Men in kilts are HOT!!!

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Re: Men in kilts are HOT!!!

Post by Tassierob »

My experience wearing kilts has been interesting. There are 2 distinct types of compliment I get from women and the occasional man.
1. Very straight foward. Oh I just love the kilt it looks fantastic.
Then there is
2. Wow, fantastic skirt where do you get them.

I now have 2 very simple rules. If someone calls it a skirt I never correct them and I never get offended in any way. I just give a big thank you which usually leads to longer conversation with people I have never met before. I am convinced that a huge number of people have no idea what the difference between a kilt and a skirt is if there is really any difference at all :shock:

You can't say a kilt is only for men any more as women have a kilted skirt for their wardrobe which has very little difference to the male garment. So to me a kilt is just a different cut of skirt out of the hundreds of different cuts out there. Yes it was designed originally for men but so were many other skirts from different cultures that women to now wear with pride. The big difference to me is how it looks on a man and how he wears it. So wear what ever you are comfortable with and be proud to call it a skirt.
That is the way I believe we will get acceptance long term and be able to wear whatever style of skirt we like, kilt like or not.
Cheers
Rob
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

To me a kilt is the highly expensive garment made of 8 yards of wool with numerous pleats.
Suppliers of fashion kilts like Utilikilts, Amerikilt, Sportkilt and so on name their products kilts to improve sales figures.
They think that a Utiliskirt, Ameriskirt, Sportskirt and so on would attract less customers. I guess that's a justified thought.
These fashion kilts have a limited number of (box)pleats which to us makes the difference between real and "fake" quite obvious.
To the public however it makes no difference as only few people can distinguish a real kilt from a pleated skirt.

Believe it or not but here in Holland some people think I am a Scot when they see me wearing my non-pleated jeans skirt. :lol:
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Milfmog wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:I don't follow how that helps to get people thinking that skirts are OK for men. If a kilt is seen as being in a special category of its own, neither trousers nor skirt, and is accepted as menswear, how can wearing a kilt get people thinking that a skirt is menswear too?
Promoting kilts will NOT help to get skirts recognised as menswear. However, it may get more men to try a kilt and realise how much comfort they have been missing out. If those men continue the thought process and realise that other kinds of skirt will be as comfortable, but lighter, cheaper, easier to clean etc, etc, etc they may just try a skirt.

So promoting kilts could indirectly increase the number of men trying skirts.

Have fun,

Ian.
The way I see it is like this. In countries like Australia, everyone here knows what a kilt is and accept it as a men’s garment, but outside of a marching bands you will never see a guy wearing one. By promoting kilts, we are promoting the IDEA of wearing an unbifurcated garment, without the stigma of a skirt, and the positives such as, women love it and it looks cool and masculine. Here in Australia, men really just don’t know that they can wear an ubifurcated garment if they want to, even if its a kilt or sarong. Guys here think that the only options they have are only pants or shorts. By getting men to see that they DO have the option to wear unbifurcated garments in a garment that is already a socially acceptable mens garment, then the idea of introducing different men’s skirt designs will not be so much of a taboo. Once men are comfortable walking around in kilts and utility kilts then the idea of other skirt designs (which has been pointed out, can be cheaper, lighter, easier to clean) will become more acceptable. Moreover, as designers play with the idea of modernising the kilt, they will begin to create more skirt like designs.

Could you imagine the day when walking through the shopping centre you see on the (male) manikins all different kinds of kilts designs, because kilts have become the lasted fashion trend to hit mainstream for men. Not just tartan kilts but kilts in all different materials and even designs. When I see this in the shop I would say that we have just about won our fight, because other skirt designs will only be a style away. We are already one foot in the boat with kilts. Women love them, guys think they are cool, it would be so easy to make them popular, with a little organised effort. Once kilts are in fashion, making skirts of all different designs acceptable will be much easier if not a natural evolution.

This may be different in Scotland or England were a kilt may be seen more in a tradition sense and not associated with other skirts, but in other western countries I believe that the mentality would be much like Australia. In saying all this, I will be continuing to wear skirts (just try and stop me) but I believe our fight may be better won with the kilt, and with the kilt I intend to fight the good fight. We have seen a real revival of the kilt, especially in US and europe. We also see that people are far more inclinded at this stage to accept the kilt than other skirts. I think this final taboo will be better won through gradual change and thats why I think the kilt may be our trump card to play with, our tool to getting the job done.

In My Own Opinion. :D
Last edited by SkirtRevolution on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

:D
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

All a bit sweeping, no one item of clothing can make a guy automatically "hot".
S.S. is absolutely correct, the Kilt, in Scotland, is pretty much unremarkable. A common sight, maybe not unless there is a special event.
However, these are increasing. Not just Burn's Night but any major sporting event and it will be much in evidence with no real problem of acceptance. I would not say the same for any man in a plain skirt even if he did look a sight hotter than the ugly dude in the tartan.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Last weekend saw Dublin and several nearby towns well supplied with Scottish rugby fans and about 99% of them were well kilted. This pic.appeared on the Irish Times online, but alas I couldn't get it to enlarge.
If any photo was designed to make wearing blue jeans look really silly, here it is!
Kiltres Scottish rugby fans.jpg
Tom K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:If any photo was designed to make wearing blue jeans look really silly, here it is!
Oh, that comment got one mighty snicker from yours truly.

It's nice to see jeans as the "odd man out" from time to time!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

May be the guy in jeans was the "odd" one but that picture could have been very different if he had been wearing a denim, or any other, skirt.
Don't ever get the idea that the kilted ones are more liberal simply because of their current dress. That could be dangerous, if not suicidal.
I do not jest.
Steve.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I agree completely on the idea of men in kilts being HOT!!! WOOL is known as a rather HOT fabric in anything except cold climes. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Guys,
On the similar German language site Rockmode.de I submitted that same photo and have just had a reply from 'George McGregor' who lives in a little hamlet South of the Danube half way between Vienna & Bratislava.

He identified the kilt tartans L-R. as: Mc Lean of Duart, Thompson, Mc Leod of Harris, Wallace, Black Watch, Campbell Ancient & two Mackenzie(s). That guy knows his tartans!
I joked with him back that he had left out the Streetmarket-anonymous Mid-blue Denim at right!.

Tom K.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

On Stevie's warning note: I'm sure that lot would get pretty rowdy after several pints of 'The Black Stuff', which is part of the reason for a weekend in Dublin.
To muck in with them I'd need to be about 23 years old....a third of my present age.

Tom K.
Skirt82

Post by Skirt82 »

Cannot wait to procure and wear my first kilt!
Thanks for posting.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

........and when you do, Sk82, this is how you keep it clean. Depending on the water temperature it can give credence to the statement that Men in kilts are Hot!!!

T
Bathing your kilt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

:lol: That's a bit drastic, Tom.
You can get a good washing machine for less than the price of a "properly made" kilt.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Bathing kilted?
I would have suggested white water rafting.