inexpensive kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

inexpensive kilts

Post by rick401r »

I need a new kilt but I can't afford to spend much. My last one was from Stillwater. All they offer are various tartans. I have their Black Watch economy kilt. I would order another but I'm hesitant about wearing a clan's tartan (I'm not Scottish). I would prefer a solid color but I haven't seen any in my price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Re: inexpensive kilts

Post by jeanfor »

rick401r wrote:I need a new kilt but I can't afford to spend much. My last one was from Stillwater. All they offer are various tartans. I have their Black Watch economy kilt. I would order another but I'm hesitant about wearing a clan's tartan (I'm not Scottish). I would prefer a solid color but I haven't seen any in my price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Why solid color? If you do no want to wear a particular clan I believe they have tartans for that. Why deny yourself colors. But I read that it was ok to wear a clan tartan even if not from that clan.... Or you could find a plaid fabric and have it done for you . I know sportkilt.com does it.
Last edited by jeanfor on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rick401r wrote:I have [Stillwater's] Black Watch economy kilt. I would order another but I'm hesitant about wearing a clan's tartan (I'm not Scottish). I would prefer a solid color but I haven't seen any in my price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?
There are quite a few tartans that are not clan-specific; in fact many US states have their own designs, so in your case you could very happily and proudly wear the Ohio tartan (if the state has a registered design, that is). Too, the Black Watch tartan is a non-clan-affiliated design that's open to anybody who wants to wear it -- it's a "safe bet".

The whole thing of "proprietary tartans" smacks of the whole bit of "the old school tie" anyway; yes, perhaps you're not supposed to wear it if you're not part of "the club", but in the end if there's no harm there's no foul. Ultimately, there's also the point that a lot of the whole "tartan trademarking" is a rather recent phenomenon anyway (like 120 years or so).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

crfriend wrote:The whole thing of "proprietary tartans" smacks of the whole bit of "the old school tie" anyway; yes, perhaps you're not supposed to wear it if you're not part of "the club", but in the end if there's no harm there's no foul. Ultimately, there's also the point that a lot of the whole "tartan trademarking" is a rather recent phenomenon anyway (like 120 years or so).
FWIW, this is covered in a paragraph of the "FAQ" that I wrote a year or two back:
AMM wrote:B.3. Do I have to be a member of a clan to wear the clan's tartan.

Do you have to be a Harvard student to wear a Harvard sweatshirt? Or a Yankees ballplayer to wear a Yankees cap?

Also, there are quite a few non-clan tartans: some U. S. states have their own tartans, and there are a fair number of generic tartans.

Also keep in mind that non-tartan kilts, such as tweed, are just as "traditional."

If someone is giving you a hard time, claiming you don't have the right to wear a particular tartan, you could point out that the whole idea is an anachronism. Back in the days of Highland clans, people wore whatever tartan they liked. The idea of "clan tartans" didn't start until the 19th century, long after the Highland clan system had been destroyed.
The FAQ was supposedly put into a wiki, but I've never been able to find a link to it (hint, hint, hint)
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

A few weeks ago I purchased an "Everyday 5yd Kilt" in forest green, from Tantanista, for £23.99 including the postage. Whilst I didn't have any great expectations given the price, I decided that at that amount of money I could hardly go wrong.

The kilt is definitely a budget one, but I reckon that its very good value for the money. I normally just wear it indoors. It didn't come with any care instructions, but when I emailed Tartanista they said that is could be washed in a machine in warm water (not hot ! ) but must not be tumble dried. I suspect that its best not to use it in situations where frequent washing would be required.

http://www.tartanista.co.uk/

Has anyone tried one of their Utility Kilts at £49.99 ? I'm temped to try one at some stage.

John
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Celtic Croft (I think you can reach them via the internet at celticcroft.com or something like that) had an economy kilt made of acrylic, not wook, for about $59.99 or something like that. As soon as I can I want to order one. Also amazon.com had a used kilt for $20. I was going to buy it, but the seller didn't mention what size it was. :cry:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

johnb wrote:
Has anyone tried one of their Utility Kilts at £49.99 ? I'm temped to try one at some stage.

John
Hi John,

Yes I have one of their Utility KiIlts. It's quite a heavy being made from cotton and you certainly notice this when wearing it. The sewn down pleats makes ironing it after washing quite easy, but the solid material makes it a little uncomfortable when sitting down so be sure to get a size that you can adjust up and down or wear it a little lower rather than around the true waist line. It's certainly hard wearing and for the price is worth buying.
I want to wear skirts without judgment just as women can wear trousers.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Adrian wrote: Hi John,

Yes I have one of their Utility KiIlts. It's quite a heavy being made from cotton and you certainly notice this when wearing it. The sewn down pleats makes ironing it after washing quite easy, but the solid material makes it a little uncomfortable when sitting down so be sure to get a size that you can adjust up and down or wear it a little lower rather than around the true waist line. It's certainly hard wearing and for the price is worth buying.
Thanks for the information Adrian. It sounds similar so far as feel and comfort go to the Blaklader kit that I own.

John
WyoProspector

Post by WyoProspector »

Perhaps you will find what you are looking for at UTKilts. You can buy a black or tan utility kilt from him for $60US. I just ordered one so i can't vouch for the quality however his ebay reviews are quite good.
I can't think of anything to put here that won't offend SOMEONE.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

WITH VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EXCLUSIVE TARTAN.
It's a myth that you have to have some particular birthright to wear a plaid in a specific design.
As a Scot, my particular tartan, Kennedy, is not my favourite in any sense. Ugly springs to mind.
The real question is cost. If you can spend more, the greater the choice. SIMPLE
Steve.
Unfortuately, ugly yes, proud of it, definitely. How weird is that?
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I wear the Utility kilt from Tartanista quite regularly and find it very comfortable.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
flarob

Post by flarob »

rick401r wrote:I need a new kilt but I can't afford to spend much. My last one was from Stillwater. All they offer are various tartans. I have their Black Watch economy kilt. I would order another but I'm hesitant about wearing a clan's tartan (I'm not Scottish). I would prefer a solid color but I haven't seen any in my price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you looked at the site for Sport Kilt?
ziggie

Post by ziggie »

I'll echo the Sportkilt suggestion. I have a Sportkilt and a Stillwater, both are great. The Stillwater is a bit heavier and a bit more traditional, but the fabric in the Sportkilt has a nice feel and the fit is good. The advantage of Sportkilt is that they have a variety of universal tartans and non tartan kilts available, while still offering a reasonable price point.

The only problem I've had with my "Irish Revenge" Sportkilt is that my wife swipes it to wear to work.
I know, I know, I really need to post an Avatar.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggie wrote:The only problem I've had with my "Irish Revenge" Sportkilt is that my wife swipes it to wear to work.
Ha! That's equality at its very best indeed.

Though we're different sizes, Sapphire and I do have some rather fancy skirts that were deliberately purchased to be sharable to keep the budgetary load to a minimum. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and vice-versa, so long as a sense of fair play is borne in mind.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

I, and two of my sons, have Sport Kilts. I like them because as I fluctuate from 36 to 38 inches in my waist - the Sport Kilt can adapt, and I like the "flow" when I spin. IN ADDITION: I was about $7.00 away from "Free shipping" on my first order and the owner phoned me on a Sunday to let me know...I purchased an extra pair of Kilt sox and got the "Free shipping," which means I got a free pair of sox. I LIKE THAT!!! JAYCE