Kilt on Fire

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt on Fire

Post by Kirbstone »

I expect most contributors have perused the Sportkilt site and come across this interesting item they offer to make to order. Having misfired with another tartan supplier once, I've managed to get Heritage of Scotland shop to send Sport kilt some appropriate red tartan material with which to make me up a Kilt on Fire.

Today I've heard that all the ingredients are in place and in two weeks I can expect to receive my bespoke kilt of that ilk from them. Trick is that the red bits are to match a tartan waistcoat I already have, which should be nice. Self indulgence again.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt on Fire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Zounds !

Egads with Valentines Day just around the corner looks to be that you will be in festive "RED" tartanville !

Hope this project of yours is different from the commercial red with the Royal Stewart plaid - maybe the Wallace tartan.

SportKilt seems to be the only pro-active kilt source to make custom kilts from scratch or from stock/store inventory.
I recently ordered a custom "Team Kilt" from Sportkilt:

http://www.sportkilt.com/category/59/Team-Kilt.html

Black exterior with their USA Tartan inserts inside of the box pleats and matching flashes.
19" length with 4" belt loops for a wide non standard kilt belt.

Will be wearing it a bit on vacation and will have pix to share later.

"Kilt-On"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It seems we're of like mind, RM. Yes, I find the coloured & tartan inserts in the pleats attractive on Sportkilts. You are brave to go for a 19 incher. At 6'1"+ still (at my age) I would find 19 inches seriously mini and I wouldn't want to wear one so short outdoors. I've gone for 24" from the waist to hit mid-kneecap like my 'Lowlander Potain' kilt, so there'll be plenty of length to give it a nice swing. Big belt loops at the (34")waist, of course, but generous (41") over the hips to accommodate my hands in two slash pockets there which I've asked for.
The tartan was researched to match an existing waistcoat and it turned out to be Cameron Clan Modern, which is bright red with crossed black stripes and the squares outlined in thin yellow lines. This colour will be used to border the 'flames' on the front.
Mine won't be ready for this Valentine's, but I hope to survive to see more of those. I expect we'll shortly be swapping photos !!

Tom K.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I have a 19 incher which I snapped this morning to illustrate how short it is. The 24" Kilt-on-Fire will be more modest.
Nineteen incher red tartan 005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Nice kilt, Kirb..As long as you're standing it's plenty modest. Might be a problem sitting at that length. I think that kilt looks real nice. :D :D :D You look real good for a man of your advancing age. I wish I looked so good. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks for the complimentary observations, Skip. I've put a post into 'How we Age' which might add a little truth to the mix. They say a picture says a thousand words...
Tom K.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

At last I've had delivery of my completed Sportkilt 'Kilt-on-Fire', which initially came without colour in the pleats. The added material stiffness now defines these and makes them hang much better, apart from looking more interesting.

I took a few quickies on the lawn this morning. I think it looks better with the belt & without the 'matching' waistcoat. I've ordered a lightweight Cameron Clan Modern kilt to go with that anyway, from Heritage of Scotland.

Tom K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Wow! Great looking kilt!
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Spectacular look, well done!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I mentioned in a previous post that I had ordered a Cameron Clan Modern kilt from Heritage of Scotland. Well it's arived. An 8-yarder, but in 'lightweight' 10oz tartan. The overall effect, however is tartan overkill, and it looks better with a monochrome top after all.
Cropped-Cameron Clan Modern June 2011 002.jpg
Cropped-Cameron Clan Modern June 2011 014.jpg
Cropped-Cameron Clan Modern June 2011 020.jpg
Tom K.