Stump Town Kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
StumpTown Kilts

Re: Stump Town Kilts

Post by StumpTown Kilts »

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience we have caused with the virus issue on our site. Seems we have been under attack, every time we remove a virus we get hit with more and people seem to be hacking into our system and adding users. I feel very confident that this has been resolved and now all 3 partners (TimmyG, Jonny and I (Cyd)), are actively running virus checkers and changing passwords frequently.
I would like to offer a 10% discount to anyone whom was affected, or just plain annoyed by the virus. We have created a kilt that we like to call "your kilt", the kilts were designed with you in mind. We have a low maintenance, wash/dry friendly, adjustable waist with attachable pockets that allow you to customize your pocket placement. We all have our own ideas on where and how to wear our pockets, so the pocket strap give you the flexibility to put it where you want. We use high quality fabric and upholstery thread that does not shrink or stretch, which helps keep the seems tight.
Check us out, and when your ready for your discount let me know and thanks for your patience,
Cyd
StumpTown Kilts
503 867 7049
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Cyd and :welcome:

Thanks for your offer but even with "the discount" I can get 2 kilts from
http://www.stillwaterkilts.com for the price of one of your kilts. You may be
competing with Utilikilts (of which I have 2 UK's) but even they are
becoming out of the price range for the "everyday John Q. Public".

If you can develop a kilt that is easy cared for(think wash-n-wear),
of a modern durable fabric and under $100.00 US then your 'target
market' will be much greater than you'd ever expect.

OK - That's my $.02 worth :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Cyd,

With UK, Unionkilt, Skilt, Tartanista and many, many other utility kilts already on the saturated market I really see no need for yet another one.
They look nice allright but so do all the others.
185 bucks is a lot of money and I agree with Uncle Al that if you want to be successful you should seriously consider pricing under $ 100.

I own two sportkilts but what I really would like is a tan uni coloured Sportkilt in stead of tartan.
With the same excellent pleat keeping properties, deep slant pockets and at the same price.
Perhaps a challenge for you?

"Our kilts are designed with you in mind"
Not me cause I don't like all these darkish colours and your kilts are a little too short.
It would have been better to simply ask potential customers what they want in stead of guessing by starting a topic like What would your ideal fashion kilt look like?.
Not only here on skirtcafe but also on the European sites like the German, Dutch/Belgian, French and Spanish sites. You could embark on an interesting niche market.
There are lots of skirt/kilt wearing men here.

Jan.
Last edited by janrok on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

janrok wrote: "Our kilts are designed with you in mind"
Not me cause I don't like all these darkish colours and your kilts are a little too short.
It would have been better to simply ask potential customers what they want in stead of guessing by starting a topic like What would your ideal fashion kilt look like?.
Not only here on skirtcafe but also on the European sites like the German, Dutch/Belgian, French and Spanish sites. You could embarke on an interesting niche market.
There are lots of skirt/kilt wearing men here.

Jan.
Jan,

I am trying to fill some of that niche market for those who want an alternative to the kilt or the skirts from the women's department. I am seeking feedback from the skirt wearing public on the design. I hope to have the professional sample on YouTube before the weekend is over. I am also trying to keep the cost below $100 .
I will post here and anywhere else I can find when I get the next video uploaded.

Peter
www.thefreeman.com.au
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Peter,

I watched your video and your design looks promising. I even posted the link on the Dutch site but the daughter of a friend qualified it as a "Grandma skirt".
I am old enough to be a granddad so I am not critical about the design; comfort is my main reason to wear skirts.

Do not forget a tan coloured option!

Perhaps Morgan Freeman will be one of your customers!

Jan.
StumpTown Kilts

Post by StumpTown Kilts »

Thanks for the great feed back, we really like to hear what others think of our product. From reading the responses, I see now everyone is in conjunction with our product, but like every other product on the market, its not fore everyone. If it is too expensive, too short, or the wrong color, that is unfortunate, but for others, the length is just fine, the color is something they like and the price, for a garment we 100% guarantee, is ok. Yes, you can go buy another kilt for under $100 dollars and you get what you pay for. Most every kilt out there is one size, ours are adjustable which means you should be able to wear it for years, and for our price for $185, a garment of good quality, to me, is worth the price. Were not trying to rip you off or sell you a cheap product, and selling it for your requested under $100 does not allow us to make money and move forward. Our initial goal was to be under $100, but after years of design, that was just not feasible.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I own several kilts and have made 4 of my own. I find $185 expensive. However, I do like the look of the stump kilts and would consider purchasing one if the price were closer to $100.00

I wonder how Sportkilt is doing it. They have a product which is decent and can be had for around $100 depending on size and options. For instance, I recently purchased a Campbell kilt, size large, fringe on the right edge with sewn-down pleats and buckle closure for $111.50. I have worn it several times and it is well made and is adjustable (within reason). Now, if I were to leave the buckle closure off and just go with the velcro, then the price is $93.50. The velcro without the buckle makes it very adjustable, but I like the look of the buckle.

The fabric is very nice, it's not wool, but it is decent fabric. I purchase my own fabric at JoAnn's for my projects and I haven't seen anything this nice at JoAnn.

Perhaps they have brownies doing their sewing at night?

http://www.sportkilt.com/product/9791/C ... nt%29.html

In the image below, the kilt on the left and the right (not center) are SportKilts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

As an operations manager for a company, I understand perfectly, overheads and profit margins, and in my own opinion I have to say that the kilt that STK provides, its craftsmanship and quality, is at a very reasonable price. Moreover, for $185 they are far more competitive than other companies. In fact I have to say that StumpTownKilts have done a great job at reducing the price compared to UK or Skilt etc.
janrok wrote:Cyd,

With UK, Unionkilt, Skilt, Tartanista and many, many other utility kilts already on the saturated market I really see no need for yet another one.
My response to this is.....MORE THE BETTER!!!!! How many different designs of womens skirts made by thousands of different companies are there? We are still far behind for mens skirts/kilts. The more companies that are producing the kilts then the more we are going to see them on the streets and the quicker unbifurcated garments for men are going to become acceptable and in demand. The reason why more companies are making kilts is because they see a market where there is a profit, because there is obvious demand due to the growing popularity of kilts. We often talk about this when we complain that skirts/kilt are not mainstream in wallmart or target. Well, soon many of these companies will start offering a cheaper design if they continue to see a growing trend in men wearing kilts.

Furthermore, as more companies offer different designs then not just kilts but many other skirt designs are going to be made available, and yes, at a reduced price. I often hear on this site people say, why won’t people design skirts for men? Well they are! And the evolution of these kilt designs will begin to incorporate other skirt designs as time goes by.

In contrast, if these kilt companies are not making any money, they will close down! Then we will be back to square one complaining.... “Why is nobody making skirt/kilts for men?” It’s all about supply and demand, and companies and future entrepreneurs will only move into this market if they see a demand, and thus profits.
It may not be possible for everyone to buy kilts or utilitykilts and that’s fine, but if we only buy women’s cheap skirts we are not representing the demand for skirt for men in the market and few will every make them, yet when we do buy from these companies we send a powerful message that this is what men want.......Skirt garments.

We need to support our brothers in arms, whether we buy or not, for whatever reason. This is OUR market. Just go to the shops now and you will see more pants and pant design for women than you will for men, because woman have built their market by buying and supporting it. This is just how it works!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

:D
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »