First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Last night was my first time wearing a traditional kilt in public when I went shopping at Woolworths with my wife? I have been wearing skirts in public more than anything else for some time now and most of the time no one ever notices but I knew going out in a tartan would be a different experience so until now I hadn’t ventured out in the kilt. Well, good news, what a great experience but one that was a little different to wearing a skirt.

It is true what others say, a traditional kilt does get noticed a lot more than a skirt, but then again nowhere as much as what I expected, as many didn’t pay any attention to my attire at all. The one big difference that I noticed when wearing the kilt was my confidence. I felt so much more confident in the kilt and was surprised at my “yea that’s right I’m wearing a kilt and don’t give a stuff what you think” attitude. I felt masculine, rebellious, trendy and of course comfortable. Unlike when wearing a skirt, I was more than happy for everyone to see that I was wearing a kilt as if to say “take that, you sissies wearing pants”. What I noticed is that mostly guys took notice of my kilt and the expressions on their faces were priceless. It was as if some of these guys looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It was like they were thinking, “Can he do that? Why can’t I do that? If I was man enough I could wear a kilt! I want to wear a kilt, but can I be man enough?” All in all, not one snickered or were there any odd looks, in fact I think the guys were more intimidated than anything. I sort of felt a little like a 80s punk guy which may I say in totally in right now. Whoo Hoo!

I will try and put some pictures on the site to show how I looked. I think this was a really good experience. Every skirt has it advantageous and disadvantageous, a few things I really love about the kilts is

1. Masculine without a doubt
2. Heavier than skirts so they are great in the wind and don’t flop about.
3. Besides comfort they have great moveability.
4. Perfect for cold weather but can be cool in summer
5. Durable
6. No.1 Man skirt accepted by society.

I think I will be rocking the kilt a lot more and can’t wait.
jimskirts

Re: First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Post by jimskirts »

Did you get wool? What maker?
Congrats on the kilt
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Lv jim wrote:Did you get wool? What maker?
Congrats on the kilt
My kilt was from Sportkilt. in a black watch tartan. I am really happy with the quality, material, weigth etc. I will be getting another on from them, probably Steward Black which is one of my family tartans. We also have a kilt maker about an hours drive from home that does traditional wool, so I will be getting one from them in all black for more formal occassions but I will have to save for that one.
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

There are a lot more kiltmakers and styles than
I expected plus more materials, i just thought
They would all be wool.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Well done - another convert!
I see kilts as the easiest option of male skirting as they are undeniably masculine. I do still have occasional lapses of confidence when in a skirt, but in a kilt life is good, and adds some real edge to going on otherwise routine or boring missions. Store persons also usually treat me with a little more politeness for some reason. I don't know if others find that.

Pete
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

I find the same thing. Kilts definitely give you more confidence.

And when some far superior being :lol: insists on calling it a female item I take great delight in pointing out it is a male garment from the knees up with the apron etc... That always stops them dead in their tracks :D

I must admit though I have moved on from tartan designs to the more modern kilts which are plain coloured with heaps of pockets. I just hate sporrans for everyday use and for me a man bag does not do it.
My weapons of choice for every day wear are from Rkilts. Try pure hemp, you will never look back, and if you want to spoil yourself, (and destroy the bank balance) grab one of his leather ones, its like slipping on a Rolls Royce :D

Rob
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Tassierob wrote:its like slipping on a Rolls Royce :D
I have never touched one, far less slipped on one! :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I really would like to get a traditional kilt - along with bagpipes of course! That however costs money and I understand it takes 7 or 8 meters of cloth to make a traditional kilt.

I feel comfortable wearing skirts in public and a little less so wearing dresses. But there is that masculine feeling a kilt has.

