Getting the message out

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Getting the message out

Post by Grok »

Scroll down to athletic bloomers (unskirted). Sports were the first setting in which it was socially acceptable for women to wear a form of trousers. With the exception of kilting, perhaps will see a sort of mirror image of this for men? With skirt like garments being designed as athletic ware? (One other niche application-sarongs for the beach?)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I have tried to imagine ways to coax the average male out of his trousers. For the general population, I expect change to be incremental, over a long period of time.
I rather suspect that the only way to do that will be to present cogent, attractive, and practical looks to the public at large -- and that means getting out there so attired!

Really, without the example of the "early adopter" (as you mention) nobody will ever think of it. The "pioneers" (Hi Dick!) blazed the path for the early adopters, and once those get out and about it might -- just maybe -- catch on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

BTW, I have noticed the resemblance between skorts and the skirted version of Bloomers. Somewhat ironic, as bloomers seem so quaint.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Found an aricle (http://www.thegirlinside.com/tg/men-in- ... revisited/) that is relevant to the general topic of men in unbifurcated garments. Regarding the stultifying effects of tradition.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

An interesting little article, well written.

But tradition is not immutable -- look at all those Indian men giving up traditional skirts (or whatever they may call them) in favour of "modern" but quite foreign trousers. Or look at all those Muslim men going through agony genuflecting in tight trousers, having given up the ample tradition garb worn when the prayer ritual was invented.

Some things are stronger than tradition. Some of us here have proved that.

Martin