Adjustable kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
sharpstick

Adjustable kilts

Post by sharpstick »

I have a ten year old UK that fit pretty well when I bought it. Over those years, I've lost almost 30 lbs of weight and 4 - 5 inches of waistline. Needless to say, my UK does not fit well anymore. I now leave it unsnapped and overlap it, missing the last beltloop. It fits well now, although the front now overlaps the right pocket a few inches.
I am now looking for a khaki (a la BRC Ranger) kilt. I don't foresee any more radical size changes in the near future, but I would like to have a kilt that is more adjustable.
UKs are well made, but a bit high priced. I'm now considering some alternative makers, and also considering making my own. I'm looking at Amerikilts and Tartanistas. (I'm in the USA)
I'm also leary of ordering without trying it on first, especially if the sizing is so critical. I measure myself now as 35 or 36. My old kilt is so stretchy, even though it is denim, that it is probably 44 plus or minus 2 inches. A new kilt will also be subject to shrinking after a few washes.
It seems that a garment that is designed to last for many years could be more adjustable to the changes the average human goes through over that time frame.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Adjustable kilts

Post by GerdG »

Neither Amerikilts nor Tartanista kilts are adjustable. Here the traditional kilt is way better.

I have two Amerikilts. They both need intense and frequent ironing. Therefore I hardly use them, even if I like the plain design.

The Tartanista kilt is much better in this respect, and, at least for an European like me, cheaper as well.

Greg
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.