I finally did it! Ordered a 21st Century Kilt Suit!

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

I finally did it! Ordered a 21st Century Kilt Suit!

Post by Ray »

I've promised myself this for ages, and as I get married in May, I thought that I would buy an appropriate outfit.

So today I have travelled from Birmingham to Edinburgh and back (700 mile round trip) to see Howie Nickolsby and his awesome little shop. One kilt suit duly ordered - green tweed with a purple line and purple lining. It's awesome! So is the price - a four figure number. Still, it's a bespoke kilt and a similar suit would cost as much. I will get huge wear from it.

I will also be buying a business kilt suit. Deepest blur with a purple pinstripe check pattern. I'm saving up. Can't wait!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I finally did it! Ordered a 21st Century Kilt Suit!

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Congratulations! I knew genuine kilts were expensive but I sure never thought it would be in the four figures, even though it is a suit. I wonder, does that include the shirt? Anyway, 'cool beans' as we say here in the US. I finally bought a new kilt on eBay for 36 pounds (about $58.18, includes shipping) and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive from Ireland. I'm sure it's probably acrylic fabric or some such. Anyway, again, congratulations!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Ray wrote: One kilt suit duly ordered - green tweed with a purple line and purple lining.
Wow, drool, envy; how I'd love to own one just like yours. In photos, tweed kilt suits look fantastic (never seen one except in photos!).
Trouble is I'd never get to wear it, being a resolutely laid-back dress-downer. Apart from putting on a jacket & tie for my daughter's wedding last year, I have not worn anything resembling a formal suit since ...? can't remember when.

On the other hand, if I had such an suit, perhaps I'd think up all sorts of good reasons to wear it -- as I'm sure you will, Ray.

Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, I've visited their site and drooled over their customer gallery and matching kilt/waistcoat/jacket outfits. I'm delighted for you that you are in a position to have one made up for you. Green with envy would be a more accurate description.

Your bride-to-be will have a job upstaging you.

When you get it you must favour us with some pics....

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom,

I most assuredly will provide some pics. I am very aware that I have not yet posted any - a situation which needs to be rectified.

Proper kilts are expensive, but they are such good value over time. I've worn my tartan one 100+ times, and my grey one about 50 times. Both were bought in the 1990s.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Well done.
I've done the Derbyshire to Edinburgh and back in one day too and it's a long day!!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Congrats for the upcoming wedding. I also got married in one of Howie's kilt suits. Top notch quality!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Well, I have the kilt and it looks and feels spectacular. My only problem now is getting a brown sporran but Sporran Nation do a few cool versions so that's promising. That aside, it's all I hoped it would be and the 11oz material is really fine.

The wedding is 12 May - so once I return from honeymoon I will post some pics.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:The wedding is 12 May - so once I return from honeymoon I will post some pics.
Congratulations, Ray -- not just on the 21st Century Kilt Suit but also the upcoming wedding! Here's wishes for a long and successful union! (Raises glass)

Piccies will certainly be appreciated. The ones I've seen in the promo material are positively smashing. 'Tis a pity the prices are, too, but that's to be expected for bespoke garments.

Enjoy your time in the limelight!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well Ray, the Big Day draws near. Brown sporran......Brown brogues, too? Will the missus be in white or off-white? Gets me excited just speculating.

I married a daughter off just five years ago now and the fun of planning things was all-consuming for a time. I expect it's the same for you just now. Have a great Day, a geat honeymoon, and we'll all be privileged to goggle sat your pics.....

T.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Ray wrote:Well, I have the kilt and it looks and feels spectacular. My only problem now is getting a brown sporran but Sporran Nation do a few cool versions so that's promising. That aside, it's all I hoped it would be and the 11oz material is really fine.

The wedding is 12 May - so once I return from honeymoon I will post some pics.
Congratulations!
I trust we'll see you in the Derbyshire Times?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Well done!!

Howie is a nice bloke and I've bought a few kilts off him in the past (also got married in one of his kilts about ten years ago).

Since then I've lost weight and I can't afford to have these taken in :(

Rene
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

looking over those kilt suits makes me almost want to do a hard core diet, a kilted suit of his in Ancient Fraser would be a great addition to my wardrobe...FIRST, I have to lose about 100 pounds....hmmmm....think, think, think...:faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Losing 100 lbs.....Cheapest first option would probably be a length of pliable rope with a handle on each end. I know skipping is boring, but so are almost all other forms of exercise except perhaps swimming.

Personally I wear a chestband and wrist heart monitor to tell me how the ol' ticker's doing during exercise. Time-honoured performance-monitoring method is to stick to just one variable per session:
1/ Constant terminal HR, say 120 bpm. constant time, say 20 mins. Variable would be the number of skips done in that time not going over the target Heart Rate.
2/ Constant terminal HR and target no. of skips, say 1000. Variable being the time taken to do that number.
3/ Set time and nr. of skips, say 50 per minute, and 20 mins. time (1000skips) Variable being your terminal HR. This is potentially more dangerous if you're not used to it.

I do this sort of thing 4X weekly (apart from actual outings in a boat) on a Concept 2 rowing ergometer, which has a performance monitor and I note every session and can refer back to sessions done last month, last year, 2 years ago, 7 years ago &c.

Crash dieting is, frankly, for the birds!

With sensible frequent exercise of at least 20-30 mins per session you can eat heartily & still lose some weight.

T.