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm not into leather, at all. I agree though, that a sporran is also a nuisance as an everyday thing, so for my money the velcro-fastened Sportkilt with hidden slash pockets (where you'd normally have them in trews) behind the flat front apron does it for me. For very reasonable money they make 'em the right length and in any fabric you like, but their 'normal' stuff has pleats that last forever and look good, without taking 8 yards of heavy material to make them.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wearing a kilt or a tartan skirt usually results in an engaging conversation.
Wearing other types of skirts and skirted (skorts) athletic wear it is like
folks just ignore you but if you look closely their eyes are watching you
closely and dart away if the eye contact is noticed.
What is most interesting is the little tykes who are exposed for the first
time to a man in a skirt and are so perplexed asking their parent(s)
innocent questions about the event.
I have experienced various forms of engagement - Some just shooing away
the difficult answer or simply turning and going another direction.
Then there are the most honest forthright folks who explain that the man is
wearing a kilt or skirt that looks like a kilt.
Some even add that he must be in parade or civil event or maybe a theatre production.
Anyway it is always interesting to be out an about in an unbifurcated garmet !
What amusing is that the first time you wear an unbifucated garment it is
you who is the one that is apt to shy away from the crowds.
Wearing in public is a great deal easier than explaining to family folk and perhaps
neighbors about your preference for this type of clothing.
So carry on - the more often you are kilted it just becomes second place and natural !

"So-Don't-Worry-Be-Happy-Kilted"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Not exacly a conversation, just a young teenager asking insolently "What's that?"
"What's what?"
"That schoolgirl's skirt."
"It's just a man's skirt, that's all."

No point in stopping to say any more.

No, tartan kilts do not go down well in Spain where they look like school girl's uniforms!

Martin
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

couyalair wrote:Not exacly a conversation, just a young teenager asking insolently "What's that?"
"What's what?"

No, tartan kilts do not go down well in Spain where they look like school girl's uniforms!

Martin
Here in the US I find that most people simply don't notice if I am wearing a denim skirt instead of shorts since the fabric is so much alike. My denim skirts even have 5 pockets just like jeans.

I'll bet if I wore a kilt it would be more noticeable.

John
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

couyalair wrote:Not exacly a conversation, just a young teenager asking insolently "What's that?"
"What's what?"

Martin
"Whats Thats".........."Thats a girl who needs an education!!!!! LOL

I am finding that even though I may be noticed more in the kilt I am gettinga far better reaction from people. I bought a Semi-tradition kilt from USAkilts, It is an excellent kilt, comfortable as it is a top quality PV but looks like a 5 yard wool kilt.
mcpacker

Post by mcpacker »

JohnH wrote:I really would like to get a traditional kilt - along with bagpipes of course! That however costs money and I understand it takes 7 or 8 meters of cloth to make a traditional kilt.

I feel comfortable wearing skirts in public and a little less so wearing dresses. But there is that masculine feeling a kilt has.

John
By traditional do you mean a wool kilt or just the traditional style regardless of material?
If it is the latter check out Stillwater Kilts. They have some very affordable options but limited in number of tartans. I have two of their acrylic economy kilts which cost $52 each. They are well made for the price and great for the casual traditional kilt style. Their 8 yard wool kilts are only about $149 but, like I said, they only have a few different tartans.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

r.m.anderson wrote:Wearing a kilt or a tartan skirt usually results in an engaging conversation.
Wearing other types of skirts and skirted (skorts) athletic wear it is like
folks just ignore you but if you look closely their eyes are watching you
closely and dart away if the eye contact is noticed............

I have experienced various forms of engagement - Some just shooing away
the difficult answer or simply turning and going another direction.
Anyway it is always interesting to be out an about in an unbifurbcated garment.

rma
Curiosity makes me want to get apair of those mirrored rear viewing glasses to see what othes are doing or how they are reacting to me in a skirt or kilt, or the "invisable denim skirt" it might be an eyeopener. Let's find out how invisable our skirts really are. Id say set up some kind of candid video camera to record happens
Just don't violate any local laws.

Mishawakaskirt

Mishawakaskirt

If anyone is able to do something like this and get some findings, please share them at the Cafe.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.