So, kiltshopping?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Felipe

So, kiltshopping?

Post by Felipe »

Since BBCode is off, I can't format this very well.. I'll just write it in and post links I guess?

Well.. I was looking to buy a custom made utility kilt, the other day, and I bumped into a number of websites advertising their wares. I scanned through four websites in order to weigh my options and this was what I found based on parameters such as origin of product, prices, and particular bespoke features of each brand, delivery time and promotional offers.

http://www.altkilt.com/ is a one man business whose origin is in Wisconsin, USA. Their utility kit is on the high side probably because it is a one man business. They offer their utility kits for prices between $185 and $300, although with a wider range of options. Although, there are not too many speciality kilts, but the few offered are as a denim and leather kilt, some of their poplur and specialy kilts are
Dual colored kilt with a combination of over 100 colours to choose from with availability in weight, wrinkle-resistant poly or cotton and you can choose the both colors.
military kilt that has a tough military look to the olive drab colour with the option of choice of being hand distressed or not;
Fireman kilt with asymmetrical front apron and a trio of buttons for design; a stainless steel armoured kilt which is black heavy cotton kilt with cargo pockets and panels of steel on the sides, and the Anima kilt that features a detachable swag pocket and antique brass latch and a number of utility loops.

Product delivery time was not clearly stated on this website despite claims of shipment of a number of kilts already this year. There are no utility kilts on a clearance sale on this website. Customer feedbacks range from satisfactory to impressive which is a good pointer to look to. Besides, it is also easy to order from this site after filling in measurements of your vital statistics.

http://www.kiltThis.com/ is a kilt manufacturer that is based in Washington, USA. They offer their various utility for a minimum price of $250 with a truly distinctive array of kilts to suit various occasions and functions. The products on offer are such that you will be spoilt for choice.
There are the camouflage utility kilt; the leather kilt that is all leathery for the upper and lower parts of the body;
front apron kilts which are kilts fitted with detachable aprons of different colors according to taste; the hiker utility kilts that either comes with latch closures or without; and double cross kilt that comes with interchangeable options and upgrades.

Nevertheless, the downside to this is that their standard shipment of all products is between 4-6 weeks. They also have a number of offers, slashing down most of their kilt collection by $100 as a clearance sale. Across the board, customer feedback is largely positive and it offers a straightforward means of making an order.

http://scottishkiltshop.com/ originates from Maryland, USA, even though a part of their domain name may have suggested otherwise. They offer very low prices and most of their kilts within the price range of $35 to $175 with a number of bespoke kilts that can be worn for various jobs or exercises.

There are made to measure options available for almost the entire kilt at Scottish kilt shop and you may customize any kilt for Waist, Length and color of your choice. They offer a large variety of kilts in different materials like denim, Cotton, Leather, camo and Poly cotton.
Some of the popular products of Scottish kilt shop includes

Cargo Kilt for Active men which is made with a heavy duty cotton that can accommodate for tough use, cargo style pockets for added style and usability
Casual utility kilt for women is made with 100 % cotton material with a range of colors available to choose for equally popular in women and girls
Deluxe Kilt for Royal men is made for men and ladies that comes with four internal studs and a leather snap securing strap that can help for waist adjustment offers a elegant style.
Ghothic kilt which is a made from a Goth clothing style and designed with gothic style pockets and a modified apron cut in front;
Almost all of the kilts are available in black, Khaki, blue and green colors along with the option to choose hardware and buttons style and color as well

Their delivery time of product shipment within and outside the US is between 7-20 days and they have a featured number of their kilts on a clearance sale. Customer feedbacks on the website show that a lot of people were satisfied with their orders which are a good sign for prospective buyers. It also provides a straight forward way to shop by giving the option of entering the size of your order and then following a link to place your order.

http://www.usakilts.com/ is a kilt manufacturer located in Pennsylvania, USA. They seem to have not much variety according to needs or as occasion dictates. That being said, they have a collection of kilt which they offer for just about $100, which are some of the cheapest you’ll find anywhere. Some of the popular kilts from USAkilts include
casual kilts which offers a large variety of option to choose from no of Tartans, sizing details with matching flashes and other option to best suit a kilt at you
semi-traditional kilts is also a one of the popular kilts range from the company it also offers the large no of tartans to choose and the all the custom sizing including waist, length and hips size so the kilt you choose best fits at you
tweed kilt is anther kilt from USA Kilts It is constructed from 5 yards tweed cloth with all customizable options available to choose for any waist and length;
And all their kilts come in various fabric of cotton or wool with a range of color options to choose from. Plus, all tartan kilts are claimed to be registered under the Scottish Tartan registry which is aimed at keeping up with the heritage of the product.

They offer free shipment on products above $200 but only within the USA. As for their standard shipping period, it is not clearly stated on the website. There are various kilts and a handful of accessories on offer on a clearance sale. Customer feedback and reviews are given for each product on display hand is very impressive to look to. They offer one of the best ordering options of the lots with specific options for the vital statistic and even more.

The above are my findings, which means you can decide to go for any one of the brands based on the positives attached to it, but bear in mind that you cannot have it all; you’ll be compromising one thing for another.

Sorry for any English typos friends! Let me know if you have any questions around these. I'll try and help ya. :)
Uncle Al

Re: So, kiltshopping?

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Felipe and :welcome:

I will add that you left out www.stillwaterkilts.com.
I have 3 of their kilts and the last 2 were ordered - online - on
a Friday night and I had them in the mail the following Tuesday.
That's a WIN for me ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I can "highly" recommend StillwaterKilts !
I have 7 and they represent the best bang for the buck (or pound) in the business.
The 7 kilts represent a dressy collection for parties; events and holiday wear.
With service 'Par Excellence' - once you press that enter key you better hurry to the door to receive your kilt.
Ok a bit of over exaggerated emphasis but the shipping and customer service is outstanding !
StillwaterKilts carries the basic tartan patterns so having a kilt in stock is no problem (Except 'Green' Kilts - St. Paddy's Day) !
I live very close to Stillwater and buy my kilts by appointment but the record of reviews Stillwater has had about delivery service is noted by customer feedback !

No one has mentioned another kilt sales website - Sport Kilt located near Long Beach CA.
Their inventory of kilts is impressive with options to customize from a basic wrap kilt to the full "Tank" (dress kilt) with accessories.
Kilts for Men - Women & Kids.
Stock items shipped in a flash - custom orders a tad bit longer.
I have 13 of the SportKilt kilts from the Women's Ultra Mini Kilt* # (2) Mini Kilt* (7) to the Men's casual kilts (4).
* The women's kilts are perfect in the 16 inch length the mini's are 14 (shorter poses unique problems in more than a joking way).
# The women's Ultra Mini Kilts would compete with what Wim Jansma has picture in another post - Some like em Short - I can go just so much further ! LOL !
Take in some Polar Vortex weather and the men's kilts and cable knit sox or tights keep the home fires burning warmly.

For a more complete list of kilt sellers makers etc. go to this forum and drop down to merchants.
I am a Life Member and go by the same name as in this forum - r.m.anderson
If you are a BOTK member you can receive a 10% discount on your order from these merchants.

BOTK Website: http://www.kiltsrock.com/forum

There are a great deal more kilt sites than you would think - in helps and pays to review each for the pros and cons of their kilts and accessories.
The above two StillwaterKilts and SportKilt come with "Summa Cum Laude" credentials !!!!!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Felipe wrote:...I was looking to buy a custom made utility kilt, the other day, and I bumped into a number of websites advertising their wares. I scanned through four websites in order to weigh my options and this was what I found based on parameters such as origin of product, prices, and particular bespoke features of each brand, delivery time and promotional offers...
I recently purchased a kilt from alt.kilt and I'm very happy with it. The garment seems very well-sewed, and the fabric and pleats hang out very flat even without ironing. Also, these kilts have box pleats, which have always appealed to me.

The prices are certainly more than you pay for Pakistani kilts but, if anything, a little lower than most kilts sewn in the USA. They also have sales from time to time. This kilt I have is their Standard model, which I bought for 15% off. Based on my first experience, I have two more of these on order. One is their Anime kilt, which I got for half price, and the other is their Snap Classic Ultra Pocket model, which is currently available in gray for $150, a discount of $75 from the usual price of $225.

Kilt This has some highly original styles, some nice and some to my eye ugly. But they're kind of pricey and once, when I was considering buying, they refused to answer my questions. For example, I asked how the removable/interchangeable apron was constructed so as not to fly open in the wind or when sitting, and they told me that was a trade secret and they didn't want their competitors to know. Which seemed kind of flakey or paranoid because their competitors could just buy one either directly or on eBay and look at it all they wanted.

SportKilt has typically high made-in-the-USA prices but some nice styles. I bought a $250 Team Kilt for 15% off during a sale because I liked the black fabric with digital camo inside the pleats. But when the kilt arrived, the buckles I ordered were directly over the slash pockets I'd chosen, blocking any use of the right pocket. That was kind of brain dead, and I ended up shipping the kilt back to them so they could remove the buckles. One of the pleats was sewn crooked at the top and their repair job on that seems kind of amateurish. Instead of resewing the top so the pleat hung right, they sewed the whole pleat together.

Sportkilt kilts are made with more of a knit fabric than woven, which creates some extra swish but also exaggerates wind problems. The fabric has started to pill up after just a few washings, which is disturbing for such an expensive garment. Also, most of their kilts have elastic waistbands and a Velcro closure rather than belt loops. You can get optional belt loops but the elastic waistband tends to bunch up under the belt. The one model that doesn't have an elastic waistband is considered a specialty item with a jacked-up price.

www.utkilts.com is another good place to get utility kilts for less than $100. Of course, these are also Pakistani-made.

http://www.altkilt.com/ is a one man business whose origin is in Wisconsin, USA. Their utility kit is on the high side probably because it is a one man business. They offer their utility kits for prices between $185 and $300, although with a wider range of options. Although, there are not too many speciality kilts, but the few offered are as a denim and leather kilt, some of their poplur and specialy kilts are
Dual colored kilt with a combination of over 100 colours to choose from with availability in weight, wrinkle-resistant poly or cotton and you can choose the both colors.
military kilt that has a tough military look to the olive drab colour with the option of choice of being hand distressed or not;
Fireman kilt with asymmetrical front apron and a trio of buttons for design; a stainless steel armoured kilt which is black heavy cotton kilt with cargo pockets and panels of steel on the sides, and the Anima kilt that features a detachable swag pocket and antique brass latch and a number of utility loops.

Product delivery time was not clearly stated on this website despite claims of shipment of a number of kilts already this year. There are no utility kilts on a clearance sale on this website. Customer feedbacks range from satisfactory to impressive which is a good pointer to look to. Besides, it is also easy to order from this site after filling in measurements of your vital statistics.

http://www.kiltThis.com/ is a kilt manufacturer that is based in Washington, USA. They offer their various utility for a minimum price of $250 with a truly distinctive array of kilts to suit various occasions and functions. The products on offer are such that you will be spoilt for choice.
There are the camouflage utility kilt; the leather kilt that is all leathery for the upper and lower parts of the body;
front apron kilts which are kilts fitted with detachable aprons of different colors according to taste; the hiker utility kilts that either comes with latch closures or without; and double cross kilt that comes with interchangeable options and upgrades.

Nevertheless, the downside to this is that their standard shipment of all products is between 4-6 weeks. They also have a number of offers, slashing down most of their kilt collection by $100 as a clearance sale. Across the board, customer feedback is largely positive and it offers a straightforward means of making an order.

http://scottishkiltshop.com/ originates from Maryland, USA, even though a part of their domain name may have suggested otherwise. They offer very low prices and most of their kilts within the price range of $35 to $175 with a number of bespoke kilts that can be worn for various jobs or exercises.

There are made to measure options available for almost the entire kilt at Scottish kilt shop and you may customize any kilt for Waist, Length and color of your choice. They offer a large variety of kilts in different materials like denim, Cotton, Leather, camo and Poly cotton.
Some of the popular products of Scottish kilt shop includes

Cargo Kilt for Active men which is made with a heavy duty cotton that can accommodate for tough use, cargo style pockets for added style and usability
Casual utility kilt for women is made with 100 % cotton material with a range of colors available to choose for equally popular in women and girls
Deluxe Kilt for Royal men is made for men and ladies that comes with four internal studs and a leather snap securing strap that can help for waist adjustment offers a elegant style.
Ghothic kilt which is a made from a Goth clothing style and designed with gothic style pockets and a modified apron cut in front;
Almost all of the kilts are available in black, Khaki, blue and green colors along with the option to choose hardware and buttons style and color as well

Their delivery time of product shipment within and outside the US is between 7-20 days and they have a featured number of their kilts on a clearance sale. Customer feedbacks on the website show that a lot of people were satisfied with their orders which are a good sign for prospective buyers. It also provides a straight forward way to shop by giving the option of entering the size of your order and then following a link to place your order.

http://www.usakilts.com/ is a kilt manufacturer located in Pennsylvania, USA. They seem to have not much variety according to needs or as occasion dictates. That being said, they have a collection of kilt which they offer for just about $100, which are some of the cheapest you’ll find anywhere. Some of the popular kilts from USAkilts include
casual kilts which offers a large variety of option to choose from no of Tartans, sizing details with matching flashes and other option to best suit a kilt at you
semi-traditional kilts is also a one of the popular kilts range from the company it also offers the large no of tartans to choose and the all the custom sizing including waist, length and hips size so the kilt you choose best fits at you
tweed kilt is anther kilt from USA Kilts It is constructed from 5 yards tweed cloth with all customizable options available to choose for any waist and length;
And all their kilts come in various fabric of cotton or wool with a range of color options to choose from. Plus, all tartan kilts are claimed to be registered under the Scottish Tartan registry which is aimed at keeping up with the heritage of the product.

