Shopping for Skirts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Shopping for Skirts

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Yesterday I went shopping to see if any stores have something new. I found a short faux suede skirt and wanted to see how it fit and looked. I asked the sales lady if I could try it on and she said sure and told me her name was Rebecca and she would be near if I needed anything. I tried on the skirt and really wanted to walk around while wearing it to see how if felt. I walked out of the fitting room and the door slammed closed behind me. The young lady was nowhere near, so it meant that I would need to walk out on the sales floor to find her or someone else who could open the door. I walked around several displays and then out to the cash register where customers were lined up with their purchases while I was wearing a short skirt. I stood patiently in line until my turn and and asked where Rebecca was. She told me she was in the back room. I told the clerk that I locked myself out of the fitting room. She acted like it frequently happened and walked back to the fitting room without even looking at me and unlocked the door. No one looked or acted surprised that a man wearing a skirt was walking around the store. The skirt fit perfectly and felt great. The faux suede was light weight and soft. It did have a bit more flare than I would have liked and I examined the seams to see whether it could be taken in a bit. I had never been to a store where the dressing rooms had locks on the doors, or that they were self closing/self locking. It didn't occur to me until later that Rebecca may have been in the back room looking for something else I might like to try on. I like to try on different items out of curiosity. I had tried on another skirt but it was too tight and not enough stride, although it had stretchy fabric. My major purpose for wearing skirts is for hiking. The one I bought was perfect for that purpose but looked more feminine than I would have liked. It is an A line. It sure feels nice though.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shopping for Skirts

Post by Sinned »

I go looking at skirts frequently and have been shopping for a skirt whilst wearing a skirt without any problems. I see very few skirts that I would buy because they don't fit in with the style I have for myself but that doesn't stop me looking. I love A-line skirts for the freedom and the feel of the hem on the legs as I walk around and most of mine come into that category.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Same here, i go shopping online and when i'm in a city. I love to walk in an A style skirt all day. I own 3 Skirtcraft skirts and some other skirts i bought online.
And i do own 4 kilts. One in red, one in green en 2 in black denim.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:Yesterday I went shopping to see if any stores have something new. I found a short faux suede skirt and wanted to see how it fit and looked. I asked the sales lady if I could try it on and she said sure and told me her name was Rebecca and she would be near if I needed anything. I tried on the skirt and really wanted to walk around while wearing it to see how if felt. I walked out of the fitting room and the door slammed closed behind me. The young lady was nowhere near, so it meant that I would need to walk out on the sales floor to find her or someone else who could open the door.
That made me smile. I have never come across that sort of thing in shop change rooms - I wonder how one gets into a vacant one in the first place.
I went to a conference recently and stayed in student accommodation which needed a card to open the self closing and locking door of my room. Going to the shared ammenities at night meant remembering the card ...... a recipe for embarassing situations; wandering around in nightwear of choice with phone locked in room and can't ring security........
Wearing a skirt when shopping for skirts saves a lot of misunderstanding, but can have it's downside when one sees a 9" flared micro skirt for $1 at a thrift shop.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Lesson to be learned: Always test the doors to the fitting room least you become locked INTO one ! LOL !
You disrobe to try something on and leave in the fitting room your wallet cell phone and clothes you came in with and that happens.
Then on the other skirt hand make sure someone else doesn't use the fitting room until you are finished - protect your valuables.
A locking door is a better deal than a sliding curtain.
Some stores use the self locking door to prevent unauthorized use of the fitting room - theft and inventory control.
But for the most part the door with a simple interior latch is the norm - never the less watch your valuables - that skirt is oh so nice
but without pockets what's a bloke going to do unless you came into the store with one of dem man purse things thus you can see
how well that man purse thing will fashionably mix and match that skirt you are trying on ! LOL !

A store with a superman phone booth for changing is a challenging situation requiring leaving the booth to try the skirt for fit and look.
The stores with fitting rooms with room to walk 4 or 5 steps and have a full body length mirror are the ones that are serious about
your business also you don't have to be a contortionist to use the facility !

So Happy-N-Skirts did you actually buy that faux suede skirt ? You left me hanging locked out of the fitting room ! LOL !

All the Best for the New Year !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote:
Happy-N-Skirts wrote:Yesterday I went shopping to see if any stores have something new. I found a short faux suede skirt and wanted to see how it fit and looked. I asked the sales lady if I could try it on and she said sure and told me her name was Rebecca and she would be near if I needed anything. I tried on the skirt and really wanted to walk around while wearing it to see how if felt. I walked out of the fitting room and the door slammed closed behind me. The young lady was nowhere near, so it meant that I would need to walk out on the sales floor to find her or someone else who could open the door.
That made me smile. I have never come across that sort of thing in shop change rooms - I wonder how one gets into a vacant one in the first place.
I went to a conference recently and stayed in student accommodation which needed a card to open the self closing and locking door of my room. Going to the shared ammenities at night meant remembering the card ...... a recipe for embarassing situations; wandering around in nightwear of choice with phone locked in room and can't ring security........
Wearing a skirt when shopping for skirts saves a lot of misunderstanding, but can have it's downside when one sees a 9" flared micro skirt for $1 at a thrift shop.

I wonder how one gets into a vacant one in the first place.
Thrift stores generally have small booths with a curtain closing.
Better retailers have the changing booths either arranged by sex in a department store or like Target and Wal*Mart with all the changing fitting booths in one location
and having a clerk directing you to an empty booth.
If you don't like your selection that clerk takes the item from you and arranges to have it placed back on the rack you found it at. ***
*** suggestion to bring several sizes with you to get it right without having to run back and forth to the rack or shelf you found the skirt.

I went to a conference recently and stayed in student accommodation which needed a card to open the self closing and locking door of my room.
This is no different than a hotel or a cruise ship where your Key Card opens your assigned door. Lose the Key Card or fail to take it with you - you are not getting
back in until you can locate as you noted security or in the case of the hotel a maid - cruise ship a cabin steward.
BEST that you not be in an uncompromising position with a towel wrapped around you if at that ! ROF-LOL !
HINT ! take the Key Card if that is all that you take - and since this is a skirt forum suggest your wrap be at least a wrap skirt or kilt !

And regarding that 9" flared micro-skirt are you sure that is not some kind of belt to go around a much more lengthy skirt ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

r.m.anderson wrote: Thrift stores generally have small booths with a curtain closing.
I was in such a booth, with one leg in a skirt and the other foot caught a pocket or something and I lost my balance falling towards the curtain which I grabbed to prevent a fall. It wasn't a good look and I was lucky no-one was around to see me plus my reflection in the full length mirror.
r.m.anderson wrote: And regarding that 9" flared micro-skirt are you sure that is not some kind of belt to go around a much more lengthy skirt ?
In reality it would be something to wear over stretch leggings or at the beach over Speedos, to prevent any suspicion of smuggling budgies.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I did buy the faux suede skirt. It is very soft fabric sort of like microfiber and hangs just right. I visit stores about every three weeks to see if they have changed seasonal inventory or some new stuff. I have plenty of skirts and don't need any more. It is fun to try them on. Some stores have a dressing room attendant whose job it is watch for thefts. I am sure there are plenty of men who try on women's clothing. Some of the clerks have told me about them. Some only try them on and then leave. Some buy them, but very few wear them outside of the dressing room. Several have told me their husbands or brothers wear female items either all the time or at least they try things on. Much more common than most people think. I think I am one of few who exit the dressing rooms to ask the opinions about fit and appearance. I have been places where another shopper has seen me but it has never been an issue. I have had a few smiles because it's a novelty.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:...I am sure there are plenty of men who try on women's clothing. Some of the clerks have told me about them. Some only try them on and then leave. Some buy them, but very few wear them outside of the dressing room. Several have told me their husbands or brothers wear female items either all the time or at least they try things on. Much more common than most people think...
Very cool. Now if we can just get those other guys out of the closet...

It'd be interesting to hear more about those other visits, or even be present for a few, eh? Like, you're skirted, but the other guy doesn't notice you, and then he takes something into the dressing room, and when he comes out you start a conversation with, "Yes, I think that looks good on you. Where are you going to wear it?"

But I suppose that's statistically rather unlikely.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I get a lot of my clothes on line. Mainly amazon . After that most of my shopping is at Kohls. I have gone in there in a skirt and tried on both dresses and skirts. I use the men's dressing room
I never left the dressing room and there really was no contact with the store clerks.

The only time I got any reaction was one time I went in there in a skirt and bought some pantyhose. And that was just a weird look at the register . The clerk was a young fellow. I think the reaction was because he was from the neighborhood that I lived in a while back and he was a friend of my son
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Good story....but why is this in the kilts section?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ray wrote:Good story....but why is this in the kilts section?
I think it is because a man went into a store shopping for a S K I R T.
Well everyone knows men don't wear S K I R T s (stay with me on this one) !
When a man wears a S K I R T it is called a K I L T.

So a man went into a store shopping for a MAN's S K I R T ah er a K I L T
and decided to post his trials and tribulations of using the Fitting Room and
being locked out.

Subsequently he found this neat pleatLESS garment that fit and felt just
right - so he bought it and stuck a feather in his hat and called it a K I L T !
And voila to let us know of this he posted in the K I L T section.

Well so much for this - I have worn plaid skirts and instantly it becomes a K I L T.
Really some of the time I have tried to correct the person - it is a S K I R T but never
mind the mind set is that it is worn by a man and is therefore a K I L T.
Why argue just carry on with the skirted charade and enjoy it !

If Happy-N-Skirts had not posted this in the KILT Section I would have missed it !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

If a man wears skirt it is a kilt and if a woman wears the same skirt it is a skirt, that the way I see it.