Kilt This

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt This

Post by Caultron »

Has anybody bought a kilt from Kilt This?

I'm looking at this one
but what do they mean by:
  • The apron acts as a sporran while the rest of the kilt is free
Like, are there three layers of fabric in front, two overlapping camo layers plus the solid-color apron? Or what?

Also, can you wear your own belt with this, or do you have to use the built-in one?

Any other comments about this supplier?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt This

Post by r.m.anderson »

Probally nd to go to ther website and email for clear concise answr:

"The apron acts as a sporran while the rest of the kilt is free" !?!

Something lost in the translation here although it is in english unlike
some asian imports that even IKEA would not go there !
All the words are there but in a random mixed order leaving one scratching
more than one's head !

A sporran is worn over the outer apron of a kilt.
Another (3rd layer) apron does not make a sporran - unless that apron
has internal/external pockets of sorts to serve the function of an sporran.

As for the belt issue - no picture is shown to answer that question but I
think just maybe the inner (2) apron surfaces are velcroed to get the 5-7 inch
variable waist measurement without affecting the outer imaginary (apron) sporran
which appears to be fastened with straps from both sides and independent of the
internal aprons fastened snuggly about the waist - high or low off hips as mentioned.
Are you getting the fuzzy picture developing here ?

They hav som -esplaning to do or maybe I am infringing on some new fangled
pattened interior design !
There is some sort of strange business going on under them der aprons ! LOL !

"Skirt-Kilt-ON"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:Probally nd to go to ther website and emapil for clear concise answr:
I tried that and didn't get an answer. That's why I'm hoping to find an owner who can exlain it.
r.m.anderson wrote:"The apron acts as a sporran while the rest of the kilt is free" !?!

Something lost in the translation here although it is in english...
Exactly, hence my question.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Go to their website and build your own, options a plenty. I am acquainted with the 2 ladies that run, design, manufacture, and sell these kilts, they are of the utmost quality. Although I have not been able to have the cash flow to purchas one of these I have seen them. Removable pockets, removable/ interchangeable front apron( apron has storage space also(like a sporran). The one I saw up close was a passing hurry and I did not ask about how it went about under the removable apron so alas I do not know.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

MoonDrake wrote:Go to their website and build your own, options a plenty. I am acquainted with the 2 ladies that run, design, manufacture, and sell these kilts, they are of the utmost quality. Although I have not been able to have the cash flow to purchas one of these I have seen them. Removable pockets, removable/ interchangeable front apron( apron has storage space also(like a sporran). The one I saw up close was a passing hurry and I did not ask about how it went about under the removable apron so alas I do not know.
Thanks for this info.

Serena Laws, one of the two founders, did eventaully reply to my questions, but her answers were unsatisfying. In particular, I asked:
  • • The apron seems to be unfastened at both sides, which I guess it would have to be in order to be removable and interchangeable. But it also seems this would also make it likely to blow open. So how does that work? For example, is there a full width of cloth behind the apron? A photo of a kilt without the apron would help.
    • Is there a photo of the back somewhere?
and she replied:
  • These I will answer together. I cannot give away too many design details. I apologize if that may be irritating, but at the sametime, I have many designers (worldwide) trying to dig for details on my designs because no one else makes this type of kilt. I would like it to stay that way for the time being. So, I do not release pictures of the back of the kilts anymore. I am currently taking down all pictures of my kilts that show more than one or two angles because in the last year I have had 3 companies try to copy my design (Pakistan). Kilt making is a crippled by this sort of thing and I was warned by kilt makers in the beginning to be careful releasing photos. Companies try, but they cannot sell them as cheap as I do and they still don't understand how it works. In the fashion industry, my kilts are worth $500-$600. $300 in labor alone. I found this out when I tried to hire manufacturers to make them. I would get charged $300 just to have the made. Which is why I make them myself. Sorry to ramble, but I want to make it clear why I won't provide pictures of the back of the design and why I won't provide details on how the design works. I will provide pictures of customers wearing the designs so you can see, they have no problem with any of the questions you asked. The two gentleman in the first two photos own several kilts each. The third photo is our spokesman in Australia, Cam MacAzie aka The Badpiper from Australia's got talent. The third photo is of my son who wore his in Central Park to go rock climbing.

I don't do a lot of advertising so I rely on a great product, good customer service and repeat customers. Many of my customers are on their fifth or six kilt. My best client owns 20. We also gaurantee our work, so if you are not happy with the fit, we'll adjust it for free. If something breaks or there's a flaw in the craftmanship, we'll repair or replace it. We offer it, but we rarely ever have to fix a kilt unless the buyer gave us the wrong measurements.

I hope that might explain without giving away too many details about how people like to wear the kilts. We appreciate your questions and hope you can get the feel for what we do through the photos. I'm sure sooner or later, you'll see one somewhere up close. They're spreading across all continents.
Now, I can understand their concern about foreign knockoffs driving them out of business. But before I lay out $250 or more for a mail-order kilt, I want my questions answered. And I don't see how they can sell it, ""across all continents," and yet keep their design secret. I mean, if some knock-off manufacturer wants to see one, they can just order one as an individual (withholding the company name) or maybe find a used one on eBay or Craig's List. If Ford wants to see how Chevys or Toyotas are built, they can just buy one.

I really liked the look of the apron and pickets being khaki or olive and the body being camo, but without understanding what I'm buying, I just can't see risking $250. Because I don't know about the rest of you guys but I, for example, wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in a kilt held up (and together) only by velcro (if that's indeed the case, which they refuse to clarify.)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/105728043/u ... ome_active

So I resolved the issue for now by buying a camouflage foreign knock-off from UT Kilts for $65. It's camo all over, not two-toned, but at least I know what I'm getting. And instead of 4-6 week delivery, the kilt shiped two hours after I placed the order.

I wish this could get clarified somehow because I still like the two-tone styling.

caultron
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

There either Velcro with metal snaps or plastic locking clasps, three one each side. Like I said I don't know however I wonder if its solid like a skirt behind the apron. And I agree if I wanted to make their kilts all I would have to do is buy one take pictures and get out the seam ripper.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"