot tolerate most spirits as I either get terrible heartburn or I don't like the taste. I keep trying every so often if I am offered a taster and in the hopes that I will find one that I like but unfortunately without success so far. I do like Port though and have a bottle or two of excellent vintage that I cannot resist occasionally. But even then sometimes I have to dilute it with a bit of lemon water to stop the heartburn. As a diabetic I am not a big drinker anyway.

I did show MOH your picture in the kilt with the comment that it was like the one that she bought. No real comment at all, just a movement of the head, so very neutral. She has taken notice that I frequent this site often ( up until late last year I tried to visit the site when she wasn't around but got fed up with that and now do it not only openly, but blatantly in the hopes that she may take some interest and read some of the posts ) and makes comment about me talking about skirts. I think that it's meant to be derogatory but I'm not sure. She has looked over my shoulder a couple of times at pictures on the site if one happened to be on the screen. No real comment about them, yet. One will come. I wait with bated breath as to which way it will go.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.