St Patricks Day

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
chrisinkilt

St Patricks Day

Post by chrisinkilt »

Anybody going to be a bit braver on St Patrick's Day? The Irish wore kilts too, although they were generally plain in color, like my khaki Utilikilt.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: St Patricks Day

Post by couyalair »

Braver than what?

Martin
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

My kilts have been stored away for the winter. (needlessly, as it turns out) I always get them out for St. Patricks Day. I'll be in and out of ouf local bar. Bowls of stew, specials on Guiness and Jamison, Pipers and assorted live music all day.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: St Patrick's Day

Post by Kilted_John »

What Martin said. Don't need St. Pat's day to wear a kilt. I probably won't be in one, since I need to do car repair work that day.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
chrisinkilt

Post by chrisinkilt »

"Bit Braver" was referring to being seen with a kilt. I took my daughter around the area, as she danced Irish Step 4 times yesterday in several schools. I had my kilt on in the morning and as she was getting ready, I said, "I'm ready!" She was aghast. She didn't think her friends could handle it. So I wore jeans. It was probably better, since I also took the middle two girls to watch.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I'm afraid I regard Saint Patrick's Day as just another "Hallmark Holiday" hyped to nth degree by the Irish Tourist Board. I celebrate by completely ignoring it.

Having said that, I shall wear a kilt, a skirt or trousers depending entirely on a combination of how I feel, what I'm doing and the weather. Same as always.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The good thing about it from my point of view is the Bank Holiday attached....this year on the Monday 19th, so it's referred to here as 'Paddy's Weekend'. Every town has its bunfight, parade or whatever, all of which I avoid like the Plague. Furthermore I won't be visiting any pubs either. Any drinking I'll do will be quietly at home.

We Irish do however have some unfinished business to attend to at Twickenham, so the intention is to give the Sasannachs a St Patrick's Day trouncing there.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Where I am, I'm not allowed to call it St. Paddy's or anything relating to it in words other than Patrick as it is racist. . . . :shock: There are quite a few settled travellers around here & they take umbrage at that sort of slur - even though they say it!
It's regarded as similar to calling Pakistanis by the shortened version of the same.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My MM. (Menagerie Mistress) hails from Surbiton, went to the Lady Elanor Hollis school, staunchly C of E and in the 44 years we've been together I don't recall her ever uttering the word 'Paddy' in all that time!
I assume 99% of those 'settled travellers' are Irish. Not to be tampered with, I should think.

Tom K.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It's here.....came in the middle of the night!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, People.

By the way....Botanically there is no such species as 'Shamrock'. It's just young clover. Sorry to disappoint adherants.
Shamrock.jpg
Tom K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Kirbstone wrote:It's here.....came in the middle of the night!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, People.

By the way....Botanically there is no such species as 'Shamrock'. It's just young clover. Sorry to disappoint adherants.

Tom K
Nice pic, Tom!