Utilikilts brings back "The Standard"!

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Utilikilts brings back "The Standard"!

Post by Zorba »

Just finished reading the latest Utilikilts newsletter - they are FINALLY bringing back a version of their very first, original design - the "Standard". This is good news for those, like myself, who just don't like the more recent "Neo Trad". The new "Standard", like the old, is a step in skirt with pleats all around. Not sure if it has a zipper fly like the old one (don't care, personally), but it comes with a small "cod piece" that is - fortunately - removable. Aprons are available at extra cost - I woudn't want either, that's why I detest the Neo Trad! Its also a bit cheaper, at $150, than most of their offerings.

Will I buy one? Perhaps. Color choice is abysmal at the moment, and it *is* awfully expensive - plain denim skirts are 1/5 the price - but it'd be cool to wear a UTK again. I was one of their VERY first customers back in the day...

-Zorba
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Utilikilts brings back "The Standard"!

Post by Kilted_John »

IIRC, the new Standard was introduced about a year ago... I probably will get one once I've lost some weight. It probably won't replace the regular skirts I wear daily, since those can be washed and dried, whereas, a Utilikilt can be washed, but must be hung to dry...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Zorba :D

I like the Utilikilt design and have two of their kilts.
On my retirement income, I can get 2 standard SWK's
for $10.00 more than the cost of 1 Utilikilt.
I will not be getting any more Utilikilts due the price-point. :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I like the Utilikilt design and have two of their kilts.
On my retirement income, I can get 2 standard SWK's
for $10.00 more than the cost of 1 Utilikilt.
I will not be getting any more Utilikilts due the price-point. :(
Understandable, I like their clearance pricing of 50% discount. $100 for a Moker is tempting. My NO1 UT Kilt is nonetheless the tuxedo. Its price tag is a bit insane but it is to dress to impress. :P
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

UK found a new name for the "New Standard" : The Spartan.
Compared to the standard UK's it looks a bit odd:
Spartan_Front.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Zorba wrote: I was one of their VERY first customers back in the day...-Zorba
As was I. My first UK was purchased in December of '99, the "Standard". I still have it -- though it is seriously worn and patched -- as well as another one in black denim that I got off Ebay a couple of years ago. In my opinion it was their best design by far with the Spartan (the old nylon one) a close second. I really like the Spartan and wear it a lot in the summer or when we take the boat out. I have had several neo traditional UK's, a Painters, and a Denim and I resold all of them. Far too stiff and uncomfortable. UK seemed to change designs from great to good to fair to hideous, which is what the New Standard is. That, the cast iron feeling fabric, and the ridiculously high price make UK's a bottom of the market choice for me.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.