Elkommando Kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
David R

Elkommando Kilt

Post by David R »

Here is an article previewing the update to the Mountain Hardware Mountain Kilt (a very practical men’s hiking skirt); the new Elkommando Kilt
http://www.backpacker.com/hiking_kilt/b ... _dirt/1338

Interestingly, from the description the Elkommando has pleats at the back to fall in with the apparent community consensus that pleats at the back with a plain front make a knee length skirt a kilt. The original Mountain Kilt is not pleated, which I find is great on windy days. Pleats if used anywhere should be in the front to permit leg movement. ie kick pleats. I don’t know anyone whose legs bend backwards requiring pleats of fabric at the rear for leg movement.

The Mountain Kilts were great. I hope they aren’t out of production. But I will certainly be keen to order the new Elkommando Kilt.

This is fantastic development for men’s skirts that a mainstream clothing manufacturer is adding a kilt styled skirt to their range of menswear.

David R
Milfmog

Re: Elkommando Kilt

Post by Milfmog »

Looks like they've reversed the apron so that this one opens on the right (traditionally the side guy's clothing opens). I wonder whether anyone will import it into the UK?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Does this come in larger sizes? IIRC, the Mountain Hardwear kilt didn't come in any size larger than XL, which as far as I could tell (nobody ever gives actual dimensions any more :( ) went up to maybe a 40-inch waist, so I didn't even bother to look for a retailer.

Actually, it's a general problem with most clothing for outdoor activities: they seem to assume that the only people buying their stuff are trim 20-somethings who spend several hours a day at the gym just for fun.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Milfmog wrote:Looks like they've reversed the apron so that this one opens on the right (traditionally the side guy's clothing opens). I wonder whether anyone will import it into the UK?
Have fun,
Ian.
How about this one for members in the UK, they do them in other sizes
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'm sort of interested in the name..ElKommando..if they were separated by caps, it would be El Kommando and if the K were a C...in Spanish it would be The Commando or the kilt worn naked underneath. I wonder why they chose The Kommando as the name? "Commando" has traditionally meant no underwear/naked underneath with kilts. Hmm. :oops:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I like both kilts mentioned in this thread. I just don't like the import
costs for the second one. Now if they will be made in sizes larger
than a 'toothpick', I'll be grateful.

The hiking kilt at $75.00 is about $5.00 less that a SWK.
It is something I look forward to seeing in the stores.
Maybe even my closet :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
RyeOfTheDead
Distinguished Member

Post by RyeOfTheDead »

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but can anyone provide a link to where someone might actually purchase this kilt? I can't seem to find on the article where the kilt is located for sale.

edit: Oh ok, now I see it isn't out till spring. I'll have to keep checking for it I guess.
isign2u

Post by isign2u »

Sorry but the Mountain Hardwear men’s Hiking Kilt is gone. I contacted the factory and they informed me that the Hiking Kilt is no linger in the product line. A very few online sellers still have some in stock (outfitters at Harpers Ferry) in sizes better than small and medium.
These were a fantastic item, I would put it on the market as a "unisex" item. Both Men and Women look great in it, pockets, belt and a modesty snap made it something I found the need to own 3 of.