Kilt On

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt On

Post by JRMILLER »

Making progress with the kilts, have been wearing them now to events with the wife each of the last 4 days running. I am trying to get her used to the idea of seeing me in a kilt (to her they are skirts). Seems to be working and she has calmed down enough that she now actually sees what other ladies opinions are. Last night, one of her friends said that if her husbands legs looked as good as mine, she would make him wear a kilt all the time. I never really thought much about my legs, but I work out and they are suntanned right now (hairy), so I guess that looks good to the ladies.

I will move the bar higher (read that as the hem lower) over time. I am confident this is going to work eventually. Only been at skirting for 1.5 years, got the rest of my life to go....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt On

Post by rick401r »

JR, do you plan on attending any of the upcoming festivals in our area this year? This weekend is Dayton's Celtic fest. The following weekend will be Dublin's festival. Then, in September, the Ohio Renn Faire.
I'll be kilted at Dayon's festival and I'm a regular attendee at the Renn faire. Not sure if I'll go to Dublin's festival. I've been there once and found it to be expensive and not a lot of vendors.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Rick,
I will be at the Dublin festival and at the Ohio Ren. Festival. Let's coordinate some dates...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

JR,
As I said, I'm not sure about the Dublin Irish fest. The Renn Faire has a Scottish themed weekend. That's when I'll go.
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

It's awesome that your wife is at least not being discouraging regarding your kilts ... letting her see for herself the wonderfully positive reactions of others really does help.

I didn't know what you meant regarding raising the bar, are you wanting your kilts longer or shorter? The traditional length, at least in the Victorian sense, is between the middle of the knee to just above the knee ... keep in mind that deviating from this can get you 'looks' from other kiltmen at Celtic events and Ren.fairs. I wear my kilts shorter than traditional, but I must admit that I only get away with it because of being a burly construction worker. :D

I hope that you will wear your kilts often and in the way that makes you happy, no matter what the length.

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Chris,
Not considering changing the length of my kilts, kilts are pretty much set at knee length as you say. What I mean by raising the bar is to also wear an occasional skirt, I particularly like long skirts. At this point, she really doesn't like long skirts, but time changes everything. Perhaps even opinions!
-John

Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

Yep, you're right, I'm actually trying to do the same thing, branch out from kilts into other skirts ... for me I'm wanting to go into short cargo skirts, sort of like hiking shorts only a skirt. Peggy saw one I bought in my man cave, she said it looked to big for her, I just said ya. After chickening out a bit I mentioned to Peggy that I'd give it to my daughter and she said, to my utter astonishment, "Well I thought you bought it for you." Needless to say I put it on and wore it around the house the better part of the day, even went outside and waved at a couple of neighbors who, being so used to seeing me in short kilts anyway, didn't seem to even notice that this skirt was different.

Sadly, my experience of wearing that cargo skirt taught me that there is a huge difference between a kilt, which is literally made for a man to wear, and a skirt, at least a straight skirt. I couldn't sit down without showing it all, so to speak ... going up stairs would simply flash the world, getting in and out of my Miata forced me to move in ways that I just think are too feminine for me (yes, I tried it). I looked great just standing up and Peggy, as well as her sister who was visiting, only had one thing to say, "Sexy." I'm danged lucky to have a supportive mate, but I do live by my essay, the Frowning Wives of Kiltmen. 8)

Though I'm still wanting to branch out, I have a new found appreciation for the magic of a kilt, even a very short one. Being that I really don't like to have my legs covered I'm wondering now just what kind of skirt I might find appealing beyond my many varieties of kilts. Short straight skirts just don't work on my body, no matter how good they look ... I'm looking now for some sort of denim A-line, I've got one that looks awesome and manly from the front, but the back has some little horizontal decorative pleats that just seem to spoil the whole manskirt look I'm after.

Man, for many, many reasons kilts are just an easier skirt to wear ... the kilting community has already won their specific war against the tyranny of trousers and kilts are finding their way into more and more men's wardrobes. The stark advantage of a kilt is that it is, by all accounts, a man skirt, a skirt for a man, a skirt designed and intended to be worn by a man ... though I think skirts in general are close behind kilts in terms of social acceptance I see an uphill and continuing battle for men to be able to wear skirts that appear feminine ... yet, so far, I've been left to look at ladies skirts for any kind of cost effective option besides kilts.

I'm learning first hand how the challenge of successfully being a Mugsman is a bigger and bolder challenge than being a Kiltman.

Mug ON!

Chris Webb