El Kommando komments

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

El Kommando komments

Post by Taj »

OK, sorry about the cute spelling, but I couldn't resist. I bought one of these from REI and received it a couple of weeks ago. The weather and time finally allowed me to give it a try on a short hike like it is supposed to be made for. Yup, it is a big improvement over the original Mountain Kilt. It's unfortunate that REI is not confident enough in their sales to stock it in the stores where one can actually try on different sizes. I am 5'11", between 155# and 160#, and take a 33" in Wrangler or 34" in Utilikilt. 34" is a bit on the loose side. I tried the medium and large in the old style Mountain Hardware kilt and had to go with the large. I bought the large in the El Kommando, too. I suspect that I might have fit the medium, but might have been at the limit. I don't know for sure. The large actually was quite comfortable after I tightened the supplied belt enough. (I prefer to use my own belts and may sew on some belt loops around the back someday.) Over all it wore and rode quite nicely tromping around the hill side while I took pictures of deer and wild flowers. The hem hit just above my kneecap and walking was a breeze, both ways, easy and breezy. The fabric is comfortable and I figure it will soften more as it ages. I have washed it only once to take out the factory sizing. Well, that's a big data dump and I guess I'll back on out for now.
Cheers,
Taj
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: El Kommando komments

Post by Since1982 »

I thought it was an odd name for a man's skirt tho...after all, changing just one letter means wearing nothing under your skirt. Aka Commando. :?: 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I also received mine this April. It is very lightweight and I like that. It has the cargo pockets, but no side-slit pockets. I prefer the utility of the side-slit pockets, but like the "cargo" look (go figure). It is drab green, thus, not very interesting and kind of hard to color coordinate with anything reasonable -- unless you want to be a bean. Overall, I like it and will keep it, my use will be just for casual knocking around and not for anything the least bit dressy.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
WyoProspector

Post by WyoProspector »

I bought one of these for hiking and prospecting here in the Rocky Mountains. I got tired of always watching to see if anybody was around to see me in my skirt. I feel I can more confidently defend my wearing of a kilt if the situation should arise. I like the color, it goes great with desert digital camo. :o

Yes, it is a little stiff even after the first wash but as mentioned, it is lightweight and should wear well once the snow stops flying.

I could not wear my skirt in front of my wife but she is accepting the kilt. She admitted that with my stocky legs, I look good in it.
I can't think of anything to put here that won't offend SOMEONE.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

My wife liked my kilt, and that opened the gate for more skirty skirts. Not got an outside pass yet, but I live in hope.

Paul
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Anyone know what's up the El Kommando kilt by Mountain Hardware, appears to be out of stock everywhere, wondering if it's been discontinued!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

REI still lists it on their website but it appears to be out of stock in all sizes. I'm not very impressed with the color and the price! Yikes, $75US. That's twice what I paid for the cargo skirt I bought last summer.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Last year,when I bought mine, I used my dividend and discount making it about half price. Since then I have modified it. I wanted belt loops so I cut and hemmed the bottom up to the logo. This gave me matching material to make the belt loops and shortened it enough to not be annoying on my knees hiking up steep trails.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.