Meaning of the word Kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Meaning of the word Kilt

Post by Since1982 »

Something I picked up today on the Internet... Definition of the word Kilt.

To kilt: To tuck up (something) around the body. [From kilt, to tuck up, from Middle English kilten, of Scandinavian origin.] clothing of kilt form was originally worn by Vikings, who left many things in the British Isles in their many raids for plunder. The original Kilten were not pleated but did have an apron like overlap in the front.

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Meaning of the word Kilt

Post by Raakone »

Interesting. A Scandinavian connection to the kilt? I always thought it was called a "kilt" because of what happened to the last person who called it a skirt! *GROAN!*
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Of course the Vkings wore Kilten skirts, didn't you ever see a Capital One commercial? Where the big hairy horn-headed Viking says in his kilten, "What's in YOUR wallet??? ( one wonders if Vikings HAD wallets)...:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :ciao: :hide: :hide: :sorry: :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Since1982 wrote:Of course the Vkings wore Kilten skirts, didn't you ever see a Capital One commercial? Where the big hairy horn-headed Viking says in his kilten, "What's in YOUR wallet??? ( one wonders if Vikings HAD wallets)...:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :ciao: :hide: :hide: :sorry: :welcome:
It gets worse......the latest theory is that the Vikings never wore horns on their helmets....the fear was created by the sight
of the sight of the Vikings in their Long Boats.....The aim of these raiders was to become rich from their acts of rape and pillage.....

The Viking traders and settlers are a different story.................weeladdie
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

weeladdie18
You realize you have resurrected a thread from 10 and half years ago
and the author Since1982 is posting in the hereafter and probably just as prolific there as he was here.

Now back to those Vikings - no not those Minnesota wanna-be - I can say that - I live and exist among them.
Did they actually come for Norway or Sweden perhaps even Denmark ?
Did they actually visit the Mississippi River headwaters near Alexandria leaving the Kensington Ruinstone ?
They were accomplished seaman sailing their longboats in waters unlike the Caribbean or Mediterranean.
They were sailing before cruise ships plied more friendly waters.
It was no wonder that castles were built along the coasts - leave no raid uncompleted and ravaged.

But is all this just fantasy were the Vikings wearing kilts during their sailing raids ?
All this escalated by Hollywood of what Viking culture was supposed to be !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

R.M. The origins of the Word ...." Kilt " ...are fairly accurate in this original Skirt Café Thread.....This is why I used it as a reference point.
The old Local Historical References in my Part of South Dorset show that Viking Raiders and traders visited the South Coast of England
and navigated the old Harbours and rivers to the settlements at the head of the river.....It is interesting to consider how much knowledge
and skills of seamanship these mariners had to navigate these estuaries with shallow waters and strong tidal currents.

Poole Harbour is claimed to be one of the largest natural harbours in the world.....
The story goes that the Vikings went up the river to Wareham and burnt the Town.....
The trip from The Harbour Entrance to Wareham takes over an hour in a modern small boat.

The Vikings also Visited Weymouth and went up to Radipole....Since Viking times some English and Cornish Rivers have silted up and
are no longer Navigable.

There was a Scandinavian based Viking Exhibition at the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth ,Cornwall a couple of years ago...
There were full size replicas of Viking Boats on display,.....together with artifacts recovered from digs......

The suggestion is that the Vikings were raiders from the Scandanavian Countries....
It is also suggested that the Viking traders settled in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.....
The problem is that History can be rewritten with new Archeological Research.

It was suggested that England was warmer at the time of the Roman Invasion and the Romans were able to grow wine producing grapes.
This lead the later Vikings to settle in Greenland....which was a shorter hop to America....
However I have no reference as to any suggestion that the Scandanavian explored America before the European Settlers arrived .

