Sock it to me

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sock it to me

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirbstone wrote:I only have experience of church organs and the pedals are NOT varnished. Real organists use thin slippery leather-soled shoes, so they can easily articulate heel & toe up and down the Diapason bass scale (impressive!). Me, when I'm playing I just do the keyboard manual thing and search around for a matching foot pedal note to plonk my size 11 on to augment particular chords.
I suppose it's easy enough initially to get it wrong with a kilt, but most of them have this through eye next to the external buckle which presupposes that the wrap is the 'right' way round.
Lame excuse, Gary....mislaid your camera! You certainly don't 'mislay' your grey matter when it comes to moving chess pieces!

I have 'Casablanca' in my DVD collection and never tire of that film. For me the best bit is the piano accompaniment to the famous song 'as Time goes by', and A/ Casablanca is a seaside town, B/ Casablanca means white house, and the central feature of all Arab walled gardens is a water feature and pool, so, desert or no, taking to the waters was indeed possible there. Rick's off the cuff remark was a line given Bogart by the scriptwriter.

Rant over!

T.
I am sure my Mum used to take Diapason for headaches! :lol:
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

You're right Kirbstone there was an eyehole there, I should have figured it out, I was just stymied I think by the false assumption that the fringe was an unfinished edge and should therefore go on the inside, until I realized from watching "how to put on a kilt" that it is supposed to go on the outside, I guess it is considered a decoration.
Touche, I could probably find my digital camera if I just expend the energy to look for it. I need to get over my laziness!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not that I am an expert on church organs, but there are stops that alter the voice of the notes the pedals play....Diapason 4ft, 8ft and 16ft. 4ft is fine for hymns, 8ft for impressive anthems and 16ft is the one that shakes the whole building...for Wedding marches & the like.
Diazepam is sometimes called Vallium and is used for sedation and misused widely in the general populace as a tranquiliser....prescribed by medics far too much, so there are millions of patients out there who are tolerant to it.

When presented with any problem I'm always on the lookout for a loophole, and that includes figuring out how to put a kilt on. Recommended for dunces, though, is the Sportkilt...No loophole, just Velcro!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Not that I am an expert on church organs, but there are stops that alter the voice of the notes the pedals play....Diapason 4ft, 8ft and 16ft. 4ft is fine for hymns, 8ft for impressive anthems and 16ft is the one that shakes the whole building...for Wedding marches & the like.
For me, it's 64ft or bust. :twisted: At the depths that those pipes can go you don't quite so much hear it as feel it. There has been electronic play with 128ft registers and those seem to alter the sound of the other audible notes, but I really don't see the point. Actually, 32 is "good enough". (On the recording I have of a "monster" in New Jersey, one can see the speaker cones move when the 64' rank is in play. My amp isn't quite DC-coupled, but close.)

Of course there are stops for them, and the stops actually work just like they do for the "wee pipes" -- just larger. Some of the "monster organs" are truly remarkable, not just for their complexity, but also their musicality. Sometimes size does count.
Diazepam is sometimes called Vallium and is used for sedation and misused widely in the general populace as a tranquiliser....prescribed by medics far too much, so there are millions of patients out there who are tolerant to it.
Don't get me started on that one... Just don't.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Big diapason numbers are the province of cathedral organs. The thing I occasionally play is a tiddler by comparison & so is the church. Horses for courses!

An elderly aunt had a 10ft. Steinway in her old house and decided to build a cottage in her garden after she was widowed, move into it and sell off the big house. She couldn't part with the piano and had it shorehorned into her new small living room.
We visited her and she inevitably asked me to play her 'a few tunes' on the instrument, which was the sort you see in concert halls. My word! how loud the thing sounded! I confined myself to a bit of soft Schumann (Traumerei), Chopin (Nocturne in F sharp) & Elgar(Salut D'Amour), finishing up with a bit of old Hoagy Carmichael (Stardust). It was a lesson in how to play softly. My own old Bechstein is at one end of a 30ft. room, so it sounds OK there.
She's long gone now, and I don't know what became of the piano. Her only offspring predeceased her through Cancer. Very sad.

We're a long way from socks!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !