"New" to kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

"New" to kilts

Post by alexthebird »

I've worn skirts for a long time, but have only started wearing kilts recently. Last November, my wife and I had a vacation in Italy and decided to spend a couple of days in London before coming home. Spend a couple of hours shopping on Regent Street, and in several stores found some nice, reasonably priced kilts ($75 - sorry about the dollar sign, but my keyboard won't do pounds - they were about 40 pounds). We bought two and I've worn them quite a bit. Nice, good, for everyday wear, and it's easier to match them up with "traditionally" masculine tops than it is skirts.

So far, so good. So two weeks ago, my wife is visiting London on business and stops into a much nicer woolen goods store near the British museum. Because our anniversary isn't too far away, she buys a good kilt and a jacket designed to be worn with a kilt. The kilt itself was about $350. I haven't figured out the price of the jacket yet but it's probably more. I won't even go into the sporran or the dagger pin (is there a name for these?). The kilt is gorgeous. It also weighs about five times more than the cheaper ones we bought in November. With the new kilt, the jacket and a black turtleneck, I feel as dressed up as I've been since the last time I wore my Italian suit (which, incidentally, was to my mother's funeral).

The thing is, I have no idea when I'm going to wear this outfit. It's just too d**n beautiful for every day wear, and we just don't get dressed up all that much. Maybe, if it isn't too cold, I'll wear it for Valentine's Day.

I still like my two cheapie kilts, too.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "New" to kilts

Post by Kilted_John »

The only kilts I currently own are full 9-yard wool traditional tanks. They're perfect for daily wear, as long as you're not in a situation where you might encounter grease or other things that might permanently stain a piece of clothing. They're also surprisingly warm in the winter months, due to the amount of wool.

I say, wear it, and enjoy it.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo