First time this year

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

First time this year

Post by beachlion »

Today, with the temperature at 60F, around 16C, I decided to walk to the state liquor store to get a bottle of red vermouth (Martini, the original), in a kilt. I cook a lot with wine but I don't spoil it on the food. I had my fake Utilikilt on and started my 20 minute walk while it was getting dark. The little wind felt very refreshing around my legs, I really missed it. On the way back a young lady walked slightly behind me with a cello (I think) over her shoulder. She said out of the blue:"What a beautiful kilt do you have on." I thanked her and we talked about the nice day until we went our way. No better way to start the skirt/kilt season.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time this year

Post by Caultron »

Don't you just love it when young women with cellos like your kilt?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yeah. All the women I chat up have cellos over their shoulders :wink: . Would that it were 60 deg. F here. Right now we're having a cold snap with daytime temps around 40 deg.F.....too blxxdy cold for kilting.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:..Right now we're having a cold snap with daytime temps around 40 deg.F.....too blxxdy cold for kilting...
Try leggings.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
DonP

Post by DonP »

Can't wait for spring. I know there are ways to make a kilt comfortable in the cold, but sometimes pants are just more appropriate. It won't be long now. We just got 18" of snow but most of the winter is behind us.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Leggings.....Hate 'em. Might as well put on a pair of trews.

I do however wear them sometimes for competitive rowing in very cold conditions under my 'one piece' rowing gear. A one-piece is a stretchy shorts & singlet combined, which leaves no gap at the rear when one crumples forward on the slide to take the next stroke. For our training outings next w/end with temps. around zero forecast ,I will wear leggings. For a race I wear removable 'bottoms' for the warm-up, but it's bare legs for the start.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I wear my kilts (and skirts) for comfort, the feeling of freedom around your legs and the gentle breeze. Long socks when it is colder is for me the limit. Anything more is less comfortable than jeans.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Kirbstone wrote:Leggings.....Hate 'em. Might as well put on a pair of trews.
Tom
Same feelings here. Why wear the unbifiricated gament if your going to put on tight, or leggings. The open air feel is why I like to wear kilts in the first place. I'm looking forward to the warmer temps here in northern Indiana. To get kilted and get out and about. I was out once in the freezing cold temps kilted, but I have alway gotten cold easy so I do not see kilts out doors in winter as super practical. Kilts are suprisingly warm in the cold weather, but not quite enough to make me happy. So jeans and fleece lined trousers for now. March and warmer temps is only a month away :)
Soon :)
Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:Leggings.....Hate 'em. Might as well put on a pair of trews...
Well, if you're about to put on trews anyway, why not leggings? At least you still get the look of a skirt.

But I don't wear them either, unless cool temperatures demand it.

caultron
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

A bit cool for kilts/skirts? I have above the knee walking socks from The Wasdale Sock Company. Go to; http://www.wasdalesocks.co.uk

They are in Cumbria (north west England) and are comfortable down to about freezing dependant on wind strength. I don't like tights and hold ups only work for an hour or two.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtedbrit wrote:A bit cool for kilts/skirts? I have above the knee walking socks from The Wasdale Sock Company. Go to; http://www.wasdalesocks.co.uk

They are in Cumbria (north west England) and are comfortable down to about freezing dependant on wind strength. I don't like tights and hold ups only work for an hour or two.
Take your hold-up sox and add the elastic band used for flashes (sans the flashes) and voila perhaps problemo solved !
Think outside the box but underneath the problem area !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !