So, kiltshopping?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
D McD

Re: So, kiltshopping?

Post by D McD »

That is tremendously helpful, thank you.

The dimensions/measurement issue is definitely one that has been troubling me. Some places ask for four measurements, others just one. It seems an easy bet as to which supplier is likely to deliver something more or less as hoped for.

How about Scottish Kilt Shop? They seem to be an interesting middle point between rock bottom pricing and something better than that, and ask for all four measurements.

Would love to know more about the "kilt mafia". If there's a thread or two on that topic, it sounds like it would be very interesting!
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

D McD wrote:That is tremendously helpful, thank you.

The dimensions/measurement issue is definitely one that has been troubling me. Some places ask for four measurements, others just one. It seems an easy bet as to which supplier is likely to deliver something more or less as hoped for.

How about Scottish Kilt Shop? They seem to be an interesting middle point between rock bottom pricing and something better than that, and ask for all four measurements.

Would love to know more about the "kilt mafia". If there's a thread or two on that topic, it sounds like it would be very interesting!
Two Kilt suppliers which I have used and can commend are https://kiltsociety.com/ or for a more casual look within their Hill walker range at https://unionkilts.com/product-category ... ker-kilts/ .

Trousers (pants) usually define the waist size as worn above the hip and below the belly. Not so for a Kilt. The waist measurement is defined at the fullest part of the waist at stomach button level. A quality made Kilt will have two strap adjustments, one at the waist one just above the hip, it is the hip strap which is adjusted to grip and prevent the kilt sliding down, the waist strap may may be a little loose for comfort.
The distance between the two, sometimes termed the rise, is an unpleated band and can be specified by some higher quality manufacturers. Length can also be chosen, a traditional kilt is worn on the knee. Kneel down with your back straight and ask someone else to measure the distance from the stomach button to the floor. Surprisingly this will nearly always be 24 inches.
D McD

Post by D McD »

Thank you, the Kilt Society site in particular looks really nice.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

From a UK based buyer, both Kilt Society and Heritage of Scotland offer 'Casual' Kilts in 5 and 8 yard options. The 8 yarders are obviously heavier and offer a better 'swing', but if you want the 'open bottom' effect, then a 5 yard kilt will fit the bill.

UK prices are around £30 for 5 yard and £50 for 8 yard, so these are far East imports.
D McD

Post by D McD »

An "open bottom" effect. I'm scared to ask what that might be! :oops: :lol:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Freefrom wrote:Length can also be chosen, a traditional kilt is worn on the knee. Kneel down with your back straight and ask someone else to measure the distance from the stomach button to the floor. Surprisingly this will nearly always be 24 inches.
This assumption makes kilt buying hard for someone with my measurements where it's more like 19 inches.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

D McD wrote:An "open bottom" effect. I'm scared to ask what that might be! :oops: :lol:
The lighter fabrics tend to respond more readily to wind and the like because they're not weighted down by thicker materials. In other words, you're more likely to get "wind under" a 5-yarder than an 8-yarder. (The "yards" being literally the number of yards of fabric that gets pleated into the garment.)

There exist online, e-books that detail the construction of a "proper" kilt, and they're surprisingly intricate and some require custom fabric -- and a lot of it. A reasonably-sized bloke might require two yards or so of fabric to produce an a-line skirt. A eight-yard kilt has eight linear yards (yes, Virginia, that's 24 feet) of linear fabric very carefully pleated to match in various ways, the particular plaid the garment in constructed in. The net result is that one has two overlapping aprons at the bow and a vast mass of pleats astern.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I now have several such 8-yarders including a denim one. They each weigh a ton and I'm much happier prancing about in something a fraction of that weight.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

r.m.anderson wrote:I can "highly" recommend StillwaterKilts !
I have 7 and they represent the best bang for the buck (or pound) in the business.
The 7 kilts represent a dressy collection for parties; events and holiday wear.
With service 'Par Excellence' - once you press that enter key you better hurry to the door to receive your kilt.
Ok a bit of over exaggerated emphasis but the shipping and customer service is outstanding !
StillwaterKilts carries the basic tartan patterns so having a kilt in stock is no problem (Except 'Green' Kilts - St. Paddy's Day) !
I live very close to Stillwater and buy my kilts by appointment but the record of reviews Stillwater has had about delivery service is noted by customer feedback !

