Can anyone tell me what tartan this is?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Re: Can anyone tell me what tartan this is?

Post by Different_Trains »

I've learnt a lot too. Thanks everyone! :)
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Got a possible answer, Royal Airforce Tartan, they are requesting a closeup photo -- can we get one?

Here is the Royal Airforce Tartan:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

As long as the thread title is appropriate, let me ask the same question about the kilt in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_bahPP ... re=related

I have seen a lot of red or green tartans, but I would like to get a blue one like the one in the video.

PatJ
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Yes that is Royal Air Force tartan.
I have a kilt in that exact same tartan.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

check Bannockbane or Lesotho tartans.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Post by Different_Trains »

Thanks everyone for your help!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi
The tartan or check is not all that important, the main thing is that it pleases your eye and feels good in the wearing.
I'm a Scot and I hadn't heard the term "kilt nazi" either but I have met the type. The hype surrounding "clan tartans" is a good example. Some nuts out there believe you must have a specific surname to have the right to wear a specific tartan. Rather misguided as most modern tartans are only as ancient as the Victorian period I.E around the late 1800s.
There is one major difference between a modern Scots male kilt and a kilted skirt, the amount of material and therefore the price. The very inexpensive kilts, we call "drinking kilts" are made identically to a skirt with opposing fastenings.
steve
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hmmm... "drinking kilts". I rather like that concept. It describes the notion of a casual kilt-like garment rather nicely and calls up the fact that it's not designed to be worn in the fussy manner (in my opinion) of the all-up formal rig, and one can get it dirty -- and wash it out -- without risking major financial exposure.

Whilst outwardly resembling a kilt, I'd posit that these items are in a new class altogether -- and I like that notion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi CRfriend,
You got that in one, they are almost designed to be disposable. The main clientele are the sports fans, which, here means rugby or football. My son, who owns the full regalia, says that they are good enough to be sick on. This is not meant as a derisory comment, merely a fact. Indeed, they have put the kilt within the reach of those with a limited budget. They also kill all the rubbish about "clan tartans" as they are only produced in a few generic designs.
Steve.
PS this is my real name, Stevie is a nickname from school.