??? about wearing a kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Hemitom

??? about wearing a kilt

Post by Hemitom »

Is it really wrong to wear tights/hose with a kilt?? last winter i wore my kilt with black tights and really didnt have any problems...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: ??? about wearing a kilt

Post by crfriend »

I suppose that the answer to the question would vary depending on the millieu the kilt was worn in and what "standards" were applied.

Fortunately, many of the rather hidebound "rules" that apply to what may be worn with The Kilt are fading into obscurity -- especially with the rise of the casual wearing of the garment -- but many of those "rules" may well be still in force for formal occasions. If one is out for an evening at the pub with his pals, it's probable that one can wear whatever he wants with his kilt; the same likely holds true for most mundane day-to-day activities. However, for formal settings, I rather suspect that the old "rules" are still very much in force and dictate the special shoes, kilt hose, jacket, and shirt. The knife is optional depending on one's local laws.

I am so miffed that I managed to lose the sgian dubh that my father gave me as a youngster. However, as it was double-edged, it'd be illegal to even possess, much less carry, in the jurisdiction that I currently live in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Hemitom wrote:Is it really wrong to wear tights/hose with a kilt?? last winter i wore my kilt with black tights and really didnt have any problems...
To purists it is extremely wrong. But that is due to tradition. And when tradition started, tights had not yet been invented.

Like you I started wearing grey and black tights with my kilts last winter, but only because it was bitterly cold.

However, it did, to my opinion, not look nor felt that bad and even if I prefer kilt hose, I certainly will wear tights again this winter. I think that people in general have a greater understanding for tights than cold knees.

Image Image Image
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

I think it is also important to seperate the modern and plain block colour kilts from traditional tartan kilts also.
I tend to treat a tartan kilt with far more reverance because chances are it is someones clan tartan and so more likely to offend if worn wrongly. Plain kilts however I believe anything goes. The more different ways they are worn the more they will be accepted, just like a women in a skirt where anything goes these days.

As for tights, in Tasmania where we have cold winters also I discovered thermal shorts at a local camping store. Perfect as the only bit that gets cool are the knees and for me I enjoy the cold anyway :D
My favourite winter kilt is still pure 16oz wool but plain green so I dont feel like I am representing a clan. Fantastic feel and movement, not to mention warm!
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

GerdG, I like your outfit, you don't need to hide your face tho...
ramoninaskirt

Post by ramoninaskirt »

Its a good look and if someones miffed then so what ! You have captured the look and are warm to boot. You don't have to show your face , even a drunken monkey would get the idea from the great pics. you posted.
' not just another pretty face'