Kilts at home

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Harry

Kilts at home

Post by Harry »

Hello, i have wearing kilts mostly at home.
Last edited by Harry on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilts at home

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Hi Harry, Welcome to the SkirtCafe. Tell us more about yourself and where in Holland you are. We are a very friendly bunch dedicated to the wearing of skirts (as well as Kilts) and dresses as men.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ik live in Netherlands.With my wife.
Last edited by Harry on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonP

Post by DonP »

Hello Harry. I'm with you. I like to wear kilts, frequently when I am home and sometimes out and about. I wear them in place of shorts so I 'm not too concerned about all the proper attire that goes with them.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi Harry. Good to hear we have a new kilter. I started wearing a 'hiking kilt' (made by Sportskilt) around the house and garden. The material was far too thin though for public use, and would end up around my neck at the slightest breeze. But it was a million times more comfortable than the jeans I had been wearing on a daily basis. The difference was a major improvement. Then I bought my first 'proper' kilt in the more subdued Black Watch tartan, and after summoning up enough courage drove to a distant place and chanced walking around in it. I needn't have been so wimpish about it though, as I've now discovered after some years of kilting.
In this country, and probably most, there is the irritation of automatically being labelled Scottish - not that that's undesirable, I would have loved to have had some Scottish blood in me - and only this morning a little kid in the cafeteria queue with his dad pointed at me - I was already sitting at a table - and asked 'Who's that?'. His dad replied 'Oh, he's Scottish. We can't sit with him'. I think he meant that I probably wanted some privacy - at least I hope that's what he inferred.
If you do venture kilted past your front door, you must expect a few odd stares but don't be phased by gawkers...or strange comments. For me, making a statement is half the fun of choosing to be different to the jeans-clad masses. How dull.
Good luck!
Pete
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This is also a 'Kilt at home' post.

Just returned from Kerry & I've donned my brand-new Skellig War-on-the-rock T-shirt, which they're flogging to all and sundry since the closing scene of episode 7 of Star Wars was filmed there.
To the fashionistas of this Forum, who worry about proportions I proffer untucked and tucked-with-belt pics, the bottom half being a Sportkilt. Btw. New heels too, from Lidl.

I prefer the tucked proportion myself. My dog Benjy doesn't mind, either way !

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I like your outfit, Kirbstone. :D
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Good either way, Tom.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

It looks great, feels great, so do it. Try going to a beach, park, forest reserve, and go for a long walk. You can be close to other people, or far from them. If you pass someone going the opposite direction, the encounter will last three seconds. They may smile, look funny, or say something pleasant, or engage you in conversation. This is a test while you are out and about. Handle it with confidence and you will be respected, and you will enjoy it. It gets easier and more fun. I do something like that every week, including stores, gas stations, restaurants, banks. I have NEVER had a negative comment, stare, laugh. Most don't notice at all, some do and show an approving expression. Some will admire you.

I started with a velcro towel wrap around the house, then a tennis skirt, and now a collection. I always hike in a skirt because it is so comfortable, keeps me drier, freedom.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:
I started with a velcro towel wrap around the house, then a tennis skirt, and now a collection. I always hike in a skirt because it is so comfortable, keeps me drier, freedom.

I also started with a towel wrap. I sewed up a toel and ended up with tattered hanging threads all over. Wife bought me a proper towel wrap and like you, i haven't looked back.

I now have a collection of skirts and kilts.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My chosen spot for these two new kilts was flooded last November, just for a day. I include a pic for interest.

One kilt is heavy denim and you know it's there all the time. The other is a ladies' kilted skirt, light, silky and moves nicely.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Growing up I sometimes wondered what it would feel like to try on a skirt but never actually tried one. Years later I had sensitive groin surgery and bought a tennis skirt to wear around the house for comfort. Pants were painful being tight in the wrong places and the friction when walking. An alternative was to wear nothing during recovery, which I did and still do.

It took awhile to get used to the sensation of wearing a skirt and feeling my thighs contacting one another when walking. It was awkward and I was always aware of the feeling. I tried wearing a skirt in public places such as state and national parks and learned to thoroughly enjoy the freedom and comfort and staying dry.

I have been wearing skirts at least once a week to nearly every day over a span of about two years. I used to be afraid to walk outside and go to the mail box. I am in the front yard a lot but am not ready to wear skirts everywhere near our house. I am completely comfortable wearing skirts in public if I am five or more miles from home. I still wear shorts or pants when I am at a club or organization I belong to. I have worn a skirt in some situations around friends. I haven’t had any negative comments. One guy admitted he wished he had the guts to try it. I was like that a couple of years ago.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:...I have been wearing skirts at least once a week to nearly every day over a span of about two years. I used to be afraid to walk outside and go to the mail box. I am in the front yard a lot but am not ready to wear skirts everywhere near our house. I am completely comfortable wearing skirts in public if I am five or more miles from home. I still wear shorts or pants when I am at a club or organization I belong to. I have worn a skirt in some situations around friends. I haven’t had any negative comments. One guy admitted he wished he had the guts to try it. I was like that a couple of years ago.
My advice is to keep at it, and I'm sure your friends and neighbors will react at least as well as all those strangers you've been encountering.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have been wearing the Traditonal Scottish Kilt for years......I also wear a lighter weight,
below the knee , ladies tartan Kilt Skirt ....Most enquirers have never seen a Kilt and cannot
tell the difference between a Kilt and a " Man in a Skirt " outfit... ... so the choice is yours.
Folks are happy that one is a Kiltie, or " a Man in a Skirt " if one wears male or " Unisex " clothes
above the waist.
I usually define my male gender by wearing a drovers sporran hanging from my leather waist belt
with both my Kilt or my " Man in a Skirt " outfits.

I sometimes explain that I wear my Drovers Sporran to carry my day's supply of musket balls and
porridge oats when I go cattle driving. .......weeladdie
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

An interesting example of bleed over, weeladdie. I wonder if anybody has ever mistaken skorts for a kilt? :mrgreen: