Tartan Skirt for Boys and Girls

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Tartan Skirt for Boys and Girls

Post by Stu »

This is interesting - a children's supplier offering a "kilted tartan skirt for boys and girls". Note - it's not called a "kilt" - it is a "skirt".

http://www.jemsclothing.com/childrens-t ... skirt.html

At one time, nobody would have dreamed of referring to a garment for boys as a "skirt", but this product's description seems to be suggesting that the taboo seems to be fading.

Stu
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Tartan Skirt for Boys and Girls

Post by crfriend »

That is a most encouraging development! Thanks, Stu, for posting it.

The garment shown is kilt-like enough that it works well, especially for children, and quite possibly might represent the "thin edge of the wedge" to normalise non-trousered looks for guys. Nice catch!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is this garment intended for everyday wear? I understand that traditional kilts are now seldom worn except for special occasions.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Yes, this is exactly the kind of garment that could be the "thin end of the wedge". I now have a grandson and, if he were a bit older (he is just 8-months) guess what he would be getting for Christmas! :)

Grok - this is most certainly for everyday wear - it is very different from a proper, formal boy's kilt: this is a unisex skirt! Good, eh?

Stu
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

WHOOHOO, this is great. When I was young I loved these skirts but in Australia they were exclusively for girls. It is great that this is advertised as a unisex garment...as skirts should be! especially kilted skirts as they were always worn by boys and it would be great to see a come back for young boys not just men.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Youth is the key to acceptance. Just imagine what would happen if skirts, kilts, call them what you like, became "the thing" for the modern guy to be seen in.
Retailers and small kilt manufacturers could not keep up and we would get overnight acceptance as being totally modern men!
Now there is something to dream about.
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

can you tell if the person in the picture is a boy or a girl?? just wondering...I really can't tell

http://www.jemsclothing.com/childrens-t ... skirt.html

never mind...its a girl...http://www.jemsclothing.com/images/garm ... et-lrg.jpg
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Good call.

Clues:
Kilt pin on left - kilt opens on left side (feminine)
Finger nails look polished and a bit long
Black hosiery or tights
Mary Jane type strap shoes
Cable knited sweater although that could go either way but in white tends to be feminine

Further research of the web site produces the photo with a girl in the kids kilt.

rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
schoolkilt

Post by schoolkilt »

Growing up in the South Island of NZ , my highschool and other surrounding highschools schoolgirls wore a kilted skirt shame the option wasnt available to the boys then as i would have loved one at school. But saw a guy on youtube wearing a girls kilt at school from the same city so maybe they do allow it in some circumstances. I now own my old schools girls kilt and other schools kilts and love wearing them.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I have 3 grandsons and I've considered buying them all some type of kilt for Christmas but I'm not sure how their parents would feel about it. They've all seen me in my kilts and accept it but it may be that crazy grandpa kind of acceptance. BTW, 2 of the boys are Campbells.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hate to be a wet blanket, but this is not all it seems from our viewpoint. There are many Scottish outlets for "childrens kilts" ,that is, they are marketed as essentially "unisex" and most certainly not for every day wear.
These things are actually aimed at the "souvenir and aww! how cute" market.
They definitely have no significance in terms of any cultural shift in attitude toward men in skirts in Scotland or anywhere else for that matter.
As for the whole school uniform question, I guess a lot of us were envious of the girls', kilted or not. That's a "minefield", I simply would not explore here.
Steve.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Well, no matter whether thought out for special events or every day wear, the manufacturer explicitly call it a Kilted Skirt for boys and girls, not just a unisex or a children’s garment.

The girl wearing it is casually dressed. A boy could of course wear it the same way.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

GerdG wrote:The girl wearing it is casually dressed. A boy could of course wear it the same way.
...but, almost certainly, won't.

Sadly,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

I agree!!! I wish I was young again!!!!