Utilikilt at Disneyland?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
derail3

Utilikilt at Disneyland?

Post by derail3 »

The wife and I are going to Disneyland next weekend. The kids are not coming with us. We are both in our late fifties but young at heart. Predicted to be a nice weather and was thinking about wearing one of my Utilikilts with sandals and a polo shirt. Having second thoughts about wearing it in a family theme park. Have decided to wear it on the flight between San Francico and Los Angles. This will be my first time flying wearing a kilt. Does anyone have experance wearing a kilt at Disneyland or some thoughts about it?
Milfmog

Re: Utilikilt at Disneyland?

Post by Milfmog »

I always prefer to fly in a kilt or skirt and have never had any issues with that (avoid kilts with heavy buckles that will upset the metal detectors...)

I have never felt any urge to visit any of the Disney parks, but have worn a Utilikilt at both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park in the UK. Neither venue threw up any difficulties, in fact, as is often the case, the kilt provided the opening to many interesting conversations that I would not otherwise have had and made the time spent queueing for the various attractions far less of a chore than it would otherwise have been. I see no reason why Disney would be very different.

Have fun (and enjoy Disney),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

My traditional kilt has three buckles, however after removing the belt and it's front ingot (bloody great lump of metal/buckle thing) I haven't had a problem passing through the detectors, oh yes and removing the sporran and it's chain.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

derail3 wrote:The wife and I are going to Disneyland next weekend. The kids are not coming with us. We are both in our late fifties but young at heart. Predicted to be a nice weather and was thinking about wearing one of my Utilikilts with sandals and a polo shirt. Having second thoughts about wearing it in a family theme park. Have decided to wear it on the flight between San Francico and Los Angles. This will be my first time flying wearing a kilt. Does anyone have experance wearing a kilt at Disneyland or some thoughts about it?
My advice, if your wife will support it, is to enjoy the trip 100% kilted. Don't even pack a pair of pants.

Be careful how you sit on the rides, though.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Agreed, be wary of mishaps with rides, etc. Have fun.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Don't even pack a pair of pants.
With a nod to our UK contingent, pack pants, one pair per day, and wear 'em, just so you don't flash the unsuspecting when you least intend it.

One has to love the inconsistency betwixt English and American (and I'll leave Australian right out of that mix, thank you very much)!

(Mixing idioms is especially sweet when identical words in the two, rather diverging, languages have completely different meanings. I have had much fun with that over the years. It's also fun when the meaning of words have changed meanings over time in one language and one uses the older meaning in current speech.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Right, by pants I meant trousers, not underwear. And whether to bring underwear is totally up to you. A lot depends on the length of your hemline and the level of your experience.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Caultron wrote: And whether to bring underwear is totally up to you.

Very well said! And Utilikilts in particular are very well behaved - you'd almost have to be trying to flash someone, or in a fairly strong wind, for anyone to determine what you chose.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Breezy

Post by Breezy »

I can not foresee any problems, a kilt is different from a skirt after all. When i visited last year, it was around Burns night, (a Scottish houliday) and they had many Scottish themed things, including Micky in a kilt. S i would be surprised it they took issue with a customer wearing one.
xman29

Post by xman29 »

My friend wore a Utilikilt at Disneyworld. A ~14 year old girl who passed him said "freak." He yelled back "You should get to know me before calling me a freak."

There is no reason to be concerned about wearing a kilt at Disney. It is not a bible park or like going to the Vatican. You do not need trousers or pants.
Layne

Post by Layne »

I went with the entire extended family back in March. I flew from New Orleans, LA and didn't pack anything but kilts. I got nothing but positive responses - and tons from Disney Employees there from Scotland. I'll see if I have a pic from there and post.
FrostedTheFlake

Post by FrostedTheFlake »

I haven't worn a kilt to Disneyland (yet), but I've seen men wear Utilikilts from time to time with no issues.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Nice to see a number of junior members joining the discussion.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I usually carry a pair of shorts with me to change if I run into a problem. They are nylon and roll up neatly. I have never had a problem, but one never knows. Disneyland used to have a strict dress code regarding footwear and "outlandish" clothing styles. There was a big law suit when a mother and her daughter were denied entry because they wore unusual (for that time) punk clothing and make up. The mother was a lawyer. If you were challenged, just say it is cultural and you are Scottish and that's the way you always dress. You could also say you are a musician in a Scottish band. I am sure you will not be confronted and you will probably be the most comfortable male in the Magic Kingdom. I am sure they would be worried about some kind of LGBT legal problem. If the airline doesn't have a problem, you won't either. Neither will Mickey. Maybe Goofy though.
Joe Tulare

Post by Joe Tulare »

xman29 wrote: There is no reason to be concerned about wearing a kilt at Disney. It is not a bible park or like going to the Vatican. You do not need trousers or pants.
Couldn't help chuckling over this one.While wearing a kilt or skirt at either place would be frowned upon, neither the Pope nor Jesus wear/wore pants as far as I can tell.

People are weird!