Did it myself

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Did it myself

Post by melsav »

Pics of my very first camo kilt, made it myself, finished it this afternoon, even the wife likes it and even willing to be seen in public with me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Did it myself

Post by skirtyscot »

Great result in more ways than one!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Well done, a heck of a lot more than I could do!
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Well done! Kilts are pretty tricky things to get right.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That is one well-done job, sir! Congratulations, not only on pulling it off but also that your wife is willing to be seen with you when you're wearing it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Nice...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I like that well done
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Why buy things, when you can get just what you want making it yourself?

I'l be getting the sewing machine out soon, but whether the result is as good as yours, Melsav, it won't be as bad as a utility kilt I ordered last summer.

Martin
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Thanks guys for your feedback. I used an article from Xkilt that I found on the Internet and used that as my starting point, very simple to follow. To make it cost about R200. 00 for material and 2 days making, accuracy and patience are needed and no distractions :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Indeed, a fine job on a good-looking rig. Well done,Sir!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Well done Melsav - looks great. :) What weight of fabric did you use? I made a utility kilt a few years ago using gaberdine but I feel it's a bit light weight.

And did you add any pockets?

Donald
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi Donald. It's a light weight poly cotton, cheap material, did not want to spend a fortune on on more expensive material and could not make the kilt then get feed up and leave it. Just got some denim material to make another one, in this one I will try pockets. On the camo kilt I made 3 inch pleats, my wife wants me to make the denim kilt with 2 inch pleats, not too sure myself, what do you Think?
Melvin.
:D
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

melsav wrote:Hi Donald. It's a light weight poly cotton, cheap material, did not want to spend a fortune on on more expensive material and could not make the kilt then get feed up and leave it. Just got some denim material to make another one, in this one I will try pockets. On the camo kilt I made 3 inch pleats, my wife wants me to make the denim kilt with 2 inch pleats, not too sure myself, what do you Think?
Melvin.
:D
There is denim and denim. The grades range from soft, thin fabrics, that hang well, right through to something between military-grade canvas and thin cardboard that can almost stand up on its own. If you use 2-inch pleats with the lightest grade, you could finish up with something that looked like a school uniform and if you use too stiff a grade, it won't have the natural 'swing' of a kilt.

Make sure you choose a suitable grade of denim (and be prepared to sew-in the pleat edges if necessary).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi Pelmet. Thanks for the advice. I am using a mid range denim, not too stiff, once it's washed it should soften up also. It is my intention to sew the pleats as i did with the camo kilt to make it easy to iron and I think it looks nicer.
Melvin :D
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

melsav wrote:Hi Pelmet. Thanks for the advice. I am using a mid range denim, not too stiff, once it's washed it should soften up also. It is my intention to sew the pleats as i did with the camo kilt to make it easy to iron and I think it looks nicer.
Melvin :D
It's a bit of a hassle sewing-in the pleats, but it looks a lot smarter and saves a of bother every time you wash and iron it.
Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing the result.