Article explaining why I wear a kilt for dancing

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Article explaining why I wear a kilt for dancing

Post by Charlie »

I've worn modern kilt to folk dance festivals for some years now. Every now and then someone will ask about it or comment (positively!) on it. It ocurred to me that an article in a folk dance magazine might help to explain things and possibly get some more men into kilts or skirts, at least for dancing. Consequently, I wrote an article for Set & Turn Single (http://www.setandturnsingle.org.uk/). The on-line version is for dance listings, and the paper version contains articles and letters. In 2016 the paper version will cease and the whole magazine will be on-line.
Here's the article I wrote:

At the Chippenham, Lichfield and Sidmouth festivals, one or two of you may have noticed a man contradancing in a kilt. Not a tartan kilt but a black, or maybe olive green modern kilt with big pockets which remove the need for a sporran. Seeing the kilt, people ask if I'm Scottish. No, and I don't do Scottish dancing. I was born and bred in Bristol and much prefer a good zesty contra or a running set. If you must have a Scottish link, my late mother-in-law came from Orkney.

If you wanted to know about the kilt but were afraid to ask, this is for you.

I'd been wearing modern kilts out and about for some time before joining Wells Folk Dance Club. For the first evening there I decided to wear trousers. This was eight years ago when the club was bigger and the members were a little more vigorous. After an evening of unaccustomed exercise in the form of dancing I was hot and uncomfortable. The next week I went back to the comfort of a kilt and have done so ever since except for the one occasion when I wore breeches to a Playford ball.

It was while wearing breeches that I realised how much more fun and comfortable a kilt (or skirt!) is. When you turn or twirl, you feel the weight of the garment as it flares out (you don't get that with trousers). Movement generates a draught which keeps your legs cool (you don't get air conditioning with trousers - why do you think most women wear skirts to contradances?). You get freedom of movement; you feel more relaxed; the ladies love it.

There is a certain mental adjustment you have to make because it's unusual to see a man in an unbifurcated garment (bifurcate: to divide or fork into two branches ie trousers). Some people notice, others don't. If they do notice, they make only positive comments. The trick is to carry on just as if you were wearing trousers. It's a terrific boost to your self-confidence.

On your list of 50 things to do before you die, put dancing in a kilt (or skirt) near the top. Once you've done it you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.
And if you really want to know what's worn under the kilt, buy your own and find out for yourself. Where do I get my kilts? From Union Kilts on the internet. Others are available; just search for 'modern kilts'.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Article explaining why I wear a kilt for dancing

Post by skirtyscot »

Bravo, Charlie. Short and to the point, covering the physical, the mental and the (non) ethnic aspects of it.

Do let us know if you start seeing other skirted men at your dances!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Google
  • contra dancing men skirts
and you'll be amazed at the results.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Charlie's quote:
"
On your list of 50 things to do before you die, put dancing in a kilt (or skirt) near the top. Once you've done it you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner."

Says it all...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")