Washing your kilt.

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Washing your kilt.

Post by Kirbstone »

On Rockmode.de I came across a little U-tube film about this which I downloaded, but is apparently too big to submit with a post.
I got the URL for it and I hope it works, so here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qol3nPqOHPI

I thought now with the arrival of warmer weather the lot of you would opt for this method.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Washing your kilt.

Post by RichardA »

My kilt cost £350 I don't think I'll be doing that
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

After this type of washing - what do you do "Drip Dry It" ?
I mean the kilt not the man wearing it !

And what was this guy doing taking his man/waist bag/sporran in for the swim ?

Further comments restricted "X%#@*&()"

"Certainly-Not-My-Preferred-Way-To-Wash-A-Kilt"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It seems the German sense of humour doesn't particularly appeal to us English speaking prudes.

Perhaps the guy had some money in that bag/sporran that needed laundering too.

T.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

If you click on Mojado49 below the video you will see more of his genderbending uploads.

I bet the guy put some detergent in his sporran. :lol:

Jan.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I can't imagine taking a garment that costs several hundred dollars for a swim! I would dry clean the kilt if it was soiled.

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I looked at Mojado 49 and won't bother again. Not for me, that sort of thing. Dry cleaning is the ticket, of course. The river that bloke immersed his kilt into wasn't exactly clean either. I wouldn't choose to swim there myself.

T.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

RichardA wrote:My kilt cost £350 I don't think I'll be doing that
Mine too cost around the £300 mark so I will not be doing that. And not in such muddy water either.

I am sure I heard or read somewhere that kilts worn in the 1st World war got so heavy with mud that they were a real hindrance when running or going "over the top" because of the caked mud weighing them down. Anyone else heard that?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

On the European Kiltforum a year or two ago, the general consensus seemed to be that careful, gentle washing (plus careful firm pressing) was the best treatment for a kilt. Most sheep spend their lives outdoors, rain or shine, and their wool has a certain amount of natural protective oil. This is lost by cleaning with chemical solvents, and the cloth will never again have the same supple texture.
It's important to avoid to much rubbing and squeezing, and above all avoid detergents with enzymes that could attack the wool.

Most of my kilts have been handwashed -- and no regrets. But that does not mean I'd go swimming wearing any of them!

Martin
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Good point about the oils in the wool.

Kilts are expensive to make, heavy, and appear to be difficult to clean. But making a dress - you can cut the cloth out and sew it together in an afternoon. And if you select a polyester cloth you can wash it in the washing machine and dry it in the dryer after you have pried up some fence post stumps with a 1.8 m (6 foot) steel bar while wearing the dress and hacking off the narrow-minded neighbor.

I can't imagine wearing a kilt costing several hundred dollars while doing that heavy outdoor work with 35 deg C (95 deg F) heat.

John
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Kirb...funny u-tube...specially at the part where he noticed he forgot to take off his sporran before wetting everything inside it. LOLOLOL :faint:
I can't imagine wearing a kilt costing several hundred dollars while doing that heavy outdoor work with 35 deg C (95 deg F) heat.
I can think of something worse...think 500 kilted men with broadswords and huge shields whanging away at 500 other men similarly attired. Far worse...:faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Back then people were not so "nice" about cleanliness and hygiene. Also I've heard in Scotland if the temperature approaches 21 deg C (70 deg F) it's regarded as "tropical"

Yes, Skip, I do like to argue. We both do! :D

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

JohnH wrote:I've heard in Scotland if the temperature approaches 21 deg C (70 deg F) it's regarded as "tropical"
Tropical? No, we don't delude ourselves as much as that. But we do call it hot. You see people out and about in their summer clothes any time the temperatue goes above about 15C / 60F.

I remember reading a few years ago that a new all-time high temperature had been recorded in Shetland (islands some way off the north coast). 24C / 75F. Fortunately it's bit warmer in the central belt where most of us live, but not much!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

skirtyscot wrote:
JohnH wrote:I've heard in Scotland if the temperature approaches 21 deg C (70 deg F) it's regarded as "tropical"
Tropical? No, we don't delude ourselves as much as that. But we do call it hot. You see people out and about in their summer clothes any time the temperatue goes above about 15C / 60F.

I remember reading a few years ago that a new all-time high temperature had been recorded in Shetland (islands some way off the north coast). 24C / 75F. Fortunately it's bit warmer in the central belt where most of us live, but not much!
Here in Dallas, Texas, USA there are summers where the highs are over 38 deg C / 100 deg F for weeks on end.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

JohnH wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:

Here in Dallas, Texas, USA there are summers where the highs are over 38 deg C / 100 deg F for weeks on end.

With weather like that just after washing the kilt go out and roll on some black-top (asphalt) pavement to steam iron those pleats to a sharp edge
and get the sauna treatment for free.
There is "Hot"; then there is "Damn Hot" and then "Hell this is ridiculous" !

"Only-The-Devil-Would-Care"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !