"Long Kilt"

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Long Kilt"

Post by Big and Bashful »

On the subject of (woollen) kilts and dry cleaners, I was reading up on kilt care, since I now have my new one. Dry cleaning isn't recommended because it removes natural oils from the wool so don't do it too often. The recommended clean for spillages etc. is the damp cloth and the wipe apparently.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Long kilts are good - I have several. Be aware, though that the long kilt is a loaded garment. In Scotland, there is a music competition called a Mod. The men wear kilts and the women wear kilted skirts. When they win a competition the women (and only the women!) change their kilted skirts for maxi kilts, and to wear a maxi kilt without winning a competition is regarded as a significant social error.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

rivegauche wrote:Long kilts are good - I have several. Be aware, though that the long kilt is a loaded garment. In Scotland, there is a music competition called a Mod. The men wear kilts and the women wear kilted skirts. When they win a competition the women (and only the women!) change their kilted skirts for maxi kilts, and to wear a maxi kilt without winning a competition is regarded as a significant social error.
There's more to this kilt "ettykett" than meets the eye! :!:
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

The red and black tartan with the white lines, which you have chosen, is the Cunningham Modern tartan. I have some of that fabric from JoAnn's, which was given to me by my friend in Los Angeles. I use this lighter weight fabric as a covering for our table at the Clan Cunningham tent at highland gatherings.
Here are a couple of photos of a kilt and waistcoat in this tartan. The first picture also shows two lengths of lightweight tartan, one is by Lochcarron of Scotland and the other from JoAnn's.
The kilt is in heavyweight wool and was made in Scotland.
The waistcoat belonged to my LA friend's late father and she passed it on to me after his death.
I will be very interested to see pics of your finished product.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/