No one has mentioned another kilt sales website - Sport Kilt located near Long Beach CA.
Their inventory of kilts is impressive with options to customize from a basic wrap kilt to the full "Tank" (dress kilt) with accessories.
Kilts for Men - Women & Kids.
Stock items shipped in a flash - custom orders a tad bit longer.
I have 13 of the SportKilt kilts from the Women's Ultra Mini Kilt* # (2) Mini Kilt* (7) to the Men's casual kilts (4).
* The women's kilts are perfect in the 16 inch length the mini's are 14 (shorter poses unique problems in more than a joking way).
# The women's Ultra Mini Kilts would compete with what Wim Jansma has picture in another post - Some like em Short - I can go just so much further ! LOL !
Take in some Polar Vortex weather and the men's kilts and cable knit sox or tights keep the home fires burning warmly.

The above two StillwaterKilts and SportKilt come with "Summa Cum Laude" credentials !!!!!
I concur regarding Stillwater Kilts. I have 5 at the moment. 3 of the Regulars and 2 of the Thriftys. Excellent sales and service. They have called to verify an order when I'd ordered kilthangers for the Thrifty kilts when I'd ordered Regular kilts (they were out of hangers for the Regulars). And they product does arrive rather quickly.

I just might look into a couple of their MINI 14". their ULTRA MINI 12" and HIKING and SPORT (in 16/18/20"). We shall see.

What I'm wearing right now is just a bit over 14" and works well with leggings.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

///snip///

My comments inserted - Stillwater Kilts does not have MINI-Kilts while designed for women - men and myself can wear them ! Who says I can't - Get me Claymore for a second opinion !

I concur regarding Stillwater Kilts. I have 5 at the moment. 3 of the Regulars and 2 of the Thriftys. Excellent sales and service. They have called to verify an order when I'd ordered kilthangers for the Thrifty kilts when I'd ordered Regular kilts (they were out of hangers for the Regulars). And they product does arrive rather quickly.

The above comment applies to Stillwater Kilts - - -

I just might look into a couple of their MINI 14". their ULTRA MINI 12" and HIKING and SPORT (in 16/18/20"). We shall see.

This above comment applies to Sport Kilt - - -

What I'm wearing right now is just a bit over 14" and works well with leggings.[/quote]

Authors comment in bold & underlined
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yesterday after a five-week delay I took delivery from the Scotland Shop one ladies' tailor-made kilt exactly to my measurements. It fits like a glove, hangs perfectly and is light and swings deliciously as I walk. Pricey, though, but well worth it. No-one will bother that it fastens on the left.
I have said previously that certain 8-yarders 'weigh a ton' and are tiresome to wear. This is light and lovely and is in a striking brown tartan. Thompson Camel, which I like.

I cannot upload a catalogue image, but hope to model it myself on camera in the coming days.

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Coming days?....Weeks, more like.

Outside weather frightful, but have the place to myself, so lit a big fire in the drawing room and fired off a few flash shots. Camera tends to shoot 7+ megapixels, After cropping & resizing the original sharpness is gone, alas. Not sure what to do about that.

Modeled Thompson Camel kilt with tank top and safari jacket. Choose.

Btw. The Waterford 'Lismore' glass contains a drop of Teelings 12 year-old Triple distilled Malt.....Slainte!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Those are fine images, Sir, and it looks like you're enjoying yourself. Bravo!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Those socks are so the finishing touch…
nice kilt alright, and a proper glass.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Both outfits look fine to me, as does the log fire! (Electric job with WHITE LED behind the coals. Where's the logic in that?)