There is some doubt that the Vikings actually wore The Kilt.....It is more likely that they would have worn an early form of trousers
with a blanket type belted wrap as added protection for their travels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've just read a very authoritative book on the Vikings. They come from the area called Scandinavia - Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. They ranged as far afield as the Middle East and briefly, America. Founded colonies in Greenland and Iceland. Invaded Britain and Ireland many times and were a thorn in the side of both for hundreds of years. The Danes made substantial inroads into colonising England, particularly the South East - Anglia, mainly.

In fact no, they didn't wear horns on their helmets.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

But they do now!
Should you care to take a 'Viking Splash' trip around Dublin you will board a WW2 DUKW at Stephen's Green and everyone is issued with a helmet with horns for the duration of the trip. Part of this is a drive down a ramp into the Grand Canal Basin in the South Docks, hence the use of the DUKW. We did it once and it was nothing short of hillarious, so we were 'Vikings' for a few hours that day.
Mssrs. Elf & Sayfty dictated that each DUKW be equipped with side buoyancy for the trip round the docks (Pic)

Tom
Viking splash tour Grand Canal docks, Dublin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Oi! Skipper! You left yer fenders out!

I'm familiar enough with DUKWs to know that they're marginal as trucks and really lousy as boats -- but their single saving grace is that in a pinch they can do both. Just don't try doing it in any sort of a blow.

Who created that meme that Vikings wore horns anyway? My personal guess would be some random costumer for a Wagner opera, but I may be wrong there. In any event, the notion of "horn-wearing warriors from seaward" is likely roughly from the same time-frame as all of the lore about tartans and The Kilt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went out for a trip on DUKW Duck before some of you youngsters were born.....must have been about 1951......
The Marines came from their base in Poole Harbour in Dorset to Studland Regatta
to display how a beach assault landing was performed using a couple of Ducks.....

The Kids were then taken for trips around the bay, to give their parents a bit of peace.....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There was also a display by the frogmen, .....the clearance divers who originally used oxygen rebreather systems
to clear the landing beaches of obstructions.....and sample the sea bed for stability as a beach landing area

The motor launch or Landing craft towed a rubber boat along side... the divers rolled over the side of the boat at speed ...and were
recovered in a similar manner.....The diver in the water held his arm up like a crook and the attendant in the rubber boat
put a rope over the divers arm and he was rolled into the boat..............

There was also a block house on the cliffs which both Churchhill and Eisenhower used to view the training for
the 1944 D Day landings....

Not a Kilt in sight ......I do not get the point regarding Viking Helmets
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There are also wrecks of Valentine Swimming Tanks out in Studland bay...the trials with a swimming tank were not successful

The 1943 Dieppe Landing was the last Assault Landing made by a Kilted Regiment....These were The Canadian Highland Regiment
The landing was a failure as the Tanks buried themselves in an unstable beach...we still had a lot to learn
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I remember correctly British Flying Boats flew from Poole Harbour to America before the war.....
The passengers food was stored in Pick Nick Hampers.....

Poole Harbour is know for its oil terminal with an oil rig on one of the islands.....There is a pipeline to Fawley Refinery in Southampton

One of the Dorset Beaches has an oil terminal with a well stretching 5 miles out to sea...if I remember correctly
this well has been in operation for nearly sixty years............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Back in the seventies or eighties the marines training base on the River Exe in Devon was still using Daffy the Dukw as this was
the only vehicle which would meet its required tasking.

One of the time consuming features of this vehicle was the daily washing down and greasing of the vehicle.
I remember seeing one doing trips from Portland Harbour to Weymouth Harbour after I had retired.....

The vehicle was following me up Weymouth Harbour when I was sailing back to my berth.

Perhaps someone can tell me ......does a sailing vessel which has gone aground under sail, .....
still have right of way over a D U K W under power ? ................L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom ..Thank you for your photo of a Dukw with its safety passenger flotation....
probably to keep weight of craft and passenger and passenger compliment afloat.......

I first thought this was a Yellow Irish Banana Boat.............L.O.L.

The Helford River is upgrading its trip boats this year......They will be using a Victorian Electric River Launch............Rod