They offer free shipment on products above $200 but only within the USA. As for their standard shipping period, it is not clearly stated on the website. There are various kilts and a handful of accessories on offer on a clearance sale. Customer feedback and reviews are given for each product on display hand is very impressive to look to. They offer one of the best ordering options of the lots with specific options for the vital statistic and even more.

The above are my findings, which means you can decide to go for any one of the brands based on the positives attached to it, but bear in mind that you cannot have it all; you’ll be compromising one thing for another.

Sorry for any English typos friends! Let me know if you have any questions around these. I'll try and help ya. :)[/quote]
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
kfisher247

Post by kfisher247 »

Is Stillwater Kilts still in business, their website doesn't seem to work for me?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

YES :!: www.stillwaterkilts.com is still in business.
Their website works fine for me and I test it out when I post their
website in any message. The above link works :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Yesterday I ordered an utkilt. $ 50 for an utility kilt and $ 28 shipping to the Netherlands is quite affordable.

I am curious after the quality and the speed of delivery. After reception I 'll let you know what I think of it.

Jan.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Yesterday my utkilt was delivered.
4 Weeks is longer than what I was used to when I previously ordered garments from the States.
It turned out that Dutch Customs had opened the package to check the contents; since nine eleven they are extra cautious.
A person with knowledge of these matters told me that Customs officers also check fabrics for contamination by small bugs and insect eggs.
I had to pay an extra $ 29 for VAT and Customs import duty.
The kilt on itself is OK. The size is right and the length just below the knee, just as I like it.
The color khaki is a tad lighter than shown on the utkilt site and matches my new Geox loafers :lol:
Utility kilts all look the same and are obviously inspired by Utlitikilts. In comparison with UK's and Union Kilts this UTkilt is made of softer Polycotton, making it more comfortable. With the UK prices in mind this UTkilt is a bargain.
Jan.
arteagafalda

Post by arteagafalda »

file:///C:/Users/Estacion12/Downloads/Archivos%20adjuntos_2014529%20(3).zip
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

???

If You were trying to post à mixture, It has to have à http. adresse.

Martin
kiltman12

Post by kiltman12 »

Excellent means of information....you can also visit the following links to make those choices in buying the right kilt:

http://www.kiltonline.com/excellent-mod ... illenials/

http://www.kiltonline.com/best-kilts-me ... odays-age/
~~Kiltman
D McD

Post by D McD »

Hi

Wondering if there are any updates to this?

Some people have mentioned buying on eBay - does anyone have links to bona fide eBay dealers?

Many thanks and Sláinte Mhath

David.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

https://www.utkilts.com/

They now make a custom kilt as well.
D McD

Post by D McD »

Thank you, they've great prices on their entry-level style kilts.

But I'm intrigued and entranced by the $20 sort of price on eBay kilts. I do note the sizing is very basic, so that's a worry right from the get-go, and the adage of "you get what you pay for" keeps sounding in my head.

Has anyone found something of exceptional value on eBay or elsewhere?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

D McD wrote:Hi
Wondering if there are any updates to this?
Some people have mentioned buying on eBay - does anyone have links to bona fide eBay dealers?
Many thanks and Sláinte Mhath
David.
Whether the eBay dealers are bona fide - the answer is left up to the sellers feedback - read it and heed !

A large number of these sellers are from Pakistan India and there abouts.
Some of the kilts made are of questionable material construction and made in the dead of night by less
than adequately paid labor. The price about a tenth of the market in Europe or the USA but it is the
Shipping & Handling that is telling - $50-$60 for a fairly rapid 2nd day delivery - the RETURN however
is killing if there is the least degree of problem with the garment. The seller doesn't want it back due to
import duties so what usually happens - doff it off to charity or wear the darn thing with obvious flaws.
And the best part the seller wanting to keep his feedback clear cracks the whip on the labor and sends the
kilt that should have been sent in the first place.
I know this first hand - having bought a few kilts under these circumstances.

The major problem is the measurements - they can't seem to realize the 3rd dimensions of the human body
thinking of paper cut out dolls in two dimensions (height and width but NO depth).
Overcoming that obstacle and making the kilt to YOUR (my) specs and now we are going somewhere.

This thread was started back circa 2014 - a lot has changed - the kilt mafia in Scotland has been brought
to customer justice (I am not naming names because the names have been changed and business conduct
has improved) regarding the kilts made in the near east things have improved a great deal there and now
the competition is really keen to make an economical kilt for a affordable price with S & H that doesn't
break the bank. And eBay has cleaned house of dealers selling ill made merchandise - again the feedback !

Still yet it is Let the Buyer Beware.

Read more here at SC and other forums before buying that expensive formal dress kilt - as for the casual
knock about kilt just use some care.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !