First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Post by pelmut »

mishawakaskirt wrote:... Id say set up some kind of candid video camera to record happens
Just don't violate any local laws.
Ask a friend to follow you at a discrete distance and report what they see and hear later.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...Curiosity makes me want to get apair of those mirrored rear viewing glasses to see what othes are doing or how they are reacting to me in a skirt or kilt, or the "invisable denim skirt" it might be an eyeopener. Let's find out how invisable our skirts really are. Id say set up some kind of candid video camera to record happens
Just don't violate any local laws...
Some people are going to stop and watch you walk away. Some will lean over and say something to their friend. In short, they'll behave just as they would for any other unconventional fashion. But don't let this stop you. Dare to be unconventional.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Technically Saturday October First was my second time out in public wearing a traditional Kilt.
Lafayette IN has a Historical reinactment event, called the Feast of the hunters moon. Its well worth the trip, if you live less than 200 miles away. I live 118 Miles away.
Getting back to my story. This living history event has, American, French, British, American Indians, and Scottish. reinactors. So at least if anyone asked why the kilt I could make some refrence to the Highlanders.
Observing people, people largely don't notice, or just didn't really care, I may have gottern a few second glances, but nothing overly obious. I passed by two ladies that seemed to me were watching me. They appeared to be amused by me but in a "we like what we see" way :)

I had a great time in my black watch kilt. The feast was a great field test, the day was overcast, and it rained several times. At no time did my legs get too hot or cold. Amazing freedom of movement. Kilts are on the rise! I saw atleast 7 other non reinactors in kilts. 4 more Traditional kilts and 3 util/mod kilts.
I got my FIRST complement.!!! An older lady said to me " I love a man in a kilt"
If you saw me after that I was probably walking 3 feet off the ground. :)
I took jeans along just incase. They were never needed, once kilted, I remained that way all day. From 8 30 am to 10 pm ish. This male peacock is out of his cage and lovin every minute.
Mishawaka :)
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...Amazing freedom of movement...
An observation I often make myself. Also, excellent ventilation and no chaffing.
mishawakaskirt wrote:...This male peacock is out of his cage and lovin every minute...
Enjoy your new life!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Congratulations!

Have fun!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

SkirtRevolution wrote:
I will try and put some pictures on the site to show how I looked. I think this was a really good experience. Every skirt has it advantageous and disadvantageous, a few things I really love about the kilts is

1. Masculine without a doubt
2. Heavier than skirts so they are great in the wind and don’t flop about.
3. Besides comfort they have great moveability.
4. Perfect for cold weather but can be cool in summer
5. Durable
6. No.1 Man skirt accepted by society.

I think I will be rocking the kilt a lot more and can’t wait.
As formal wear, traditional kilts look grand in a way hard to find in any other male outfit.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Lv jim wrote:There are a lot more kiltmakers and styles than
I expected plus more materials, i just thought
They would all be wool.
There are also PV (Poly Viscose), which dont cost the earth ($80 upwards), which are ideal as a starter kilt, then of course loads of bargains on ebay :ugeek:
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Happy St. Stephens Day.
Today technically was the third time I have worn a traditional kilt out.
This however might have been the most significant instance to date.
Earlier today, I called my sister and father, seeing if they wanted to have dinner.
after picking a time my sister stated she wanted to try that place I had mentioned several weeks before that had good fish and chips. Which just happens to be a restaraunt called Fiddlers Hearth that has a celtic pub theme.

(Pinch me am I dreaming? What an opportunity to wear a kilt) I informed them both with phone calls that it was a fine selection with me, very good fish, and that it being a Celtic themed pub they might see a man or two in kilts. That was all that was said. I put on my black watch kilt, forest green dress shirt, 2 wide leather belt, and leather work boots, I decided to not wear a sporran.
I picked up my sister first, being dark in the car I could tell she had not seen my kilt, so I asked her if she remembered me saying that she may see a man or two in a kilt. And turned on the interrior car lights. After a slight smirk and a subdued laugh from her, I asked her what she thought, and if she thought dad would be ok and not have a heart attack after all he is 81. If you frown against it I did bring trousers, I can change into before we pick up dad. She didn't really give a bad vibe so I. Continued on to pick up dad.so we arrive at the pub. Some how nothing more is said about the kilt, at this point I have butterflies in my stomach. We walk toward the pub in a strong cold wind, ( ok I'm not dreaming, I am wearing a kilt) We enter the pub, it is busy turns out it's St. Stephens day? ( I Googled and educated myself on the day). We ordered three rounds of fish and chips, enjoyed the live music, paid our bill and left. On the way to the car my sister commented on my boots (not the kilt???) Dad and us talked most of the dinner time and when I droped him off, however no comment on the kilt. (Is wearing a kilt that much of a non event?)
I am going to give them both a day or two and give them a call. I will
update you If anything eventful develops.

So with all that said, I am encouraged and perplexed at the same time.
Now a sister and my father have seen me kilted

Have a good St. Stephens day, what's left of it anyway.

Mishawaka

mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

A wonderful evening. The only disapointment to the night was that I did not see any other gents in kilts at the pub. :( Encouragement in numbers. I did catch atleast one lady looking at me, :) while we were waiting on my dad to get his coat on. Other wise I feel like I blended into the white noise, than be center stage. I'm glad that was the case, id probably run off like a frightened deer if some one had said one of the what under the kilt jokes.
Succesful eventful/uneventful night :)

Mishawaka

Liam

Post by Liam »

Go cat go!!! :D :D :D

I wear utility style kilts, but never have negative reactions. Usually no reaction and sometimes really positive ones. I say, just keep rolling with it. :cheers:
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

As usual, I went to my friends Polly and Allan's church for midnight candle-light service on Christmas Eve wearing a kilt.

Black shoes with white shoe socks peeking over the top of the leather, then black lace-trimmed footless tights and a Stillwater Kilts Standard kilt in Irish National tartan with a black long-sleeve turtle-neck tshirt under a white long-sleeve turtle-neck sweater and a black blazer set up with a hint (1/8 to 1/4") of black showing above the white sweater turtleneck above and the black blazer below, and the sleeves going from black blazer to white sweater to black tshirt in 1/8-1/4" increments. Happily, things stayed in place. But then again, I've done this layering effect before. :)

10 lovely ladies greeted my presence with oohs and aaahs and some conversation, as well as about 4 gentlemen (possibly spouses of the ladies). This is the third year I've gone kilted to this service and the highest positive response. Possibly a combination of the kilt and the overall outfit with the layers and separation/visibility of the layers on the sleeves and neck. Other than the kilt, everything was from my Lane Bryant wardrobe. :D And then there were 2 or 3 people after the service that commented favorably on the kilt. Wonder what next year will bring? 8)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Liam wrote:Go cat go!!! :D :D :D

I wear utility style kilts, but never have negative reactions. Usually no reaction and sometimes really positive ones. I say, just keep rolling with it. :cheers:

I like that Go cat go!

I too have a couple of utility style kilts that I bought in November, but I have not worn them out of the house yet. I bought my kilts in a relatively short time period.
I have no problems with wearing a kilt, its what other people think where I have the problem. Id love to take a" I Don't give a rats bum what others think " attitude, But that's not my personality. I'm very vested in what other think of me ( I'm known for my calm temperment, logical, and mental fortitude, and conservative stance.) I guess its a fear of appearing out of character to the ones I know, If I lived on a desserted island by myself, my trousers would be used as rags and fire starter material.
NOW that this train is rolling, maby kilt wearing is more of a non issue than I anticipated proceeding with caution, with hope for more kilt time and less trouser time in 2017.
Best wishes,
Mishawaka

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...NOW that this train is rolling, maby kilt wearing is more of a non issue than I anticipated proceeding with caution, with hope for more kilt time and less trouser time in 2017...
I'm sure your fears of what people might think are far worse than what they'll actually think.

For almost four years now, I've worn utility kilts in public most of the time and almost never gotten a bad reaction. Like, once every few months someone will give me a glare or hrumpf but that's about it. No fashion police, no black helicopters, no circles of people pointing and laughing, no street gangs taking out you out back and beating you up. Most people are too concerned about their own business to even notice.

You will get some surprised looks, like the person thinking, "WTF?" and then a half second later, "Oh well," but you have to stand tall and expect that. I mean, you are dressing in an unusual way. But people dress in unusual ways all the time just for the fun of it, and you'll be no different.

caultron
DonP

Post by DonP »

I love that I can go out in a kilt and, while it is unusual, it's not considered feminine. From the few discussions I have had with people, many would like to try them but they feel intimidated.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

DonP wrote:I love that I can go out in a kilt and, while it is unusual, it's not considered feminine. From the few discussions I have had with people, many would like to try them but they feel intimidated.
Some of it's that, but I've also had a lot of people ask where in town they can shop for one, and when I tell them you pretty much have to buy them on the Web, they lose interest.

Some of that's size, I suppose, but I think it's more about being able to try a few on to see how they look and feel.

caultron