Kilt allergy?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt allergy?

Post by skirtingtoday »

I have a kilt (traditional 8-yard woollen tartan) which I bought some 7 years ago and always get positive comments from men and women whilst wearing. Got a broad buckle belt as well as the usual sporran, flashes and ghillie shirt

However, whenever I remove the kilt, I seem to feel the need to scratch around the waist - possibly around where the belt which is just a little on the tight side. There are slight red marks but that may be due to the stratching.

Does anyone else have this problem or do I have a wool allergy? I have nothing else woollen in the house being mainly cotton/lycra or other synthetic fabric mixes. Or might it just be the tight belt?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt allergy?

Post by couyalair »

I always have a singlet and shirt tucked into my woolen kilts, and have ever had any irritation. I like to wear the belt quite tight to keep it all in place. With any vigorous exercise, natural dampness tends to get trapped at waist level, but that's no great problem. I usually notice it only when I take the kilt off. I don't put it back on the hanger immediately and the wool dries out quite quickly in the air.

If you had an allergy, Skirting, it would be your thighs that get red, or your legs and feet if you wear woolen hose.

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I normally wear a ghillies or an ordinary shirt which is tucked inside the kilt - so that was the reason for the question.

No rashes on thighs though.

I do wear woollen hose as well with the flashes but the only slight itching is just below the flashes themselves. Tried loosening them but it seems to make little difference.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Could be a variety of things. A dermatologist could help. It might not be from wool, but from pressure, sweat, and residual from laundry soap.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I am slightly allergic to wool. I need long sleeved tshirts or shirts under jumpers, while my tartan kilt is fine but the tweed kilt definitely needs a slip (mens one from activskin) or sheer hosiery. If not it's red thigh time.