Nothing better than a wool kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Nothing better than a wool kilt

Post by jeanfor »

I know summer is sometimes too warm for a wool kilt, but I much prefer wool than other fabrics. I like the feel of wool the smell of wool much better. I have sensitive skin, but I found that a good quality wool does not scratch at all.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nothing better than a wool kilt

Post by AMM »

Right now, here in the Northeast USA, it's been 30-35 C (85-95 F) or higher every day for over a month, and stays above 25 C (80 F) even at night. The humidity is around 90% or worse day and night. I am having trouble forcing myself to wear any clothing. I wore a cotton twill kilt to church this morning, and as soon as I got home, I had to change into a light-weight cotton skirt. I cannot imagine wearing my wool kilt (made by a Real Scottish Kiltmaker(tm)!) in this weather.

And that kilt is somewhat scratchy in any weather. It's OK in winter, although I usually wear it with a cotton liner ("underskirt").

There may be a wool garment that wouldn't be impossibly uncomfortable in this heat, but I can't imagine what.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:There may be a wool garment that wouldn't be impossibly uncomfortable in this heat, but I can't imagine what.
A wristband? Maybe....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

You fellows wearing thick wool skirts and kilts in summer's 120F temps please send me a "What fun it is" letter from the Hospital where you're convalescing from heat stroke. I'd be interested in hearing what the hospital staff thought about your summer wear choices. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Well, even though I have one wool blend kilt (50% wool/50% cotton) I would not wear for summer time! Part of the problem is that I'm allergic to wool. The blend fabric let's me wear it in cooler temps. Usually in summer I go to my Sportkilt or Bear kilts. Or a skirt of some sort, cotton twill mostly.
The wool allergy is part of the reason I actually hate pants. Because every winter, growing up I was forced to wear wool pants AND long, wool underwear for warmth. I have fought chronic pneumonia from my childhood on and everyone thought (back then) that "warm"clothes would, somehow, stop me from gettin ill. You would think that after a few years it would be obvious that wool clothing didn't help.
That's why, even today, I have to gear myself up to put on a pair of long pants.
Shorts don't bother me but long pants do.
Hey, AMM, where do you find "cotton liner (underskirts)? I'd loveto find smething like that for fall or winter wear. Something not in nylon with frills.
DALederle
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

DALederle wrote:Hey, AMM, where do you find "cotton liner (underskirts)?
In my drawer :tongue:

More seriously, I buy maybe 2 yards of muslin or batiste per underskirt at the fabric store, plus some 1/4" elastic, cut and sew the cloth into a cone shape, cut some elastic and sew it into a loop, then fold the top seam of the cone over the elastic and sew it so as to enclose the elastic.

I'll need to do a few more 18" long ones plus some 15" ones for my new above-the-knee skirts pretty soon....
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

DALederle wrote: Hey, AMM, where do you find "cotton liner (underskirts)? I'd loveto find smething like that for fall or winter wear. Something not in nylon with frills.
DALederle
If you are in the USofA a store like Vermont Country Store would probably have slips in cotton. I haven't shopped there since mail order days, but that is the type of goods they carried. I have a silk slip with very little decoration from WinterSilks. Below the knee length cost me in the mid-$20s.
Of course, you have to be ok with the word 'slip' :lol:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco