Utilikilt, noticed or not

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by skirtyscot »

couyalair wrote:Stepping into a skirt and then having to smooth down the shirt-tails inside is almost as bad as putting on trousers.
Agreed it's a bit of a chore, especialy if you do it hte most effective way, which is to lift the skirt up until you can reach the shirt-tails. But the benefits of wearing the skirt outweigh this - it's a minor problem!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair

User avatar
Milfmog
Moderator
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Milfmog »

Martin,

Utilikilts certainly have not stopped making wrap around kilts; they've simply added a new alternative to their range.

Have fun,


Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

janrok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by janrok »

Martin,
Wrap around or not, UK's have a fixed waist size with unforgiving studs. There's no velcro adjustment.
A pity really!

Jan.
Last edited by janrok on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnie
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by johnie »

Hi Martin.

Got an e-mail back from Utilikilts, saying that my asumption it was a skirt one way, and a kilt with the apron attached, was not quite correct. They included a photo, showing what I take to be the front, and it seems that you step in, and then fasten the front (as in pants, but not with a zip,) but press studs. on a yoke as they call it. They still call it a kilt though.
It does not seem to have an open apron to the right as a kilt does. I like it, but you raise a good point about the size having to be righr, and not allowing for an increase or decrease in waist size as a kilt does!!

johnie :o

skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by skirtilator »

Martin,

Utilikilts certainly have not stopped making wrap around kilts; they've simply added a new alternative to their range.

Have fun,


Ian.
Wrap arround kilt is a pleonasm. Some funny guy wrote about a kilt without pleads, which is an oxymoron. :D Once upon a time there was a all around pleated kilt in the age of the early kilt AFAIK. :roll:

xman29
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by xman29 »

Milfmog wrote:My experience of wearing UK's is different to Tassierobs. I find pleated skirts are more noticed than unpleated designs and the UK is the most obviously pleated skirt I own because of the heavy material. More folks notice and comment on the UK than on any other skirt.
The reason why they comment on it is because they know it is a kilt and so therefore a men's garment and socially acceptable. When they see a regular skirt on a man, they notice it, but don't comment.

I was running today for the first time in an Elkommando kilt. From the front, it looks rather skirt-like because the apron is wide and the pleats are not visible from the sides. The only clue that it is not a female skirt is that it has cargo pockets on the sides, and is not in a typically exclusive female color. Also it has no manly buttons on the front. I waved, made eye contact, and said hi to everyone that I passed, and I swear that more people than normal looked away and didn't acknowledge me back compared to if I were running in shorts. I didn't have enough data to tell for sure, but if true, that was discouraging.

User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4122
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Caultron »

xman29 wrote:...I waved, made eye contact, and said hi to everyone that I passed, and I swear that more people than normal looked away and didn't acknowledge me back compared to if I were running in shorts. I didn't have enough data to tell for sure, but if true, that was discouraging.
I find the reverse. People are more inclined to acknowledge me when I'm wearing a shirt or kilt.

A few who probably would't have acknowledged me anyway might get a bit stonier but oh well, the pluses still outweigh the minuses.

If, of course, you go about looking for signs of rejection, you'll probably find them, even if none actually exist. Most likely they'll just be a reflection of your own trepidation and perception.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron

Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Grok »

xman29 wrote:
Milfmog wrote:My experience of wearing UK's is different to Tassierobs. I find pleated skirts are more noticed than unpleated designs and the UK is the most obviously pleated skirt I own because of the heavy material. More folks notice and comment on the UK than on any other skirt.
The reason why they comment on it is because they know it is a kilt and so therefore a men's garment and socially acceptable. When they see a regular skirt on a man, they notice it, but don't comment.

.
And if a particular individual would like to try a kilt, he might well ask you about yours. I have been accosted by the curious while wearing a Utilikilt.

dillon
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2712
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:
xman29 wrote:...I waved, made eye contact, and said hi to everyone that I passed, and I swear that more people than normal looked away and didn't acknowledge me back compared to if I were running in shorts. I didn't have enough data to tell for sure, but if true, that was discouraging.
I find the reverse. People are more inclined to acknowledge me when I'm wearing a shirt or kilt.

A few who probably would't have acknowledged me anyway might get a bit stonier but oh well, the pluses still outweigh the minuses.

If, of course, you go about looking for signs of rejection, you'll probably find them, even if none actually exist. Most likely they'll just be a reflection of your own trepidation and perception.
I'd hope to find you wearing both a shirt and a kilt at the same time. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'd be thinking. It may call for analysis.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...

User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4122
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:...I'd hope to find you wearing both a shirt and a kilt at the same time. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'd be thinking. It may call for analysis.
Sorrey, tipografical air.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron

User avatar
Milfmog
Moderator
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Milfmog »

xman29 wrote:
Milfmog wrote:My experience of wearing UK's is different to Tassierobs. I find pleated skirts are more noticed than unpleated designs and the UK is the most obviously pleated skirt I own because of the heavy material. More folks notice and comment on the UK than on any other skirt.
The reason why they comment on it is because they know it is a kilt and so therefore a men's garment and socially acceptable. When they see a regular skirt on a man, they notice it, but don't comment.
That might hold water as an argument if it were not for the fact that my Utilikilt tends to garner more reaction than my traditional kilts do. The simple truth is that most people don't give a monkey's cuss what you wear and the majority of the reactions you will see are really imaginary, seen only because you are looking for a reaction.

Have fun,


Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

6ft3Aussie
Distinguished Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I tried my utility kilt last night, went out to one of the local shops and then to the Bottle'O to get some beers, not one comment, probably a couple of second glances, but no one that I noticed paying any attention to me.
There was two girls right behind me in the queue at the Bottle'O, they continued their conversation with each other and seemed to pay no attention to me, the girl at the till treated me the same as any other time.

At the end of the day I was just going about my business, as was everyone else. That was it, no obvious reaction from anyone that I was aware of, and there was probably 8-10 people in the Bottle'O at the time. Not sure if people noticed or not, I was just going about my business as i would quite normally.

User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4122
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Caultron »

6ft3Aussie wrote:I tried my utility kilt last night, went out to one of the local shops and then to the Bottle'O to get some beers, not one comment, probably a couple of second glances, but no one that I noticed paying any attention to me.
There was two girls right behind me in the queue at the Bottle'O, they continued their conversation with each other and seemed to pay no attention to me, the girl at the till treated me the same as any other time.

At the end of the day I was just going about my business, as was everyone else. That was it, no obvious reaction from anyone that I was aware of, and there was probably 8-10 people in the Bottle'O at the time. Not sure if people noticed or not, I was just going about my business as i would quite normally.
Sounds like a great experience!

I'm sure that you'll continue to find that wearing a kilt or skirt in public is a much smaller deal than anyone imagines. Except maybe you.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron

Tor
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Tor »

UKs are noticed, for sure. In the handful of hours I've been out and about in mine, I've gotten two positive comments - and none negative.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"

6ft3Aussie
Distinguished Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Done something similar again tonight while wearing my utility kilt, this time a kid that was with his mum made a comment, I noticed that she went red and moved away with the kid, but didn't say anything. Very strange I thought. She never made eye contact with me, looked as if she was confused about what she had seen, and avoided me as though I was a child abuser or gay. I simply carried on with my business and left before anything happened.
Just a local shop not far from here.

Strange or what?

Post Reply