NATIONAL TARTAN DAY Friday April 6 2012

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

NATIONAL TARTAN DAY Friday April 6 2012

Post by r.m.anderson »

F Y I - - -

Friday April 06 2011 unless you are across the date line is "NATIONAL TARTAN DAY" in the USA.
You don't have to be Scottish; Irish; a member of a clan or fraternity or even a resident of the USA to
celebrate this not so promoted 'Holiday' of sorts.
Think of it as an extension of St. Pat's day only you don't have to wear the obligatory 'Green' or even
be green with envy.
Just get out and about and have a good time !

"Kilted-for-the-Event"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
chrisinkilt

Re: NATIONAL TARTAN DAY Friday April 6 2012

Post by chrisinkilt »

The wife has complained about the kilt, so I've put it away, but come Friday I shall bring it out and wear it as much as possible. It is bad timing, being the Friday before Easter though.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

But isn't this supposed to be "Good Friday" ?

"Get-Kilted"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

r.m.anderson wrote:But isn't this supposed to be "Good Friday" ?
It sure is... The anniversary of a crucifixion; do you fancy joining the list of folks crucified that day? :shock:

Have fun (but don't over do it),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
chrisinkilt

Post by chrisinkilt »

Good Friday will be filled with work and home and then off to church for an evening service. Tough to get a kilt in that line up, although I did think about the wearing it at work. I'd have to bring pants just in case, as I do need to proctor an exam on Friday.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

We are headed to the Rider's Inn, an 18th century stagecoach inn, this afternoon for an overnight. The Inn is about a 2.5 hour drive and is located near family. I will be wearing one my my kilts, perhaps my homemade "Ancient Hunting Miller". There is no such tartan, but I found a fabric I liked at JoAnn's and made one using the Sportkilt pattern. It turned out very nice and with it's dark browns, blacks and thin red lines, makes a reasonable looking "ancient hunting" kilt.

WRT Good Friday, there isn't much I can do, it happened a long time ago and if it came down the way it was written, then it was a bad deal for everyone involved. Had I been there, perhaps I could have done something about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

With usual timing I have recently had confirmed that I have some Scottish ancestry and am distantly relted to the Watson clan, who have their own Tartan.
Will have to hunt down some money to get Tartan kilt. :)
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

No need to hunt down distant relations to wear a tartan kilt.

If you believe that heredity is important, then you'll be esstricted to one or two tartans, which may or may not be to your taste. Otherwise you can pick and choose from all the thousands of tartans available those that you really like. Apart from a few Scottish sticklers who bring their own kilt out once a year (if they have one), who will care?

For years, I wore only a Gordon, and felt like a change, but looking at family connections, I came up with only deadly dull or ghastly gaudy tartans, so I decided to throw tradition to the winds and buy the colours I liked best, which means I can now choose to wear the kilts most suited to my mood, the event, or the weather; sober or bright, grey, brown, green red, blue, purple ... or plain.

Martin
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

lol, was mildly joking.
I do want another kilt, but as mentioned before it will be Khaki rather than tartan.