Just dropped in to say

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Just dropped in to say

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Hi everyone! I just wanted to drop in to say I feel I should apologize for not being here as often as I used to. This is still one of my favorite forums, it's just that there are so many good things on the internet, besides good things in the (real?) world that I just don't spend time here like I used to though I'd like to. Part of it is that I gained one thing I really needed from this site, and that is, confidence to wear skirts/kilts (mainly kilts now) in public. When I get home I usually switch to a skirt, partly for variety, and partly, I don't want to spill any food or otherwise smear or stain an expensive kilt. The skirts I can buy for $2.99 or so from a thrift shop, not so the kilts. Also I figure the pleats will stay sharper a tad longer if I change when I get home. I used to wear skirts also a lot in public but I called a pastor friend of mine and asked him (dumb question, right?) if it was OK for men to wear skirts in public, and he said if I was going to do that, I should wear a kilt, that way people wouldn't think twice about it (at least most people lol). So anyway now I pretty much stick to kilts for public wearing. I'm still hoping men's SKIRTS will catch on. I've had a lot of compliments from men and women on my kilts and even some men interested in wearing one themselves, if they can be interested in wearing a kilt, I don't see why not a skirt (I'm thinking of maybe a black knee length pleated skirt of a fairly masculine material...).
And then the other thing is I spend so much time on some of the other forums that I'm almost addicted to...chess.com (where I play against Mr. Kirbstone), unexplained-mysteries.com, and even facebook where I play a lot of Gardens of Time, Blackwood and Bell, and wartune.
I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me gain confidence to wear a kilt in public, and I do mean EACH AND EVERY ONE (no exceptions lol). I pretty much wear a kilt everywhere except to church Sunday morning and when I go see a movie with my friend he usually insists I wear pants because even though sometimes his sister comes with us, she usually sits in a different part of the theater, so I can see his point of view. The rest of the time it's pretty much kilt city, and that's fine by me.
So again, thanks and best wishes to all and I hope to drop in from time to time to pester or be pestered lol.
Peace, Gummug
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Just dropped in to say

Post by RichardA »

HI & :welcome:
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Good to hear from you again Gary and to learn that you are still happily kilted / skirted.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....and you just beat me at chess again, you old rogue!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks again. Well, if it's any comfort, Cassie has been whomping my BLEEP pretty regularly.We have been playing on redhotpawn.com but I'm trying to get her to come to chess.com. She won the first two games and I think she's gonna win this one too, she's up a knight. Would you like to play again? Tbh, I think I just got lucky...you did the same thing I do sometimes, imho, you were so intent on your attack you let your defense down for a bit (didn't see my sneaky bishop lol).
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That all makes sense, except the bit about asking the pastor. If you want to know about religion, then fine, ask him. Or maybe if it's a question about morality, ask him. But clothing - why should he know more than anybody else about it? A bit below his pay grade, don't you think?

What would Jesus do? Well, you never see a picture of him wearing trousers! :wink:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Gary :!:

Great to read you again :!:

Wishing you the best for the forthcoming holiday season :!:
(Don't gobble to much on Thanksgiving ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

skirtyscot wrote:That all makes sense, except the bit about asking the pastor. If you want to know about religion, then fine, ask him. Or maybe if it's a question about morality, ask him. But clothing - why should he know more than anybody else about it? A bit below his pay grade, don't you think?

What would Jesus do? Well, you never see a picture of him wearing trousers! :wink:
This is all true and tbh I really prefer skirts to kilts (that is some of them, some skirts I sure would not wear), well, maybe I'm wrong, but since I happen to be friends with the pastor's dad I feel he should have a say in it. I dunno I think if Jesus were to walk the earth today he'd wear pants just to avoid offense or something, but I think even he would prefer a nice robe! Seriously though, I sure don't wanna start an argument... I guess I tend to bend over backwards trying not to offend people and even I myself feel a little more concern what people think when I'm wearing a skirt vs a kilt. (Although I keep thinking to myself, 'hurry up men's clothing manufacturer's and make good men's skirts and hurry up men and start wearing them...find out how comfortable they are!') Anyway, thanks for the post. :)
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Uncle Al wrote:Hi Gary :!:

Great to read you again :!:

Wishing you the best for the forthcoming holiday season :!:
(Don't gobble to much on Thanksgiving ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Thanks Uncle Al. Well, I probably won't gobble too much turkey, although today I did eat quite a bit of dressing. I actually think I like dressing (corn bread dressing anyway) better than turkey. Isn't that weird? Wish you the best too! Thoughts of beer and/or ale and hot turkey and moist dressing sent your way. Does it get any better than that? (Well, maybe pizza..lol)
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

The best way to differentiate from women’s’ clothing, would to my best opinion – based upon your pastor friend’s interpretation of the Bible – be wearing skirts.

The sinners must be the women who about sixty years ago started wearing clothes that resembled men’s. Considering that women are hardly ready to give up trousers, and due to the fact that skirts are rather seldom seen on women, the best way to bring us in better accordance with the Bible would be wearing skirts.

A minor thing: When the words were written down trousers weren’t invented yet. Men and women were not wearing the same clothes, but they were all skirted.

As I interpret the Bible it is more a question of being satisfied with your own gender (the way you were born) and to act accordingly in every respect. As we all know, this is not possible for everyone.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

GerdG wrote:The best way to differentiate from women’s’ clothing, would to my best opinion – based upon your pastor friend’s interpretation of the Bible – be wearing skirts.

The sinners must be the women who about sixty years ago started wearing clothes that resembled men’s. Considering that women are hardly ready to give up trousers, and due to the fact that skirts are rather seldom seen on women, the best way to bring us in better accordance with the Bible would be wearing skirts.

A minor thing: When the words were written down trousers weren’t invented yet. Men and women were not wearing the same clothes, but they were all skirted.

As I interpret the Bible it is more a question of being satisfied with your own gender (the way you were born) and to act accordingly in every respect. As we all know, this is not possible for everyone.
Excellent post, Gerd. I even admit that most of the time women seem to wear pants almost more than skirts even to church (the rest of the time I think it's a given, pants and shorts anyway). I had thought about wearing a kilt to church but I haven't, at least not Sunday morning. I pretty much wear a kilt all the time to choir practice though. Right now at home I'm wearing a black pleated skirt which is almost exactly like a kilt except it's not a wrap, doesn't have the side buckles, and is pleated in front. Also it's not tartan, or plaid. If it were, I think a casual observer might mistake it for a kilt. I've thought about wearing it in pubic but I have a solid black kilt on order from Heritage of Scotland. Well, thanks again for your post, and good point! As a little aside, before I kinda started restricting myself to kilts in public, I was wearing a mid-calf length pleated, plaid wool skirt in a coffee house, and a friend of mine came to my booth to sit down and chat, and he said "oh, you're wearing your kilt!". Needless to say, I didn't correct him. :p
Wouldn't it be nice if there were a real skirtcafe, I mean a physical one in the real world, where we could all get together and drink coffee or booze and chat? The only problem is, we're from so many different places on the globe, it would be hard to reach for some of us I imagine. But if we all lived in the same city, or something...sorry, just thinking aloud more or less. Again, thanks to all who posted and best wishes to all.
Just a quick edit to add, you're right about the last part, sadly, it's not possible for everyone to be satisfied with his/her own gender (whatever gender is anyway). I do believe that, and even though the more I learn the less I know, I'm inclined to think that Jenna Talackova made the right choice (about her operation). What bothers me is that so many Christians, if in fact some of them are, seem to think if you do that you'll go to hell. Well, imo according to that logic, people who have had surgery on their mouths to correct a hare lip will go to hell too. Whatever happened to "judge not lest ye be judged"? Anyway, I don't like people who seem to know God's mind better than God himself. Sorry, I have a bad habit of thinking aloud, it's bound to get me into trouble sooner or later. (Shut up Gummug)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Mugs-n-such wrote:Whatever happened to "judge not lest ye be judged"?
Good question!
Mugs-n-such wrote:Anyway, I don't like people who seem to know God's mind better than God himself.
Me neither. Fortunately (for me) most of them seem to be in the USA or Moslem countries
Mugs-n-such wrote:Sorry, I have a bad habit of thinking aloud, it's bound to get me into trouble sooner or later.
Go on, speak up! It makes for entertaining exchanges.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks for your reply skirtyscot I especially like the reply to the 3rd quote. :) I guess that's what forums are all about, interesting exchanges. Well, I can't think of much to talk about today, it seems a little overcast and a little windy, but not so cold yet. I'm sure thankful I live too far west to have gotten hit by Sandy!