Kilts by the hectare

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilts by the hectare

Post by Mugs-n-such »

JohnH wrote:
True, the shape does not matter. However, I used to wonder why if you took the square root of 43,560 sq ft. that's in an acre to get the measurement of a side of a square containing the area of an acre, you don't get an integer. Instead, the measurement calculates on a calculator to 208.710325571 feet.

I really opened up can of worms when I started discussing the concept of the acre.

John
Yes, you did! :D. As to why it's not an integer, I haven't the foggiest, I'm inclined to think that just the logic of English/American measures. Like, there are 12 inches to a foot, why? maybe more people had 12 fingers or toes in those days instead of 10.
Thanks crfriend about the info about circular fields...very interesting.
Back to kilts, I now have two and am itching to get a third, maybe a black "fun party" kilt from Edinburghkiltco.com, but first I think I ought to get a kilt pin or two and probably some kilt stockings (or as someone in another thread did, find some ladies' hose that would suitably deceive people into THINKING they were kilt hose, 'cuz I'm assuming that would be cheaper [the Scot in me coming out?] ...:D)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I would be inclined to use ladies hose since I really don't care for the bare knee look.

John
chrisinkilt

Post by chrisinkilt »

A good place to get suitable female socks that would reasonably pass for kilt hose, is sockdreams.com.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

chrisinkilt wrote:A good place to get suitable female socks that would reasonably pass for kilt hose, is sockdreams.com.
Thanks, Chris, I think I'll look there now. :)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

sigh... someone, somewhere, probably had different measurements back in the Viking days too, BUT, we are not using those red oxen pulled scythes to make rows today because someone since those days invented gasoline and diesel fuel to power much bigger "turn on a dime" machines, it really doesn't matter what shape "used to be the norm or how many shapes now fit into "acredom" in today's world. Really now, what difference could measurements of a thousand years ago possibly matter?? :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:Really now, what difference could measurements of a thousand years ago possibly matter?? :faint:
Whether we want to admit it or not, history has a direct bearing on many -- if not all -- things we do and experience in our daily lives. Understanding why things are the way they are is one path to enlightenment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Ok, now if we could only convince the "non-skirt wearing men of today" (that's about 15% of the entire male population of the Planet Earth of today, let's face the fact that all the men of the UK, the North AND South American continents only make up about 10% of the men of the planet.

I think we could put all the men, even the skirt wearing ones of those places IN the continent of Africa and India with room left over. Counting all the skirted garment wearing men of all the Pacific Islands, All indigineous(sp?) "Indian" tribes in Asia,North and South America, the Artic, the Antarctic and all the Maori of the 3 bodies of land including Australia, New Zealand and The Phillipines.

I'd say at least 70% of all men of the planet wear skirted garments at least 75% of the time. We (skirt wearing men) are winning it back, too slowly for me to see global victory,(I'm 70) but I believe it will come. :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm a member of our County Archaeological Soc. and in the last dozen years they have at last built a network of new intercity motorways criss-crossing the entire country.....a bit like the U.S. Interstates.
We have had two fascinating presentations of the pre-build 'digs' that went on all along those routes and each affected County now has a new museum built entirely to house and display the artefacts found.
Further digs are planned to fully unearth those structures, only part of which were in the designated path of the motorway excavations, but which extend onto neighbouring farmland, and there are many.
Most of these settlements date back thousands of years and what measurements they actually used weren't anything we use now, for sure, but we have learned a lot very recently about our forebears through these digs....and yes, they all wore tunic-like garments, but with thick leg bindings against the cold for much of the year.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This pic. appeared on the front page of the Irish Times the other day. Nice turn out.

T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

There's a co-incidence. I'm doing some stuff for the Irish Times tomorrow.
the_scott_meister

Post by the_scott_meister »

I heard that James Burke is doing an entirely new "Connections" episode based on this thread alone.